Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page syracuse/ ny state fair show
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.02.2006, 01:19 AM   #1
3x1minus1
little trouble girl

3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses
YAY SY!

they opened with candle... even did skip tracer. mm, sonic youth. i love you. my biggest gripe is that the set was too short and stuff. (ween? what the hell? what happened there? oh well. we got to leave early, then..) they took the stage about 10 minutes after we finally found the actual grandstand and our seats. (ny state fair: wtf? another gripe in itself..)

here's some little clips...

jams run free:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMoswRuXvjQ

pink steam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vERNlX7_yg

not complete/sorry for the people in the way, blah blah.

3x1minus1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2006, 08:46 AM   #2
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x1minus1
YAY SY!

they opened with candle... even did skip tracer. mm, sonic youth. i love you. my biggest gripe is that the set was too short and stuff. (ween? what the hell? what happened there? oh well. we got to leave early, then..) they took the stage about 10 minutes after we finally found the actual grandstand and our seats. (ny state fair: wtf? another gripe in itself..)

here's some little clips...

jams run free:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMoswRuXvjQ

pink steam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vERNlX7_yg

not complete/sorry for the people in the way, blah blah.

yeah, we got there way too late, riding in from buffalo... i knew it was a good possibility that i'd miss a portion of SY since my gfriend had a class that afternoon and couldn't skip out (its grad school ya know...) anyways got to the Moheacan shitstand and heard the band in the middle of "100%" by the time we got to our seats they starting playing Jams run free and closed w/ Pink Steam, so i only got to see 3 fuckin' songs!!!

oh well... thurston made the comment to the audience that he got food poisoning the day before at the allentown state fair, from the little i saw of the band to me they did not look very lively at all and abit run down just standing there except kim's dancing during jams... anyways how was the rest of the set, waht else was played... damn i missed Candle.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2006, 08:50 AM   #3
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
Hell of a show. 3 of my favourite bands playing at such an odd location was great. I managed to be front row centre, and SY rocked. I was dissapointed that about half the audience wasn't standing up when SY were on, but oh well.

The setlist:

Candle
Reena
Incinerate

then out of order:

Teen Age Riot
Skip Tracer
100%
Rapture
What a Waste
Jams Run Free
Turquoise Boy
then they closed with Pink Steam

Highlights were Candle, Jams Run Free, Skip Tracer (probably my favourite Sonic Youth song), and Pink Steam (GREAT song live). Thurston made some jokes during the show (him introducing Kim as Lady Soverign, "a hot new rapper from Europe" and Mark as someone else, before Candle, was hilarious), and before Pink Steam Thurston said "This song is about getting food poisoning at the Allentown State Fair yesterday." I saw the setlist, and they had Expressway planned as the encore, but since Thurston was sick, they didn't play it. Oh well, the show was amazing regardless. Only downside was a guard told everyone in the first few rows to sit down during Rapture and Skip Tracer, since most of the audience wasn't standing until Ween.

I had met Flaming Lips' drummer, Kliph, before the show, and we talked a bit and he was really cool (and a huge Youth fan), and he was watching them at the side of the stage during their set. When Lee finished with his drumstick after Teenage, Kliph told a roadie to give it to me

I'm at a hotel comp right now, so when I get back home, I'll have some pics. Hope they turned out good!

I'm not sure wheather this show could compare to the crazy Toronto show because of the lack of energy from the crowd, but regardless, thank you Sonic Youth for putting on another fucking great show.
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2006, 09:14 AM   #4
travisvb
empty page

travisvb has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushmanski57@hotmail.com
Hell of a show. 3 of my favourite bands playing at such an odd location was great. I managed to be front row centre, and SY rocked. I was dissapointed that about half the audience wasn't standing up when SY were on, but oh well.

The setlist:

Candle
Reena
Incinerate

then out of order:

Teen Age Riot
Skip Tracer
100%
Rapture
What a Waste
Jams Run Free
Turquoise Boy
then they closed with Pink Steam

In order:
Candle
Reena
Incinerate
Teen Age Riot
Do You Believe in Rapture?
Skip Tracer
What a Waste
Turquoise Boy
100%
Jams Run Free
Pink Steam
travisvb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2006, 09:33 AM   #5
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

and before Pink Steam Thurston said "This song is about getting food poisoning at the Allentown State Fair yesterday." .

he should've stayed away from the elephant ears.
jennthebenn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2006, 09:38 AM   #6
squirrel_bait
empty page

squirrel_bait kicks all y'all's assessquirrel_bait kicks all y'all's assessquirrel_bait kicks all y'all's assessquirrel_bait kicks all y'all's assessquirrel_bait kicks all y'all's assessquirrel_bait kicks all y'all's assessquirrel_bait kicks all y'all's assessquirrel_bait kicks all y'all's assessquirrel_bait kicks all y'all's assessquirrel_bait kicks all y'all's assessquirrel_bait kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
he should've stayed away from the elephant ears.
Fo' real.
Their first mistake was even considering Fair Food. I, however, had some pierogies and came out smellin' like a rose. Well, more like a pierogie.
Damn, I was hoping for 100% at A-town. Oh well.
squirrel_bait is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2006, 12:23 PM   #7
3x1minus1
little trouble girl

3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses3x1minus1 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
him introducing Kim as Lady Soverign, "a hot new rapper from Europe" and Mark as someone else, before Candle, was hilarious

ohh yeah. mark was "jeremy piven." hahaha.

3x1minus1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2006, 12:47 PM   #8
GrumpyOldMan
empty page

GrumpyOldMan has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Great show. It was a little short, but ahh I'll be seeing them on Sunday in Boston. I got the setlist from the stage as well as one of Lee's picks.

The band was slated to play "Expressway" but I guess Thurston got food poisoning in Allentown and decided not to.

Ween was WAY too long; nearly put me to sleep. But the Flaming Lips were so much fun, they gave me the energy to drive the 2 and a half hours back to Albany.

I can't wait for Sunday.

GrumpyOldMan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2006, 01:04 PM   #9
Gainsbarre
little trouble girl

Gainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's asses
Well, Thurston couldn't have been that sick. My girlfriend and two of our friends got asked to dance on stage during the Flaming Lips set and saw Kim & Thurston dancing around while the Lips played and Thurston was eating a large gyro (which were quite good I must say).

During the first few songs during SY's set the sound was kinda fucked up. And through out the whole show they kept looking to the sound guy and pointing up as in "Turn up the fucking sound!" Thurston at one point said something like "a little more monitor action" and then "can you hear it?" to the sound guy. I thought they were still pretty rocking and I mean fucking Skip Tracer! Outrageous! Magic Numbers were pretty tight. I thought Ween went on a little long, Lips were great. I was expecting to feel "ho-hum" about them as I'm not the biggest fan of the newer record, but they were pretty great. My lady friend got me a personalized autograph from Wayne.

I also saw Tiny Tina the world's smallest woman and it kind of hurt my soul. I didn't feel too good about it afterward.

I hope they have good bands again next year but... doubt it...
Gainsbarre is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.02.2006, 01:18 PM   #10
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
This was an incredibe show im so happy i got a free ticket to it.They played alot of good stuff like candle, teenage riot, skip tracer (i was screaming when lee started playing the opening notes to that one.)Also i got to say for people who didnt like some songs on rather ripped they sound even better in the live context.Im gonna see SY again on Sunday in Boston and cant fucking wait.

Oh i also liked how thurston introduced the band as "the sonic youth" and gave lee,kim and ibold, different names.Like he called kim "lady soverign" an upcoming uk rapper" and then introduced himself as Mark Farner(grand funk railroad)

One of my friends was taping SY's set but when the girl in front of him got up security saw him and made him put it away.So He has everything up until skip tracer (which got cut off during the song!!!!!!!!!)
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2006, 07:46 AM   #11
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for reviews!
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2006, 10:39 AM   #12
Gainsbarre
little trouble girl

Gainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's assesGainsbarre kicks all y'all's asses
Oh yeah, when my friends were getting changed into the costumes for the Lips set, Thurston came back there and was viddy-ing everybody changing. What a perv eh?

(the last part's a joke...)
Old 09.03.2006, 10:57 AM   #13
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
a weird joke

welcome back, Gainsbarre.

Do ya still look like Manson & have more lps than God?
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2006, 12:27 PM   #14
Gainsbarre
little trouble girl

Thanks!

To answer yr questions, yes, I'm still the handsome Charles Manson and yes, I have more lps than God.
But you should see him dig thru those crates man!

(I was joking about T. being a perv, but he was back there taping...)
Old 09.05.2006, 12:35 PM   #15
Orta
empty page

Orta has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
YOU HAVE TO BE KIDING ME!

I was there with the llama show and I missed it...
Orta is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth