Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Smashing Pumpkins
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.01.2011, 06:07 PM   #21
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
Say whatever you want about that Wall comment, but the man pulled off a double album. Mellon Collie doesn't have history on its side, but give it time and it could be seen as the next Wall.
Old 10.01.2011, 09:32 PM   #22
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
Hell yeah! PJ ROCKS! i've seen 'em like 4 or 5 times already. Best album is No Code, fuck! Last time I seen them live they played "In my Tree" which is a top 3(in mybook) off No Code. ANd YES Ten is godawful. I actually like Riot Act too..and I feel embarassed to say that I haven't listened to anything after...lol.

Oh, "In My Tree" is GREAT! Jack Irons was the best guitarist PJ ever had.

Matt Cameron is boring. Sorry.

Anyway, yeah- I've seen them many times as well. They were one of my favorites growing up. I bought every album from Vitalogy thru Binaural on its release day (CD release for Vitalogy). Then I lost interest in the direction they took.

Still, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield are GREAT, and VS. has a lot of good moments. "Go" is a great song. Great way to start a record.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2011, 09:33 PM   #23
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
For the Pumpkins, I like their heavy songs from Siamese Dream, and the epic ones from Mellon Collie. Also "Eye" from Lost Highway.

They could have been something special.
Old 10.01.2011, 11:44 PM   #24
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
I've always loved Adore, MACHINA, and MACHINA II. I also like Zwan. Songs like Come With Me, Ride a Black Swan, and My Life and Times are some of my favorites.

The song Today bothers me... not sure why I'm calling out that song in particular. Maybe because it was mentioned. All of his newer stuff (except for maybe the American Gothic release) is hard to listen to. I will check out Oceania once it's released, but I'm not expecting much.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2011, 01:45 AM   #25
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Oh, "In My Tree" is GREAT! Jack Irons was the best guitarist PJ ever had.

Matt Cameron is boring. Sorry.

Wow! really? I really like Cameron on the drums, he's pretty badass imo. I probably won't ever stop going to PJ shows...their sets are pretty random sometimes too. You have the songs they always play (Alive, BEtterman,evenflwo etc) but then you get randoms which are exciting. They busted out LUkin, and that's also a kick ass song off No Code.

Though they need to omit Evenflow from their set, takes up too much time. Mike just jams on his guitar for 8 minutes and goes nowhere.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2011, 01:47 AM   #26
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
Say whatever you want about that Wall comment, but the man pulled off a double album. Mellon Collie doesn't have history on its side, but give it time and it could be seen as the next Wall.

nah, no wall comparison please. not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Eh...Geek USA is okay, but I never thought it was anything amazing...

But you placed leadbelly...which is an awesome song, but GEek trumps it. but whatevs differnec in opinion.
Old 10.02.2011, 04:03 AM   #27
auto-aim
the destroyed room

auto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's assesauto-aim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel
and My Life and Times

I really liked the acoustic version of this song at the time

His Naked Torso
auto-aim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2011, 08:40 PM   #28
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
coming to a city near you.

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/tour
Old 10.02.2011, 10:14 PM   #29
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Wow! really? I really like Cameron on the drums, he's pretty badass imo. I probably won't ever stop going to PJ shows...their sets are pretty random sometimes too. You have the songs they always play (Alive, BEtterman,evenflwo etc) but then you get randoms which are exciting. They busted out LUkin, and that's also a kick ass song off No Code.

Though they need to omit Evenflow from their set, takes up too much time. Mike just jams on his guitar for 8 minutes and goes nowhere.

They played "Smile" and "Mankind" at one of my shows- forget which... maybe Vancouver? Or Seattle? I've seen them a few times in seattle.

Anyway, those were way unexpected, and I enjoyed the fuck out of them.

I think they should eliminate "Evenflow" from every show from now on. That song has sucked since 1991. And Alive... and Jeremy... the only TEN songs worth a shit are "Porch" and "Oceans".

I'd like to see them again. It's been years.... since Avocado came out. Oh, and I caught them doing a mini-set at one of my fave. record stores just a couple years ago. It was recorded, but I've never heard it.
Old 10.02.2011, 11:48 PM   #30
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro

I think it's far more likely that it'll go down in history as a great double album (I can't say awesome because of too many missteps on disc two-We Only Come Out At Night? You gotta be kidding me), but not some adolescent rite of passage like The Wall...
Old 10.03.2011, 12:43 AM   #31
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
the only TEN songs worth a shit are "Porch" and "Oceans".

qft.

fuck yes.

They played Oceans at my first PJ show!
Old 10.03.2011, 11:04 AM   #32
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Gotta love Siamese and Melloncollie... The rest is meh.
Old 10.05.2011, 03:41 AM   #33
livemusic
empty page

livemusic has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Ahh just heard that Smashing Pumpkins will be selling every show on a flash drive for this tour.. That is shhhweeett!!

It seems like a trend which is picking up rapidly. Saw a few other artists do the same last winter, and I know Alter Bridge would b doing the same for their upcoming European Tour.

And as for Pearl Jam, I saw Temple of the Dog re-union in LA on Oct 6, 2009. A night I wouldn't forget ever in my life!!!
livemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.05.2011, 06:15 AM   #34
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

TotD got back together to do a show?
Old 10.05.2011, 06:35 PM   #35
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
qft.

fuck yes.

They played Oceans at my first PJ show!

Yeah, Oceans live is the shit.

Actually, the best song I've ever seen PJ play live was "Faithful". It's not really a stand-out song, but man, when I saw them in '98 and they busted into that chorus, I don't think I've ever seen them so full of energy, and I've been a PJ fan since... well, since they did have energy. Heh.
Old 10.05.2011, 06:36 PM   #36
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
TotD got back together to do a show?

I don't think so- not properly anyway. But I know Chris played "Hunger Strike" with PJ last year... or something. It's on YouTube.

But I didn't know TotD actually "re-united" ... ???
Old 10.05.2011, 06:38 PM   #37
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbG9C...eature=related

This is from PJ20... but there was one from last year.

Not a proper TotD, I don't think.
Old 10.06.2011, 02:38 AM   #38
livemusic
empty page

livemusic has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
TOTD reunited last September for PJ20, and before that on Oct 6, 2009 for one song Hungerstrike in LA.

And before that in Santa Barbara in early 2000's..
livemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2011, 11:41 AM   #39
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

We Only Come Out At Night?

I actually like that song. And it is funny to go from the crazy heavy rocker of XYU to the light-hearted sounds of We Only Come out At Night.

The chords are G Dminor C G Dminor F5. Simple and its light and fun to play.
Old 10.06.2011, 11:44 AM   #40
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

looks like I shuld've gone to PJ20

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth