Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page flying music....
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.18.2008, 02:01 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i go to college across country (live in massachusetts, attend the university of arizona), so i have to do a fair share of flying. i absolutley despise flying, and to make the trip some what less agonizing, i have a little routine. one routine is taking xanax and sleeping for the entire thing (waking up when the plane is already landed and people are getting off rivals the satisfaction produced after getting laid). thogh, when i cant get xanax, i will usually smoke weed for a few hrs prior to my flight, gets shitloads of candy bars/trailmix/whatever sweets i can get, buy tons of music mags or print issues of blastitude off the net, get books that ive already read and dont have to pay too much attention to to understand, and of course, an ipod. there are always records that i seem to listen to on the plane, ones that arent too mellow, because given the circumstances wil be boring, not too extreme, because i duno, whatever ill shut the fuck up i like these records on a plane:

the fall-hex enducation hour, this nation's saving grace, live at the witch trials, perverted by language
the pop group-y
sonic youth-evol, confusion is sex
van morrison-astral weeks, veedon fleece
captain beefheart-lick my decals off baby, doc at the radar station
john fahey-city of refuge
sun ra-the heliocentric world of sun ra volumes 1 and 2, supersonic jazz
albert ayler-new york eye and ear control
charles mingus-pithecanthropus erectus
thelonious monk-underground
miles davis-the jack jonhon sessions, kind of blue
cecil taylor-unit structures, nerfetti the beautiful one has come
sonny sharrock/pharoah sanders-tauhid
sonny sharrock/herbie mann-stone flutes
neil young-on the beach, live rust, dead man ost
sun city girls-live from the rising sun, severed finger without a wedding ring, the handomse stranger
six organs od admittance-for octavio paz
mbv-loveless
ride-nowhere
slowdive-soulvaki
boredoms-vision creation newsunjandek-the rock crumble, interstellar discusiion
can-tago mago, ege bamyasi
neu!-2
ashratempel-schwingungen
damned-damned damned damned
omar souleyman-highway to hassake
lee perry-super ape
augustus pablo-king tubby meets the rockers uptown

and others im sure, but i put those in a section on my ipod called "flying music"

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2008, 05:46 PM   #2
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
i never really liked listening to stuff on planes. the only reason why i do it is to block out the ridiculous conversations and the millions of babies crying during the trip.

but i prefer more electronic stuff for the plane because it cuts through all the engine noise better than some other stuff and it sounds better.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2008, 05:52 PM   #3
al shabbray

i think the engine noise on planes sounds like if you take a low pass filter over some white noise. just put down the cut off till it sounds like a plane. love that, its somewhat calming
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2008, 06:17 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
flying is great. I just sit there looking out the window like a lil kid the whole time! The secret music selection is Grateful Dead concert recordings.. shit you wont finish the second set before you get to your destination. Flying is a fucking time machine, I took the train to Portland a couple years back, took two days, I fly up there regularly now to see family, takes less then an hour and a half!

more live Dead then Jesus himself knows what to do with!

enough Grateful Dead there to fly across the galaxy let alone the country!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2008, 06:49 PM   #5
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Last time I took a long journey I listened to about a dozen different live versions of Sister Ray back to back. Seemed like a good idea at the time.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2008, 07:03 PM   #6
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I rarely fly. But a good book is enough.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2008, 08:32 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
" I had a marvelous experience two nights ago. I was invited to a rock concert
(crowd laughs). I'd never seen one. This was a big hall in Berkeley and the rock
group was the Grateful Dead, whose name, by the way, is from the Egyptian Book
of the Dead. And these are very sophisticated boys. This was news to me. Rock
Music has never seemed that interesting to me. It's very simple and the beat is the
same old thing. But when you see a room with 8000 young people for five hours
going through it to the beat of these boys, the genius of these musicians- these
three guitars and two wild drummers in the back. Listen, this is powerful stuff!
And what is it? The first thing I thought of was the Dionysian festivals, of course,
this energy and these terrific instruments with electric things that zoom in. This is
more than music. It turns something on in here (points to chest). And what it turns
on is life energy. This is Dionysus talking through these kids. Now I've seen similar
manifestations, but nothing as innocent as what I saw with this bunch. This was
sheer innocence. And when the great beam of light would go over the crowd you'
d see these marvelous young faces in sheer rapture- for five hours! Packed
together like sardines! Eight thousand of them! Then there was an opening in the
back with a series of panel windows and you look out and there's a whole bunch in
another hall, dancing crazy. This is a wonderful fervent loss of self in the larger self
of a homogeneous community. This is what it is all about! It doesn't matter what
the name of the God is, or whether it's a rock group or a clergy. It's somehow
hitting that chord of realization of the unity of God in you all, that's a terrific thing
and it just blows the rest away." (Joseph Campbell And The Grateful Dead,)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2008, 11:23 PM   #8
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Tri Repetae by Autechre is what I listened to on the last two flights I was on. It's got that kinda sterile, aloft sound. Really nice stuff.
Old 08.18.2008, 11:38 PM   #9
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
whatever i listen to normally. meaning whatever i like that i feel like listneing to.

i absolutely hate flying and airports.

brian eno - music for airports

also i like watching the mighty boosh and ab fab on my laptop
Old 08.18.2008, 11:47 PM   #10
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I hate flying too, and I found the last time I did it that my musical tastes were radically altered. I only wanted to be soothed, and even Autechre was too edgy. Mind, it didn't have to be straight ambient, dreamy pop stuff works fine too. But nothing with a schizoid beat or violent washes of noise. In other words, the stuff I often usually want to hear. Eno was usually perfect in all forms, and Elliott Smith worked good too. Some Sonic Youth was fine, but I would never try Confusion is Sex in a plane.

I know way more people get killed in car accidents than in airplanes, but I hate the feeling of loss of control that goes with being in a plane. If I die in a car, at least it's me that stepped on the gas.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2008, 02:07 AM   #11
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I somewhat like flying, I find it very relaxing.

I also enjoy looking out of the window at the clouds. When you're above the clouds, everything looks like a scorched sky.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2008, 02:48 AM   #12
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Ages ago my then-boyfriend mixed a tape for a friend about to go on a long ride beginning with the modest mouse song that starts off with an abrupt scream : "THIS PLANE IS DEFINATELY CRASHING !!!"
I've always found it funny .

Which leads to my very recent memory of playing mm's 'this is a long drive for someone with nothign to thing about' while on a long drive through some desert and it was actually quite perfect for that time . I dont listen to that band much , they were more prominent in my playlist way back when , but these situations coincide .
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2008, 02:49 AM   #13
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Yeah I love looking out the window. Like, Sydney from the air looks laughably insignificant.
Old 08.19.2008, 04:11 AM   #14
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I somewhat like flying, I find it very relaxing.

I also enjoy looking out of the window at the clouds. When you're above the clouds, everything looks like a scorched sky.

yes, everything seems fluffy and nice!
but if you fly at night with stormy rainy weather. then I hate it too
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2008, 05:32 AM   #15
al shabbray

nice one.
LPing white noise, as I said, gives you the flight feeling
especially when you look out of the window straight into the sky
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2008, 05:41 AM   #16
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't flown in ages, so I can't really say much. But I would have a long mix of jazz, and classical music.
Old 08.19.2008, 05:58 AM   #17
al shabbray

yes, excactly that picture is burned in my mind too. and I think thats the reason I love the overall experience of flying so much. but most of the time I flew at night which is lame
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.19.2008, 09:09 AM   #18
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli

ps. i have found the compilation i was talking about. if and when you want, ask me to link it.

i'd be interested in hearing that.

on planes i mostly like to listen to buddy holly. 'cause his songs are happy and upbeat and i know all the words. can be tricky not to get to thinking about how he met his maker though...
Old 08.20.2008, 02:50 AM   #19
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks nefeli, I'm intrigued.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth