Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page any HEALTH fans?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.23.2008, 08:57 AM   #21
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris(original)
love no age! mika miko are extremely average. mae shi are average but their shows really make them respectable. but the health cd is imo the best cd over anything mika miko/mae shi put out. weirdo rippers is amazing and i probably luv that one just as much. i would say right now HEALTH is the band of the moment in LA. they're getting more & more popular. i'm not sure if HEALTH is the best LA has to offer but one of definitely at the moment.

a danceable liars? not sure if this person's getting HEALTH mixed up with another band. i'm trying to find a good comparison, but i really can't to be honest. i could always try and force a comparison and say a tribal cock esp/liars but even that would be inaccurate. i think HEALTH are HEALTH.

keep an eye on this band…they're gaining momentum! the HEALTH cd is amazing.

you have no idea what youre talking about. there is nothing original about health's sound, they sound like every other average noise rock band out there, too much like boredoms. and the mae shi is amazing, consistenly releasing amazing records.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2008, 09:00 AM   #22
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
a danceable liars? not sure if this person's getting HEALTH mixed up with another band. i'm trying to find a good comparison, but i really can't to be honest. i could always try and force a comparison and say a tribal cock esp/liars but even that would be inaccurate. i think HEALTH are HEALTH.

"Glitter Pills" is totally a dance track filtered through Drum's Not Dead.
I don't see how you could deny that.
dionysusundone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2008, 09:32 AM   #23
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Are they out on vinyl?
Old 04.23.2008, 10:51 AM   #24
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
Yeah, they're a bit Liars, but more danceable. And not in the dance punk kinda way, just in the so much percussion going on it's almost a techno thing way.
They get some cool sounds.

did u go to the show at drunken unicorn?

and gmku__yes, and its pink

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2008, 11:38 AM   #25
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
you have no idea what youre talking about. there is nothing original about health's sound, they sound like every other average noise rock band out there, too much like boredoms. and the mae shi is amazing, consistenly releasing amazing records.

i think you try too hard to be different or to try to find a comparison.

boredoms they are not. i would say they are closer to keiji haino than boredoms and even that's a stretch. i can't really dis mae shi since i am friends with one of them, but HEALTH is better at the moment. mae shi are far from consistent at the moment, considering only jeff is the original dude and have struggled with finding the right drummer. mae shi were hot shit about 2-3 years ago, but have lost their popularity and not much new material since, although they are recording at the moment.

i won't get in a battle of words with you, but it's obvious that i know much more than you could ever wish to know about the los angeles music scene.

just cuz you are late on HEALTH doesn't mean you have to hate. there's always room for new fans.

mika miko…um sure. they can barely play their instruments. again, great live band, not really very good musically. very sweet & nice girls. can't dis them since i know them.

NO AGE are incredible, probably the hottest band at the moment from LA, much better than the wives.
khchris(original) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2008, 11:41 AM   #26
khchris(original)
100%

khchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asseskhchris(original) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
"Glitter Pills" is totally a dance track filtered through Drum's Not Dead.
I don't see how you could deny that.

that's the only electronic song on the album. don't base your entire opinion off of a song you heard on their myspace page. try TRICERATOPS, HEAVEN, or PERFECT SKIN.

do have the liars influence though with their singing.
Old 04.23.2008, 12:11 PM   #27
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, HEALTH's very LIARS-like all the way around. They've got some Black Dice-sounding electronic stuff though. But as I mentioned on the 2nd of 3 HEALTH threads, all their songs sound quite different still... I mean, I think they're original enough, you know? I don't think there's anything down that route worth debating -- they sound different ENOUGH, it's not a blatant ripoff of anything. My problem is, they're just kinda boring. They're not the best songwriters in the world (then again, neither are LIARS). Just an average band all the way around, nothing too different or amazing or worth getting excited about. But not bad.

The Mae Shi are really great though. Really forward-thinking and exciting. They get annoying, but they're definitely original and fun to listen to. Never heard Mika Miko.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2008, 01:07 PM   #28
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
in fairness, i like health and i love liars but the comparisons are there......
Old 04.23.2008, 07:11 PM   #29
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I've had their album for months now, so I mean it's not like I'm basing stuff off what I hear on myspace. I think the entire thing's pretty danceable in it's own way, regardless of whether or not you agree. All the percussion is very groove oriented.
Old 04.23.2008, 07:12 PM   #30
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
did u go to the show at drunken unicorn?

and gmku__yes, and its pink

Man I tried to but I was low on funds that week.
A bud of mine opened and set up the show too, so I was doubly bummed.
Old 04.23.2008, 07:17 PM   #31
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i can't stomach the boredoms comparisons.

that's like saying that franz ferdinand are as good as the fall.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2008, 09:33 PM   #32
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Exactly.

That's why I didn't bother saying Boredoms.

No one touches them...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2008, 09:56 PM   #33
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
i am in no way saying that they are as good as boredoms... just that they were definitely influenced by them, and it is obvious in their arrangements and sound... of course, many bands were influenced by boredoms, but i think health really draws from them moreso than others...

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2008, 03:06 AM   #34
khchris(original)
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
i am in no way saying that they are as good as boredoms... just that they were definitely influenced by them, and it is obvious in their arrangements and sound... of course, many bands were influenced by boredoms, but i think health really draws from them moreso than others...

you say "definitely"…which album would you say influenced them on which songs? (keyword: definitely)

i don't see any boredoms influence. is it the fact that they have some tribal drums??? crash worship were using tribal drums since the 80s, but i'm not about to say HEALTH were "definitely influenced by crash worship". i would say crash worship is closer musically to HEALTH than the boredoms. sorry, but i think we're all in agreement…boredoms is not a "definite" or even remotely obvious influence.
Old 04.26.2008, 04:03 PM   #35
naughtymoose
empty page

naughtymoose has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
HEALTH is good in my book but No Age is definitely where it's at when it comes to buzz and quality/interesting material, at least in my opinion. They were the breakout stars of 2007 and building on it, it seems.
Mika Miko are SO much fun live and their music is pretty fun too if not exactly great. It sounds even better after seeing them live, though.
The Smell made me love living in LA. I used to hate it here but the scene is pretty electric and contagious right now. Actually, I think it's been moving towards a cool down for awhile though, who knows?, but I feel a strong sense of loyalty to and gratitude for the Smell.
Also, I'm not sure if you guys have heard of them yet but Foot Village is excellent as well -http://www.myspace.com/footvillage.
They just released a new album and are about to go on tour. I highly recommend you check em out live.
I also LOVE Abe Vigoda, who pal around with Mika Miko and No Age and are like the the third part of the holy trinity of Smell-based bands if there ever was one - http://www.myspace.com/abevigoda.
Their older stuff had a more no wave sound to it but they've gotten more tropical and pop-y lately. You can hear their past album, where they still have some of that no wave stuff, here - http://www.last.fm/music/Abe+Vigoda/Kid+City
naughtymoose is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2008, 04:20 PM   #36
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i think you try too hard to be different or to try to find a comparison.

boredoms they are not. i would say they are closer to keiji haino than boredoms and even that's a stretch. i can't really dis mae shi since i am friends with one of them, but HEALTH is better at the moment. mae shi are far from consistent at the moment, considering only jeff is the original dude and have struggled with finding the right drummer. mae shi were hot shit about 2-3 years ago, but have lost their popularity and not much new material since, although they are recording at the moment.

i won't get in a battle of words with you, but it's obvious that i know much more than you could ever wish to know about the los angeles music scene.

just cuz you are late on HEALTH doesn't mean you have to hate. there's always room for new fans.

mika miko…um sure. they can barely play their instruments. again, great live band, not really very good musically. very sweet & nice girls. can't dis them since i know them.

NO AGE are incredible, probably the hottest band at the moment from LA, much better than the wives.

i dont think shit about you, other than the fact that the bands you most often menion are bands that are the most hyped at the moment. and you obviously havnt heard much keiji if you think health sounds anything like him. and why the fuck should i care if you know more about the los angeles music scene? im not from la, and i really could give a fuck less about "scenes", and would never educate myself on a specific scene, i just like tunes. the fact that you are claiming superiority over a knowledge of a fairly new, and potentially short lived scene wreaks of pretentiousness. so fuck off. if you think i try to sound different maybe its because i listen to different music than you. dickhead.

on that note, i dont think health are a bad band. i never said that. they are just not anything special. and im pretty sure there are plenty of people who would agree with me. the mae shi has had a few great records already, these other bands dont have more than 1 or 2 at the most, so time will only tell.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.26.2008, 04:21 PM   #37
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, HEALTH's very LIARS-like all the way around. They've got some Black Dice-sounding electronic stuff though. But as I mentioned on the 2nd of 3 HEALTH threads, all their songs sound quite different still... I mean, I think they're original enough, you know? I don't think there's anything down that route worth debating -- they sound different ENOUGH, it's not a blatant ripoff of anything. My problem is, they're just kinda boring. They're not the best songwriters in the world (then again, neither are LIARS). Just an average band all the way around, nothing too different or amazing or worth getting excited about. But not bad.

The Mae Shi are really great though. Really forward-thinking and exciting. They get annoying, but they're definitely original and fun to listen to. Never heard Mika Miko.

glad someone agrees with me, and as usual, its you, about the mae shi anyways. i think liars change their sound too much to be compared too, but health sounds like "they were wrong" era liars.

listen to pink reason
Old 04.26.2008, 06:17 PM   #38
khchris(original)
100%

Quote:
glad someone agrees with me, and as usual, its you, about the mae shi anyways. i think liars change their sound too much to be compared too, but health sounds like "they were wrong" era liars.

um…you meant "drums not dead". you're welcome!
Old 04.26.2008, 06:21 PM   #39
khchris(original)
100%

Quote:
i dont think shit about you, other than the fact that the bands you most often menion are bands that are the most hyped at the moment. and you obviously havnt heard much keiji if you think health sounds anything like him. and why the fuck should i care if you know more about the los angeles music scene? im not from la, and i really could give a fuck less about "scenes", and would never educate myself on a specific scene, i just like tunes. the fact that you are claiming superiority over a knowledge of a fairly new, and potentially short lived scene wreaks of pretentiousness. so fuck off. if you think i try to sound different maybe its because i listen to different music than you. dickhead.

on that note, i dont think health are a bad band. i never said that. they are just not anything special. and im pretty sure there are plenty of people who would agree with me. the mae shi has had a few great records already, these other bands dont have more than 1 or 2 at the most, so time will only tell.

sounds like a bitter 14 year old kid who feels left out of "a scene". weren't you the person who claimed i didn't know what i was talking about? it's not my fault you have a big mouth. i didn't claim anything, don't need to. you listen to tunes, but you don't understand the tunes you listen to. the reason why you try to "be different" is because you think it's cool to be different. problem is, you're the only person trying too hard to be "different".

maybe you are just extremely average and unhappy about that?
Old 04.26.2008, 06:33 PM   #40
khchris(original)
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtymoose
HEALTH is good in my book but No Age is definitely where it's at when it comes to buzz and quality/interesting material, at least in my opinion. They were the breakout stars of 2007 and building on it, it seems.
Mika Miko are SO much fun live and their music is pretty fun too if not exactly great. It sounds even better after seeing them live, though.
The Smell made me love living in LA. I used to hate it here but the scene is pretty electric and contagious right now. Actually, I think it's been moving towards a cool down for awhile though, who knows?, but I feel a strong sense of loyalty to and gratitude for the Smell.
Also, I'm not sure if you guys have heard of them yet but Foot Village is excellent as well -http://www.myspace.com/footvillage.
They just released a new album and are about to go on tour. I highly recommend you check em out live.
I also LOVE Abe Vigoda, who pal around with Mika Miko and No Age and are like the the third part of the holy trinity of Smell-based bands if there ever was one - http://www.myspace.com/abevigoda.
Their older stuff had a more no wave sound to it but they've gotten more tropical and pop-y lately. You can hear their past album, where they still have some of that no wave stuff, here - http://www.last.fm/music/Abe+Vigoda/Kid+City

NO AGE is the hot band of LA right now, but HEALTH are right behind. MIKA MIKO's magic is on stage…other than that their music's not anything to brag about (they are sweet girls though with lots of energy). ABE VIGODA are getting really popular. i really like them too.

LACO$TE are incredible too!

let's not forget UPSILON ACRUX & BAD DUDES and TOTALLY SERIOUS (ex-upsilon acrux).

I too feel fortunate to be witnessing the LA scene…it's pretty happening, great energy & a real youth spirit that's been desperately needed!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth