Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page I was watching 91 Year Punk Broke yesterday...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.01.2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
and it fucking ruled as always. It had been about 8 years since I had watched the whole thing (I own the VHS)

watching Nirvana made me remember how fucking great it was that, after having heard Bleach from a collector frien dof mine, nevermind came out and I bought it and love dit. I was telling my girlfriend how great it was that it took like 7-8 full months before Nevermind caught on in the mainstream, which was awesome because rarely does one get the chance to hold onto a personal fave that you know is so good that people will fucking LOVE IT if they only ahve a chance to hear it.

most of those records get swept up by the mainstream masses and then it is on it's own strange trip, but with nevermind, I got to share it with people and it wa just so amazing while it lasted, while it was "mine" you know?

has this happend to anyone else with albums? or with Nevermind?
Old 05.01.2008, 03:38 PM   #2
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
man, that sounds like a good thing to be part of.

i learnt about nirvana when i was like 9 or ten, when i heard "come as you are"; i thought it was wicked song but nothing out of the ordinary.

there was a period in my teens when i was obsessed with side b of nevermind, having bought a pirate copy of "live, tonight, soldout" and realizing those songs ruled, to this day, i think "drain you" is perfect. but it got boring after awhile, just like side a.

it never really had a massive impact on me like on so many other people.

anyway, that phenomenon rob describes, i had that happened but it has always been for the worst. usually dumb kids discover a good band, morons begin running the show and bands start going after the bonehead crowd.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 03:50 PM   #3
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
9/10/91 "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is released as the lead-off single from Nevermind. The video goes into non-stop rotation on MTV.

10/05/91 Nirvana plays the 40 Watt Club in Athens with Das Damien opening.
Admission is $3.00.
  • The band was drunk and out of tune, but the show was apparently incredible, according to attendees.
  • During "Endless, Nameless," Kurt vaulted up to the movie projection screen and ripped it out of the ceiling, inciting the crowd to get onstage with the band and trash everything. Meanwhile, Dave kicked his drums over, then piled them up in no particular order and played them with microphones. After the noise and destruction, the band piled their instruments onto the drums, wished the crowd a good night, and left the stage, according to an attendee.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
three dollars!!!!!!!!
Old 05.01.2008, 04:00 PM   #5
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I remember buying Deerhoof's Reveille when that came out. They were somewhat popular in indie circles at the time though the band still had day jobs, but then they got a lot of press for the album, then Milk Man, tour with Radiohead, The Runners Four. It was kind of cool.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 04:01 PM   #6
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Cupid-From-Hell

Hole had played a couple of weeks earlier. Courtney had met Kurt before, but they had not become involved.

That night at the 40 Watt, Courtney met Poppy Z. Brite who later penned Courtney Love: The Real Story.
According to Brite's research, it was on that night that Courtney told Barrie Buck, club co-owner and ex-wife of Pete, that she was interested in Cobain.

When Nirvana played the club soon afterwards, Barrie relayed the message to Kurt and he and Courtney soon got together.
Old 05.01.2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

everythingsexy happens in athens GA

in Houston all that seems to happen is that lead singers get extremely pure cocaine (like 70% pure) and then overdose on the way to new orleans because they are not used to the high potency of our H-Town drugs! (blind melon)

also, we are the best place outside of cali for high grade hydroponic ganja!
Old 05.01.2008, 04:17 PM   #8
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Athens was overrun with very pure coke like around the mid-'90s. Many sources claim it was flown in by the head district attorney.
This was the period when Athens' music scene and downtown really was coming into its own and starting to boom. There had been The B-52s and R.E.M. beforehand, of course, but there wasn't a lot to do in Athens previous to 1989 or thereabouts. The traffickers saw a growing market and set up shop.
Old 05.01.2008, 04:37 PM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

The success of Nirvana has often been notated as the beginning of an era, as the onset of alternative crossing over into the mainstream, and, of course, this is correct. But in a much larger sense, time has proved the opposite for many. In my mind, and, I suppose, in the minds of other discerning music lovers whose tastes never embraced the mainstream in the first place, Nirvana's appearance was the harbinger of the end of an era, not the beginning. Must be why Thurston, when referring to the title in the movie, refers to it with a satirical sneer citing a contemporary "candyass" performance of "Anarchy in the U.K" by Mötley Crüe. He knew the handwriting was on the wall.

Then, years later, the emerging internet hailed the possibility of a comeback of sorts for the music industry. As we know, Chuck D was excited enough about the hype to appear on Nightline with Ted Koppel. Oh well, I like him, Chuck anyway.

Funny though how everything turns to shit eventually, even rock 'n' roll. In the music industry it seems to happen more often than not as soon as profiteers realize that there are major bucks to be made.
Look to Woodstock as another example. The ideals of that whole generation changed shortly thereafter.
Old 05.01.2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Nirvana was the peak of independent and aggressive bands that flowered in the early 80's post-punk, and they hit at the right time. people were ready for it. they were sick of the glam metal, the hair metal, the stupid fucking dhipshits like extreme and poison and asshole europop bullshit.
they wanted something raw, something real.

the problme was that for nirvana, and for Kurt especially, having a large section of their fan basde be the very same numbskull idiots that uised to beat them all up and shit was too much. the morons that did not care about anything other than "being" at the place to be, rocking with the band of the moment.

these things come with fame, but I can see how it must have been hard,.
Old 05.01.2008, 09:53 PM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
atari, where is that "nirvana timeline" thing you pasted from? I'd like to read that.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 10:02 PM   #12
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
a lotta the fort thunder bands that people all know about today but didnt 8 years ago, forcefield, landed, etc..

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2008, 10:25 PM   #13
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
atari, where is that "nirvana timeline" thing you pasted from? I'd like to read that.

http://www.nirvanaguide.com/1991.php
(I don't have many Nirvana bootlegs. I mean, I could, but that stuff will be going around for a long while I think. I can always get it later. It'd be fun though have the one for the 10/05/91 show, even though it's incomplete and just an average audience recording. It took place soon after the club moved to its present location. (There's been lots of locations).

They played the next night at The Masquerade in Atlanta. I think those were at least six dollars. I wasn't at that show, but I attended other shows with prices from six to ten during the early nineties at that venue. And it went up from there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smells_Like_Teen_Spirit

----

The first show at the Washington St. 40 Watt was the Dinosaur, Jr./My Bloody Valentine and I remember some of the local bar folk being put-off that the show was five (maybe it was six) dollars, and maybe that's one reason why the Nirvana was so cheap. (rates soon started going up all over town eventually). Anyway, some friends and I, including yeah um hm won't say, sneaked into this loud (other thread). It was still packed. We did it by creating our own stamp using markers and paper. There was a stencil part and there was a "stamp" part. (I kept the paper for a long time but it became, well, lost). It was all my girlfriend at the time's idea. On the benches outside, I made the template for the makeshift stamp and stencil by making a scale drawing of it hand-modeled by a friend of a friend who had already gone in before the show and come back outside for a minute. It was good enough to fool the door guy.

I have another story about that same door dude and another incident, but it's a bit more risque...
Old 05.01.2008, 10:54 PM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
That's amazing, atari. Haha.. this is a good read, by the way...

During the end-of-show destruction, Kurt and Krist repeatedly smashed their guitars together, with the final impact shattering Krist's bass and sending chunks of wood into the crowd. A fan in the front of the audience was hit in the face by one of these chunks, knocking out a tooth and causing him to bleed profusely and later go into shock and convulse uncontrollably.

Old 05.01.2008, 11:04 PM   #16
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i think i know who you're talking about but i won't say either.

Yeah, you're right I bet. Good memory there as I've mentioned this shameful poor folk episode before. ...thanks for not giving me an "oh this again"...
Old 05.01.2008, 11:08 PM   #17
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
That's amazing, atari. Haha.. this is a good read, by the way...

During the end-of-show destruction, Kurt and Krist repeatedly smashed their guitars together, with the final impact shattering Krist's bass and sending chunks of wood into the crowd. A fan in the front of the audience was hit in the face by one of these chunks, knocking out a tooth and causing him to bleed profusely and later go into shock and convulse uncontrollably.

Some of those Nirvana ones have some interesting haha commentary. The Nirvana show was crazy, but there's been some The Jesus Lizard shows that got nuts. (Just Yow and the audience though). And there was that one Crash Worship show.

Okay, memory lane again...
Old 05.01.2008, 11:18 PM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, I'd like to read old Jesus Lizard show reviews if there are any.

This show from 93 sounds awesome:

Joined by the Boredoms, the Meat Puppets, and Cali DeWitt, the band jammed on "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at the end of the show, featuring horns and the Boredoms' Yamatsuka Eye on vocals.

Old 05.02.2008, 01:03 PM   #19
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
it's FUCKIN LIVE MAAN! ! !

awesome.
mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2008, 01:21 PM   #20
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_pl
it's FUCKIN LIVE MAAN! ! !

awesome.

Actually , it's not live , it's playback , therefore this video sucks.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth