Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Musicians who you know and are complete outsiders
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.11.2007, 07:34 AM   #1
sarramkrop

I mean musicians who are just happy to play to people and never released a record but are great to watch and listen. For the love of Jesus whipped on a cross, I can't remember what his and her names are, but I love listening to this old guy and young girl playing the violin and and the accordion respectively. Both of them literally go for it like their lives depend on those music instruments and are bloody good at that! Do you know any street/ non-street musicians who you think would merit this sort of attention? I'll find out what their names are, because the older German dude was apparently the first busker to be granted legal permission to play down the tube. Celebrity cases in the field would have to be people like Moondog, but then he went on to record and put out records, therefore he doesn't really count.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2007, 08:19 AM   #2
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
There used to be an old guy, used to 'busk' in one of the underpasses near Marble Arch tube station.
I use apostrophes deliberately because his 'busking' consisted of letting out a really loud screech, stamping his foot once, and blowing randomly through a harmonica. Then he would stand there with his filthy hand outstretched asking people for money. The whole performance took about 5 seconds, but he would repeat it over and over and over again.

I used to watch him, spellbound, for 20-30 minutes and then give him all the change I had in my pocket. Genius.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2007, 08:20 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I knew a guy who made the most brilliant music ever, like a MORE wacked-out captain beefheart, I have a few of his CD's he went to a studio to record and he just kinda gives to people who ask him.. but he has 1) quit the internet and 2) will never "officially" release a record. So, I dunno if that toally fits your criteria, but yeah.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2007, 08:22 AM   #4
sarramkrop

Well, yeah, someone who hasn't released a record officially is still an outsider musician, so it totally fits the criteria.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2007, 08:23 AM   #5
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Paul Metzger was the one I knew, but then I convinced him that there would be an audience for his stuff, and apparently I was right.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2007, 08:41 AM   #6
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
There used to be an old guy, used to 'busk' in one of the underpasses near Marble Arch tube station.
I use apostrophes deliberately because his 'busking' consisted of letting out a really loud screech, stamping his foot once, and blowing randomly through a harmonica. Then he would stand there with his filthy hand outstretched asking people for money. The whole performance took about 5 seconds, but he would repeat it over and over and over again.

I used to watch him, spellbound, for 20-30 minutes and then give him all the change I had in my pocket. Genius.

That sounds pretty cool.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2007, 08:51 AM   #7
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
does he qualify?

screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2007, 08:55 AM   #8
sarramkrop

No.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth