Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Swans
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.14.2009, 09:25 PM   #61
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Re: Gira and Jarboe

I read an interview done in the last 5 years where she spoke quite fondly about Gira; talking about how he shaped her as a musician.

Even if they're not best buds, at least she respects him as an artist. Hopefully he feels the same way and they get their shit together and make some more real music!
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 09:43 PM   #62
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
About Mission of Burma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

i listened to both their reunion albums when they came out and though they were boring as hell.

they could still pack a punch live, i don't know, but on record, yach!!

See, I felt the same way about OnOffOn, but The Obliterati was something different. I felt like with the first one they were just trying to come to terms with playing together again and being who they used to be and shit, and it sounded like a digital version of the old days. The Obliterati smokes though, really shredding new songs with production that doesn't feel all big and alternative in all the wrong ways the way 90% of albums by bands who get back together do these days. Mind Burma never did on record what they do live and they'd be the first to say so. I saw The Obliterati tour and it was totally on. Roger looked overjoyed to be playing in the group again, massive plexi-glass wall in front of the drums to protect his ears and all!
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 09:53 PM   #63
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe I'm in the minority but I thought OnOffOn kicked major ass, sure, it might not be their best but still a great record, but then again I eat everything up Burma does with a spoon, no, TWO spoons, on some days three.

EDIT: And The Obliterati is just a downright fantastic album.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2009, 02:36 AM   #64
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I haven't kept up with Jarboe/Gira drama for a while so assumed they had patched things up if Gira was talking about a reunion. Well, we know this much, there will be new songs so it won't be a Pixies-type thing.
I can't remember offhand, other than Micheal was anyone even in the band for the entire duration of it's existance?
Old 06.15.2009, 03:11 AM   #65
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
You tell me that Smashing Pumpkins weren't all that good to begin with (an opinion that many would share with you) and then go on about hipster credibility? If you knew me you wouldn't be making these accusations as I really could care less about popular opinion OR underground/hipster opinion... I like what sounds good to my ears.

Having said that, a band can ruin their good name for me and/or the public in general. Just check out all the articles and blogs about how Billy Corgan has done nothing but embarrass himself these last 10 years (especially with this recent Pumpkins fiasco). This doesn't destroy the band's early output, but it certainly can create a stigma around a band's name. I for one think Adore is an outright masterpiece and have continued to enjoy Corgan's stuff including his gorgeous solo record right thru to the Zwan album. This recent Pumpkins mess is too much, even for me, however. It will make it hard for me to take anything that he/the band puts out in the future seriously.
And how are you not talking about credibility alone in that second paragraph? Even reunions aside, no band has an immaculate discography and even if one did have a discography that you enjoy in totality it doesn't preclude them from writing material that you wouldn't like in the future. I'm sorry, but fretting over the credibility of a band's entire career seems beside the point to me. The freedom I assume you appreciate in bands to experiment and grow also includes the right to do things which you wouldn't like, such as reuniting with half of the band and playing less sophisticated (?) music. If a band decides to reunite and tour, they're still turning on perhaps thousands of people on to their music despite your distaste of their new stuff. However, you simply can't choose to ignore the stuff because you feel it is some blemish on a reverse ownership you have over the pedestaled idea of a band.

Personally, I think bands that I like reuniting is awesome despite whether I like how they sound now or what new material they produce.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2009, 03:16 AM   #66
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
the pixies reunion was horrible because those guys didn't bother to rehearse, let alone gather enough enthusiasm to give a shit about playing. mostly it sucks because it's bands that can't play as hard and passionate as they could when they were younger. or they just don't care as much anymore.
And yet their live material, though as lazily played as you claim, still melted some kid's face off who immediately bought all their earlier albums and is having the time of his life listening to Surfer Rosa over and over again.

Reuniting doesn't ruin a band's good name unless you allow it to.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.17.2009, 03:31 PM   #67
trojan
empty page

trojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's assestrojan kicks all y'all's asses
I've heard a lot about this band, I should check it out....
trojan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 12:13 AM   #68
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
I found this on a hentai site of all places:

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 08:19 AM   #69
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Children of God is fantastic. The Great Annihilator is fantastic. Soundtracks For The Blind is fantastic. I can't really say which one I think is the best. I haven't listened that much to their earlier stuff, but most of it is great as well. Swans were awesome and I'd love a reunion.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 08:34 AM   #70
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
holy fuck i'm going to shit my pants!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2009, 07:47 PM   #71
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
holy fuck i'm going to shit my pants!

Because of Gira's penis?

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2010, 08:13 AM   #72
washer
bad moon rising

washer cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard sucka
COMING SOON, NEW SWANS ALBUM AND TOUR(S)

The song “Jim” recently added to the playlist is an acoustic demo (solo at home)
recording by michael gira. this, and many other new songs recorded in the same way comprise many of the new (rough versions) of songs under consideration,
to be fleshed out on the coming new swans album. a cd of these acoustic versions, as well as a live (2 shows) dvd of m.gira will be for sale very soon as a hand made (by gira) package called I Am Not Insane (CD/DVD). this package – in a limited edition of 1000 - will be sold in order to raise money for the swans recordings/offset the huge costs involved... check back here or at http://younggodrecords.com for ordering details and more information...coming soon...coming soon...

principal players on the swans album are (and there will be many special guests):

Michael Gira / gtr / voice / mendicant friar act (original swans)

Norman Westberg – Guitar (original swans)

Christophj Hahn – Guitar (mid period swans and most angels)

Phil Puleo – Drums, percussion, dulcimer etc etc (final swans tour and most angels)

Chris Pravdica – Bass and gadgets (flux information sciences / services/ gunga din)

Thor Harris, Drums, percussion, vibes, dulcimer, curios, etc etc... (angels, now also with shearwater)

Angels Of Light is temporarily on hold while gira pursues his “new” project...

(taken from Swans' myspace)
washer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2010, 09:33 AM   #73
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
It's awesome news. Awesome news.
Old 01.10.2010, 10:18 AM   #74
washer
bad moon rising

washer cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard sucka
What about Jarboe? Maybe she's focused on her solo carrer at the moment, and will only appear as a "special guest"?
washer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2010, 10:34 AM   #75
DanielCarlson
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by washer
What about Jarboe? Maybe she's focused on her solo carrer at the moment, and will only appear as a "special guest"?

Or not at all. I don't know how they get along these days. It's too bad, for me she was an important part of Swans.
Old 05.21.2010, 05:33 PM   #76
Semperet
little trouble girl

Semperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard suckaSemperet cold hard sucka
Mojo have posted dates for the upcoming tour:

SWANS play:

Cork, Cyprus Avenue (October 21)
Dublin, Button Factory (22)
Birmingham, Supersonic Festival (24)
Glasgow, Arches (25)
Brighton, Concorde 2 (27)
London, Koko Theatre (28)
Leeds, Uni Stylus (29)
Manchester Academy (30)
Semperet is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2010, 05:55 PM   #77
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
The Glasgow date is 18+ I think, that's so lame. James Blackshaw is supporting!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2010, 05:56 PM   #78
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
wow.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2010, 06:04 PM   #79
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Where would I get a fake ID? I really want to go to this show.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.21.2010, 06:10 PM   #80
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
18+ is such a waste of everyone's life. I found out the place where I saw everyone that came through Bristol (when I was 13-18) is 18+ now. Wankers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth