Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Spice Girls
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.20.2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Okay this is a thread is dedicated to my LOVE for the Spice Girls.

Perhaps my love is based more on nostagia than anything else but the more I listen the more I think there is something magical going on beneath the glossy, commericial surface.

And I know this will no doubt be criticised, as many people think there has been far to much 'Ironic Discussion of Cheesy Music'....But fuck you all because these guys Spice Up My Life!
Old 08.20.2007, 01:27 PM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to agree with you, I just never thought they were that good. Great(ish) idea, but never had the records to back it up.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
take it for the fluffy cotton candy that it is, and try not to ever tell anyone else you love them.
Old 08.20.2007, 01:51 PM   #4
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Yo I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really
really really wanna zigazig ha.
If you want my future forget my past,
If you wanna get with me better make it fast,
Now don't go wasting my precious time,
Get your act together we could be just fine.
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends,
Make it last forever friendship never ends,
If you wanna be my lover, you have got to give,
Taking is too easy, but that's the way it is.
What do you think about that now you know how I feel,
Say you can handle my love are you for real,
I won't be hasty, I'll give you a try,
If you really bug me then I'll say goodbye.
Yo I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So here's a story from A to Z, you wanna get with me
you gotta listen carefully,
We got Em in the place who likes it in your face,
We got G like MC who likes it on an
Easy V doesn't come for free, she's a real lady,
and as for me, ha you'll see,
Slam your body down and wind it all around,
Slam your body down and wind it all around.
If you wanna be my lover, you gotta, you gotta, you gotta,
you gotta, you gotta, slam, slam, slam, slam,
Slam your body down zigazig ah.
If you wanna be my lover.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2007, 01:56 PM   #5
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
People Of The World

Spice Up You Life
Old 08.20.2007, 02:11 PM   #6
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
I remain amused/not overly fussed at the Spice Girls "Phenomenon" in the late 90's, but the "Spiceworld" movie remains a classic piece of doggy poo.
Old 08.20.2007, 02:12 PM   #7
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
I remain amused/not overly fussed at the Spice Girls "Phenomenon" in the late 90's, but the "Spiceworld" movie remains a classic piece of doggy poo.

That made me laugh for its horrendous acting, and all that crap. Funny indeed.
Old 08.20.2007, 02:16 PM   #8
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
If only Gary Glitter had ended up starring in "Spiceworld"..."Baby Spice, you'll always be my little girl".
Old 08.20.2007, 02:20 PM   #9
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

Quote:
If only Gary Glitter had ended up starring in "Spiceworld"..."Baby Spice, you'll always be my little girl".

Isn't he the idol of all the members of NAMBLA?
Old 08.20.2007, 02:53 PM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

This is true, although the S Club movie was oodles better.

I can't agree with Mr Machine in liking the Spice Girls, but I have to have the utmost admiration for his appreciating things shamelessly.

Hopefully T&B hasn't cought MRSA and can interject at this point with the sort of fresh wit he's become reknowned for by about no people in some obscure corner of the insignificanternet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2007, 03:51 PM   #11
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

contrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a HUGE fan of the Spice Girls.
It's weird but it's weird when you think that you've been living through a moment like 1996, when Spice Girls, BSB, Hanson and all that stuff appeared. Girls going crazy, magazines with their faces in everywhere, dolls, cd's, posters, t-shirts. They all were fucking phenomenons.
At that time I didn't know shit about music. They were the first musical band I decided was my favourite(my mom used to listen to Elton John, Caetano Veloso, while my father listened to Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Jimi Hendrix and The Beatles.)
Now, 10, 11 years later I listen to them and seriously find awesome arrangements in their songs (of course, they didn't do them. So those arrangements didn't directly come out of them.) because since I took guitar lessons and started recording music myself I saw and understood music in a completely different way.
One thing people really need to admit is that they weren't like the other phenomenons at the moment. There were like 4 or 5 bands like the Backstreet Boys. They all had a latin kind of guy (or black guy), the rebel one, the classy one, the blonde stupid one. Their songs were all the same.
I didn't know what commercial products were back then, but now I see it and I don't see Spice Girls as one of them in such an obvious way. I mean, they were. But they weren't so fucking obvious.
OK. Somebody told me about this thread and I had to say something ahsjdhsaj

I'm seeing them January 24th! HSJAHSJA
10 years later than I thought. But that tends to happen in Argentina...
Old 08.20.2007, 04:28 PM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
spice girls suck ass.

they were a barbie band for 10 year old girls.

ignore them for the rest of yr lives please.
Old 08.20.2007, 05:15 PM   #13
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
spice girls suck ass.

Goes for them and all the girl bands people on here think it's ok to pretend to like. It's getting tired now.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2007, 06:14 PM   #14
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

contrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
spice girls suck ass.

well, i was 7, 8 years old when they happened.
how old were you?
20?
it's obvious you weren't going to like them, asshole.
if they happened now, i'd hate them.
Old 08.20.2007, 06:26 PM   #15
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I can't agree with Mr Machine in liking the Spice Girls

looks like i'm finally making you see sense mr glice, first step the spice girls, next step Westlife and Il Divo.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2007, 06:39 PM   #16
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i liked two becomes one or whatever.

the rest sorry, no, can't stand them. even i have my limits, same for that one member who left before they were forgotten and actually had singles and videos, awful stuff. plus, they were butt ugly.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2007, 07:18 PM   #17
ThePits
stalker

ThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's assesThePits kicks all y'all's asses
They are the perfect example of manufactured pop and mass marketing in the music industry.
The person/people behind the idea were pure genii
ThePits is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2007, 08:20 PM   #18
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
This is true, although the S Club movie was oodles better.

I can't agree with Mr Machine in liking the Spice Girls, but I have to have the utmost admiration for his appreciating things shamelessly.

Hopefully T&B hasn't cought MRSA and can interject at this point with the sort of fresh wit he's become reknowned for by about no people in some obscure corner of the insignificanternet.

haha thanks man

I love Glice's lack of indie snobbery and general bollocks. Good music is good music.

Anyone who was about 9 - 13 at the time can perhaps understand my love. I mean Viva Forever is just one of the most incredable singles ever for me. Great memories, great melodies.
Old 08.20.2007, 09:01 PM   #19
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
haha thanks man

I love Glice's lack of indie snobbery and general bollocks. Good music is good music.

Anyone who was about 9 - 13 at the time can perhaps understand my love. I mean Viva Forever is just one of the most incredable singles ever for me. Great memories, great melodies.

I understand you because I was 7, 8 years old by the time.
These people don't understand that because they lived it in another moment of their lives. I can't understand why some of them think Nirvana was fucking amazing because I was 2 years old when Nevermind came out, so I can't tell how great they were at that moment.
What did you expect 7,8,9,10 years old girls to listen to?
It's like High School Musical and Hannah Montana. I fucking hate them because I'm 18, but I'm sure I'd like them if I was 7.
Old 08.20.2007, 09:12 PM   #20
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrelefuckingsexisme
I understand you because I was 7, 8 years old by the time.
These people don't understand that because they lived it in another moment of their lives. I can't understand why some of them think Nirvana was fucking amazing because I was 2 years old when Nevermind came out, so I can't tell how great they were at that moment.
What did you expect 7,8,9,10 years old girls to listen to?
It's like High School Musical and Hannah Montana. I fucking hate them because I'm 18, but I'm sure I'd like them if I was 7.

I was in my 30s, and rather liked the singles. I was making a living playing '80s hits (Madonna, Prince, MJ) in Olympia WA with the occasional slightly more indie/underground track thrown in (Pixies, SY/Ciconne Youth, Buzzcocks, Damned, etc.) and the Spice Girls were the current band I had to play. The first time I was drinking in King Solomon's Reef and I saw a chick play them on the juke box and all the girls in the bar started doing these dance moves, I knew I'd have to get that and play it to death. I'm pretty sure they were older than 7 or 8, or they had some pretty good fake IDs... Sure enough, it paid the rent, and kept my bed warm. What more can anyone expect from pop music?
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth