Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Big Bang Day
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.09.2008, 09:50 AM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
from -FUPPETS-

some of the questions that the LHC is seeking to answer. (my additions are in parentheses)

Is the popular Higgs mechanism for generating elementary particle masses in the Standard Model realised in nature? If so, how many Higgs bosons are there, and what are their masses? (if the Higgs Boson turns out not to exist then the basic theories about how quantum particles gain mass will have to be overhauled. If found, then it would allow confirmation as well as experimentation down the line. Either way it is kick ass.)

Will the more precise measurements of the masses of the quarks continue to be mutually consistent within the Standard Model?
(Every time we humans develop better instruments with which to analyze and measure the Universe we get closer and closer to the underlying structure of our Universe.)

Do particles have supersymmetric ("SUSY") partners?

(In particle physics, supersymmetry (often abbreviated SUSY) is a symmetry that relates elementary particles of one spin to another particle that differs by half a unit of spin and are known as superpartners. In other words, in a supersymmetric theory, for every type of boson (particles associated with "forces") there exists a corresponding type of fermion (particles associated with mass), and vice-versa. Supersymmetry appears to be a fundamental aspect of nature, but we have no real experimental evidence for it.)

Why are there apparent violations of the symmetry between matter and antimatter? See also CP-violation.
(CP is the designation given to the ratio that allows a particle to become it's own anti-particle. Particles and anti-particles are identical, except for their "quantum spin," which is opposite. CP violation happens in weak radioactive decay.)

Are there extra dimensions indicated by theoretical gravitons, as predicted by various models inspired by string theory, and can we "see" them?

(This is a very interesting question. If the LHC allows us to "see" these gravitons, theoretical particles that purportedly carry the gravitational charge, then our theories of relativity and quantum mechanics will have to be re-worked into one unified theory. Amazing stuff. If extra dimensions are shown, then it would give much more weight to the Superstring theorists with their predictions of multiple new dimensions, each one teeny tiny and curled in on itself.)

What is the nature of dark matter and dark energy?

(This one is a biggie! Over the past few decades we have come to understand that nearly all the matter we see in the Universe, all observable matter and energy, only makes up about 10% of the actual matter and energy that should be in our Universe for it to look and behave the way it does on a large macro-cosmic scale. If we can find evidence of dark matter or dark energy with the LHC it would be a whole new world of inquiry opened up to Earth scientists.)

Why is gravity so many orders of magnitude weaker than the other three fundamental forces?
(Gravity is the weakest natural force there is. It is so much weaker than anything else as to almost be negligible. For example, the electromagnetic force is very strong. you can use static cling to hold a paper clip up off of your desk, using a tiny amount of electromagnetic energy to negate the gravitational pull of the entire fucking Earth upon that paper clip. Insane huh? Some people propose in M Theory that gravity spreads throughout all Universes in the multi-verse, the multiple near infinite universes proposed by string theorists. If this is the case, and we can find out why gravity is so unexpectedly weak, then we could verify the "Multi-verse Theory!" Amazing!)
Old 09.09.2008, 10:27 AM   #22
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
fuck off rob with your "SCIENCE"!!
Old 09.09.2008, 10:37 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
so you would prefer if I talked about the Large Hadron Collider in sports terms? How about music terms? Or maybe you like pseudo-science gobbledygook?

Old 09.09.2008, 10:42 AM   #24
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
piss off with it all
Old 09.09.2008, 10:48 AM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

enjoy yr ignorance!
Old 09.09.2008, 09:58 PM   #26
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the idea that, because we can never truly know everything, knowing what we know does not matter, is SUICIDAL and STUPID and WRONG.
For the record, this is what I stated: So (based on the factual aspect of what I stated previously in the thread)...Should we not try? No, of course we should try. As we learn more and more, science will be advanced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
for centuries humans thought we would never understand what light was, and we now know probably 99% of what we can find out about light. For centuries humans thought that our solar system was the whole of existance, then we thought our galaxy was the whole of existance, but no, someone KEPT ASKING QUESTIONS, and we discovered that there are millions upon millions of galaxies just like ours, and millions extremely different from ours, and that only made us want to know more.

science, it's what's for dinner.
You're mixing apples and oranges there. The advances of the last few centuries are fairly insignificant compared to the revolutionary aspects of Relativity which profoundly enhanced our intrinsic understanding of the universe.

And to echo my previous point for those that refuse to acknowledge the truth in what I write I'll once again repeat myself:
...But just as actual hard physics hasn't advanced all that much in the last almost century since Einstein's first breakthough (despite the vast amount of resources and brainpower devoted to the quest since), don't expect any ridiculously huge leaps.

It hasn't advanced all that much, Rob. Basically, what we have here is a group of remarkably intelligent astrophysicists that have been entirely unsuccessful for generations in expanding on the magnificent data that Einstein gave us all. They get massive grants to do all their work and still very little results from it. And when I write "very little" I mean very little in the way of actually expanding on Einstein to provide hard science on the subatomic microverse. Instead, they dwell in the realm of the highly dubious and come up with papers and theories that even their fellow scientists cannot possibly begin to disprove, because they are largely conjecture and gibberish, albeit highly intelligent gibberish. While being extraordinarily intelligent on the one hand they are also akin to a group of salesmen on the other. They are forever being told to come up with something concrete every time the money is handed out and so, like a salesman, they lament that they need new leads and a new product in order to perform at a higher level and provide the answers that the money is being doled out for...and so on and so forth the process gets repeated.
The astrophysicists are right, however, in the sense that what they do need to advance in a real way is more data. And the only way to get that data is to build a SUPER DUPER supercollider to get the particles accelerating to just a tiny bit closer to the speed of light. They are hoping that this will do the trick, you see. And they are right in the respect that it will inch us closer, but we still have loooooong way to go with what amounts to baby steps.

And one more time, for extra emphasis so as not to be spun into diametrically opposite bullshit by one Rob Instigator:
So (based on the factual aspect of what I stated previously in the thread)...Should we not try? No, of course we should try. As we learn more and more, science will be advanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
people made the same criticisms of the hubble space telescope when it was first created and funded, and those IDIOTS were wrong.

Of course the Hubble is a great advance. To get the lens outside of the atmosphere cannot be anything but a huge plus. Perhaps these IDIOTS you're referring to are part of the same crowd that are all jazzed over a gorilla suit or whatever thinking that it may just be the corpse of a Bigfoot creature. ZING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
enjoy yr ignorance!
You certainly seem to get off on your ignorance. You've niched out a sort of hyper-optimistic Star Trek-is-the-future geeky fantasy that you hold fast to as some sort of proof that you are above reproach and absolutely correct.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 10:11 PM   #27
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
Why do people insist on fucking with things?

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 10:12 PM   #28
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
For the same reason little kids drink the stuff under the sink...

They're dumb and they don't know any better.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.09.2008, 10:17 PM   #29
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
I don't consider that a good enough reason.

Old 09.09.2008, 10:19 PM   #30
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
I wish I could come up with a better one.
Old 09.09.2008, 10:20 PM   #31
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAh

To figure out how life came about...to figure out how we came to be here and why we are here.
Sounds okay, right?
Read on...
The baseline reason is that elitists want to understand how to live as long as possible and cheat death for as long as possible, to master the universe itself, as it were. And there's your answer.
Old 09.09.2008, 10:25 PM   #32
EMMAh
invito al cielo

And that's the lamest thing ever.

Old 09.09.2008, 10:27 PM   #33
acdc518
bad moon rising

acdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's assesacdc518 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
so you would prefer if I talked about the Large Hadron Collider in sports terms? How about music terms? Or maybe you like pseudo-science gobbledygook?

please explain it in music term. But only using references to music released in 1973
acdc518 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2008, 01:17 AM   #34
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
I cant wait to get covered in spiders like in Stephen King's The Mist.
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2008, 01:18 AM   #35
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

If we do die from this thing, it'll be the best way to die ever. It would beat cancer and heart attacks anyday.
Old 09.10.2008, 02:05 AM   #36
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAh

I think science is obliged to fuck with things, that's how progress is made.

Besides, if something nasty happens in forthcoming months, there won't be anyone left to whine over the consequences. why people care?
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.10.2008, 02:11 AM   #37
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
The world ends in 2012 so we still have some time left. Thanks Nostradamus.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2009, 10:14 AM   #38
atari 2600
invito al cielo

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/sc...3lhc.html?_r=2
Old 10.16.2009, 02:51 AM   #39
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Oh, I thought the world was going to end when Y2K happened. After 2012, what will be the next apocalypse date?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2009, 03:45 PM   #40
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Rob, I would just like to comment that you seem rather confident that science has a lot of answers, which it can, but technically does not. There are NO answers, life is a trick question. Theories change and evolve over time.. our current understanding is as limited as previous generations understanding, as our advancements are only as advanced to us as the advancements of the people before us.

So our science sounds great to us today, fine, but what about when something new changes all that? The current explanations ALWAYS sound convincing in the present tense..

The reason I-man live MYSTICALLY, is because a mystic life claims to have no understanding at all, and realized quite honestly that man in his extremely limited perception could never possibly know SHIT! besides, that fits well into the uncertainty principle..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth