Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Swans
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.21.2010, 06:13 PM   #81
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Where would I get a fake ID? I really want to go to this show.

Well, do you own a printer?

In my experience.. maybe this is different elsewhere... but I went to plenty of 18+ clubs in my teenage years, and wasn't carded. If it's a particularly large venue, and there is a huge crowd, they don't really have the time to card everyone. On the other hand, if it's a place that also serves alcohol (around here -- again, laws are different everywhere), they have to card you to see if you're 21, or they're fucked. So, I dunno, maybe just go and if they try to card you, say you didn't think to bring an ID, and they'll probably send you off. But I have a good feeling you'd get in.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2010, 06:17 PM   #82
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I went to a similiar sized venue to see Earth and Richard Bishop and was turned away... £13 down the drain. So I'm kind of being wary here considering this show is £20 and they are less likely to let me in if I have to buy on the door.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.22.2010, 04:27 AM   #83
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
I'm thinking about going to the Supersonic Festival, but I guess I'll wait and see how the line-up will develop. Of the confirmed artists this far, I've only heard Swans, James Blackshaw and Melt Banana, and that means that the GY!BE ATP line-up is a lot more interesting at the moment... but there I won't get to see Swans. Hmmm...
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 06:18 PM   #84
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
new song:
http://pitchfork.com/news/39600-new-swans-eden-prison/#

incredible.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2010, 06:50 PM   #85
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Definitely awesome.
Old 08.16.2010, 02:03 PM   #86
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
And now the album has leaked. I love it. It has a certain Angels of Light feel to it at times, but it's just as heavy and dark as you'd expect from Swans at this point. Almost every song is fantastic, too bad the album is so short. Anyway, could be album of the year for me at this point. So good.
Old 08.16.2010, 02:33 PM   #87
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
That new song is fantastic !!!

I am an absolute novice in the world of Swans, having heard only White Light from the Mouth of Infinity. What should I check out next? Recommendations please.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2010, 03:21 PM   #88
DanielCarlson
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
That new song is fantastic !!!

I am an absolute novice in the world of Swans, having heard only White Light from the Mouth of Infinity. What should I check out next? Recommendations please.

Depends on what kind of music you want.

Early Swans (say, Filth from '83 to Holy Money from '86) is incredibly slow, heavy, "sludgey" and brutal music. It's great, especially Filth, but usually nothing I would recommend anyone to start with.

Children of God is my favorite. It's still very heavy at times, but also has a softer, at times almost beautiful side. Fantastic in every way and a pretty good place to start.

Then you have their folk albums; The Burning World, White Light and Love of Life. White Light is the only one of them that is amazing, the other two are the weakest albums in their career.

Then you have The Great Annihilator which probably is their most accessible album. It's fantastic and has a bit of everything; slow and dark murder ballads, noise, more conventional "alt rock" and so on.

And finally you have Soundtracks For The Blind, which is simply mindblowing. Lots and lots of fantastic instrumental and ambient passages, noise, tape recordings and so on. While most Swans albums are very dark because of their lyrics, this is more about the sound of things and how they draw you in into it's twisted world. Don't expect any easy listening, but it's fantastic.
Old 08.16.2010, 03:43 PM   #89
Derek
invito al cielo

Children of God!
Old 08.17.2010, 08:27 AM   #90
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Disagree about "The Burning World" being their weakest, it's easily one of my favorites. I think "The Great Annihilator" is easily their weakest, although it is probably the easiest one to get into for a newbie.

Not sure what to make of this new one yet. Some of the songs feel oddly put together...like they'll be super heavy for parts and then when the vocals come in Gira's still doing folk songs, just folk songs surrounded by heavy parts. It's a bit disorienting.
Old 08.17.2010, 10:35 AM   #91
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I went to a similiar sized venue to see Earth and Richard Bishop and was turned away... £13 down the drain. So I'm kind of being wary here considering this show is £20 and they are less likely to let me in if I have to buy on the door.

sometimes worth calling in advance and asking - worked a few times for me when i was younger. and if they say no then you know you have to get a fake id from someewhere.

you can scan your passport and photshop it to change the date, then p[rint it out (in colour). say you brought a photocopy cause you didnt want to lose the real one. that usually works... and if you don't get in you can always sell yuour ticket to someone outside so you don't lose out on the $$$
Old 08.17.2010, 10:36 AM   #92
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
oh also i think no jarboe in the new line up. i saw her play at inferno this year with attila czishar (sorree can't spell that). freaking weird and awesome. she was wearing some awesome fish scale dress too!
Old 08.17.2010, 11:22 AM   #93
Derek
invito al cielo

Yeah I emailed and they said Swans was definitely 18+. I'm not too concerned now though, I'll be 18 soon enough.
Old 08.17.2010, 11:40 AM   #94
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
I am so lucky holland hasn't got age limits that much.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2010, 01:35 PM   #95
lucyrulesok
100%

Quote:
Yeah I emailed and they said Swans was definitely 18+. I'm not too concerned now though, I'll be 18 soon enough.

i remember those days though. fucking annoying. they seem to be even stricter now than they were 5/6 years ago. bastards.
Old 09.04.2010, 10:07 AM   #96
Derek
invito al cielo

PSF: Would you ever consider reforming Swans?
MG: Absolutely not, never. Dead and gone. I have more interesting things to do.
Old 09.21.2010, 07:53 AM   #97
EvdWee
100%

EvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard suckaEvdWee cold hard sucka
the new album is streaming here: http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/luiste...rpaal.43958254
EvdWee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 08:23 AM   #98
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
PSF: Would you ever consider reforming Swans?
MG: Absolutely not, never. Dead and gone. I have more interesting things to do.

Really, Morrissey and Captain Beefheart are the only musicians who come to mind who said they'd never get back together with their old bands, and actually, y'know, haven't (which has nothing to do with band member deaths or, hell, even other band members not wanting to). Throbbing Gristle, Pixies, Polvo, Slint, Swervedriver, now Swans.... all reformed (well, I think Slint's done for again).. nuts. Hell, even Big Black and Man or Astroman played that show a few years ago.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 09:03 AM   #99
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Even the rubbish, not really ever popular, and generally best forgotten post-rock band Ui reformed this year.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2010, 09:16 AM   #100
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
I might do a reunion show with my ex band too.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth