Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Anybody here have an advanced degree in Classics?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.27.2010, 09:10 PM   #1
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
My little bro is studying for his MA in Classics. He is in California with his family. I want to know the Ancient Greek for Know thyself. He is unavailable. Little help?

Also, what positions have you had since earning your Classics degree?
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2010, 05:46 AM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
γνῶθι σεαυτόν gnōthi, [pr: 'Oonuothi seauton gnothi', roughly]
or just γνῶθι σαυτόν (without 'gnothi', as in gnosis or knowledge) seems to be the contracted form.

I'm no classicist and I've never studied Greek. I do know a few people who have, and they tend to go into linguistic-analytical jobs - proof-readers and so on. Or, like many people, just float about being doing jobs which don't compliment their actual intelligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2010, 06:05 AM   #3
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I had the chance to study Greek, sort of, but stuck with Latin. For the full of it, actually, the Greek teacher came into our class and begged us to join his lest they cut it because of low enrollment. The catch, though, was that the Latin class wasn't exactly Communications and we had already gotten fairly underway.

I've read the greatest hits of the Corpus Aristotelicum and Plato's Dialogues, though. Nothing close to an advanced degree, of course.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I tend to fall in love with Classics students (recently, a raving man-hating feminist lesbian Classics student), and quickly get irritated because they tend to not be massive intellects but children stuck in children's stories.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.28.2010, 07:41 AM   #5
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
For the most part, the Classics students I knew were just nerdy Catholics, given the fact it's a Jesuit school. On the other side, I actually had to basically explain Platonic idealism to a classroom of third year philosophy majors. Thus, I was somewhat assumed to be a neoplatonist just because I knew Plato.

But I'm digressing. My Aristotle/Plato teacher was fantastic, though. He looked like Stephen Fry and had a fondness for wine. Brilliantly, he dismissed pretty much all modern philosophy as "Montaigne rubbish."
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2010, 07:51 AM   #6
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
^ Medea's got nothing on my jealousy.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2010, 08:06 AM   #7
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedbird
My little bro is studying for his MA in Classics. He is in California with his family. I want to know the Ancient Greek for Know thyself. He is unavailable. Little help?

Also, what positions have you had since earning your Classics degree?

McDonald's food service counter attendant.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2010, 08:18 AM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
But I'm digressing. My Aristotle/Plato teacher was fantastic, though. He looked like Stephen Fry and had a fondness for wine. Brilliantly, he dismissed pretty much all modern philosophy as "Montaigne rubbish."

I image he was great. Unfortunately, I've really come to the end of my tether with that attitude. I'm not in the philosophy department any more, but if I have to meet another belligerent, conservative analytic masking their inability to cope with 100 (+) years of philosophy behind syllogistic logic, I'm going to start buying arms for a genocide of pricks, Dawkins first.

Quote:
Old 02.28.2010, 08:31 PM   #9
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
γνῶθι σεαυτόν gnōthi, [pr: 'Oonuothi seauton gnothi', roughly]
or just γνῶθι σαυτόν (without 'gnothi', as in gnosis or knowledge) seems to be the contracted form.

I'm no classicist and I've never studied Greek. I do know a few people who have, and they tend to go into linguistic-analytical jobs - proof-readers and so on. Or, like many people, just float about being doing jobs which don't compliment their actual intelligence.

thanks. good response. i mean, you really saw what i was asking.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth