Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page New Wave of Lo-Fi Girls
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.12.2009, 12:45 AM   #81
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
us girls was really good. she just got her new 7 inches last night, so i bought one.

anyone get the new zola jesus? my paypal account is restricted because someone tried to break in to it, so i can't buy yet.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 03:21 AM   #82
sarramkrop

Is the Zola Jesus album out yet?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 04:51 AM   #83
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, its up on volcanic tongue
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 07:53 AM   #84
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
the ep on troubleman is out, as is a new cd on sacred bones
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 07:42 PM   #85
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
yay for girls! i was just listening to inca ore's "birthday of bless you" ad its amqazingly wierd and surreal and endearign and beautiful electronic drones. her and us girls are two of my favorite artistrs right now, any genre, theyve totally mastered this super minimal eloectronic, moaning into a loop type thing. ive never heard such simple music sound so strange. i guess thats the great thing about all these bads.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 07:46 PM   #86
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
there is an inca ore/axotol split on the horizon!
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 09:51 PM   #87
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
not into karl bauer's stuff at all, he always just struck me as a totally bland artist with awesome friends (matthew bower, neil cambell, dylan nyoukis, etc...), i like his prettier stuff best though.

speaking of pretty, how about christina carter? she pretty much influenced all these lo fi girls with the spooky lo fi folk noise thing, and her album "original darkness" that i just heard is folk just the way i like; trippy, etheral, atmospheric, minimal, and incrediby fucking beautiful. she has become a great guitar player and has such a beatuiful voice. the last track, "do you recognize my voice" has that amazing slow high pitched but muted synth progression going on to start off the song and then it fades ito the background as an incredibly simple but effective guitar pattern kicks in, and then chrsitina with her lush as hell make you cry voice. there are only a few singers in the world who can make my jaw drop while singing in a normal melodic style; curtis mayfield, van morrison, stevie wonder, etc... carter ranks among there for me. id even rank this amoing my favorite charalambides records.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2009, 10:08 PM   #88
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, of course, Christina Carter is amazing. The acapella album "A blossom fell" is my favorite. Though as far as solo stuff, I much prefer tom carter's various solo releases and collabs. But that's for another thread.

Batreleaser, I really think you'd like the fangsandarrows.com forum. Lots of stuff there that you constantly discuss, including downloads to all kinds of OOP stuff.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2009, 02:40 PM   #89
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
speaking of pretty, how about christina carter? she pretty much influenced all these lo fi girls with the spooky lo fi folk noise thing, .

Really?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2009, 02:41 PM   #90
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
us girls was really good. she just got her new 7 inches last night, so i bought one.

anyone get the new zola jesus? my paypal account is restricted because someone tried to break in to it, so i can't buy yet.
Man, I spent awhile talking with her before the show, not knowing who she was haha. She's such a nice person though, and is really a great performer as well.
vulva is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2009, 05:53 PM   #91
sarramkrop

I was just listening to the Grouper/Pumice split 7''. The track by Grouper, 'Rising Height' is blinding. I like how the voice is mixed even lower than the music, it gives it quite the ghostly effect.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2009, 03:38 PM   #92
sarramkrop

Zola Jesus
The Spoils
Formats: LP, CD
Catalog #: SBR-022
MySpace: myspace.com/zolajesus
Side A:
Six Feet (From My Baby)
Crowns
Sinfonia and the Shrew
Sink the Dynasty
Devil Take You
Side B:
Lullaby in Tongues
Smirenye
Clay Bodies
In Hiding From the Crow
Tell it to the Willow

CD Tracklist:
Six Feet (From My Baby)
Crowns
Sinfonia and the Shrew
Sink the Dynasty
Devil Take You
Lullaby in Tongues
Smirenye
Clay Bodies
In Hiding From the Crow
Tell it to the Willow
Soeur Sewer
Odessa
Poor Sons
The Way
Dog
Sacred Bones is proud to present The Spoils from Zola Jesus. Hailing from the unsuspecting locale of Madison, WI, Zola Jesus—the alter ego of Nika Roza Danilova—occupy a sphere of sparse industrial rhythms, no-fi drones, and ethereal femme vocals. Those who have seen her handful of live shows, heard her WFMU set, or caught any of the acclaimed, sought after, and now mostly out of print releases on Die Stasi or Troubleman Unlimited already know. For those uninitiated The Spoils may be the most fully realized representation of her sound. Zola Jesus have two previous releases on Sared Bones, the Souer Sewer single and a limited CD of a live performance from WNYU. The CD contains the entire “Soeur Sewer” 7" as well as the three songs from the Die Stasi single.

The limited edition comes with screen printed outer sleeve, alternate cover art, insert and link for mp3 download.

http://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/releases/sbr022/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2009, 03:41 PM   #93
Zombie Robot
expwy. to yr skull

Zombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's assesZombie Robot kicks all y'all's asses
^ thx for the info im lookn forward to checkn out more.
Old 07.15.2009, 04:44 PM   #94
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i saw finally punk play the other day, they were totally totally amazing.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2009, 07:18 PM   #95
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
these gals are from my area (sf) and i just think they are the bee's knees.
its 3 chicks, they all sing with all these harmony things going on but the music is still pretty chaotic. ck. em!

http://www.myspace.com/grasswidowmusic
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2009, 09:13 PM   #96
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the heads-up, pork.

Will def pick up The Spoils CD release (considering it contains both of the earlier singles with their b-sides).
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2009, 04:05 PM   #97
sarramkrop

circuit des yeux
sirenum
070 Lp

Lafayette, Indiana native Haley Fohr possesses a gift—either that or she’s wholly possessed by a spirit derived from extra-terrestrial origin. Then again the music/cacophony she makes as Circuit des Yeux is borne from the most natural, organic and downright homely elements one could use in the exigency of lo-fi, bedroom-conceived art, namely the earth’s percussive qualities and her god-given, god-forsaken voice. Perhaps it’s this static crawl between polar opposites that has made her so polarizing in the first place. Many who heard Symphone, her debut LP, could barely choke it down. The fidelity was such an extreme obscurant that any semblance of songcraft or ingenuity was masked by a histrionic shitstorm (that’s shorthand for tape hiss). Likewise, there were many who considered the album quite stark and stunning, a masterpiece of outsider avant-operatics and twisted femme-folk. It’s definitely built for late-night isolated listening sessions, fueled with depressants and black candle wax, best heard in dark wilderness or obsidian caverns or a place where the environment can only add to the primordial fractures and fissures that reveal the purest of emotions. I’m still unsure where I stand. It’s not a record you throw on for kicks. For secrets and intimate confessionals, yes, but I’m not about to give up the details of “der alptraum.”

Sirenum, her second full-length for De Stijl, arrives at a perfect time then. While not a summer record by any stretch (more suited for nuclear winter) now’s the moment when Fohr can stake her own identity, if she hasn’t already. To say nothing of maturity or growing up, here the mythos of Circuit des Yeux have been solidified into a phantasmagoria that splits the spectrum between Zola Jesus’ classically trained horror-psych and Scout Niblett’s unlearned, hyper-grounded, mope-core. More often than not, though, Fohr’s range on Sirenum scatters outside those parameters, meeting extremes face-to-face, giving way to softer hues found on the blissful but wicked folk of “Serenade to Sophia” or the unnerving dissonance found in the tribal, floor tom–led “Calling Song.” Going out of her discomfort zone, the songs explore an uncharted terrain displaying a stylistic leap. Be it the deep blues/dead eyes on stand-out “Paranoid,” the backmasked hysteria in “Shedevil,” or the wisps of acoustic finger-picking on “Swallowing Hearts,” the record becomes a healing seance, as opposed to the self-mutilating, almost novice purge of Symphone.

While Fohr’ somnambulist songwriting has been enhanced, even more embellished is her sonic touch, giving flesh to the skeletons through multiple layers of monochromatic spooks and recorded accidents. The textures that hide in the background give the sense of crackling campfires, plagues of locusts, zombie invasions, occupants of inter-planetary craft, and ghost hands having tantrums over antique piano keys, all of which further widen the scope emanating from the miserable yet beautiful core of her music. And that central murmur is rooted in her voice, something that blossoms best on the recently released “Fruition” 7-inch for Dull Knife. The title track begins with a sea of sirens (coincidentally Sirenum is a region of Mars known as the sea of sirens), her spectral howls and celestial half-life arias rise to a hypnotic swirl of mysterious tones. If there’s a message, I wouldn’t know. If there’s an incantation at work, all the better. Soon, though, it leads to the first time Fohr’s actually sounded upbeat. The second half of the track finds a hole in the rough-hewn fabric weaved so far and through it spills broken-beats and (gasp!) a catchy refrain. Anyone looking to experience both sides of Circuit des Yeux without having to get wrapped in the pall of Sirenum should steer towards this two-song distillation of her temperament. While “Fruition... PoP Marvellous” might be her first jukebox worthy A-side, the B-side here puts her back in line with the haunted loner vibe to which she’s accustomed, though it’s a fairly magnetic pull into the queue. She sounds confident in her identity on “Indian Orphan,” it wouldn’t be off to place her among the guys like Kevin Failure (of Pink Reason), who sweat these sickly sour laments. On par, both records are limited and essential, as is the Circuit des Yeux live show and the bludgeoning force of Cro-Magnon, the band she shares with Bird. Even as that group becomes more rockist in form, it’s hard to imagine Fohr ever abandoning the infinitely eerie pit she’s established alone.

~Kevin J Elliot
agitreader.com
http://www.destijlrecs.com/sirenum.html
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2009, 04:41 PM   #98
MaxBeta
empty page

MaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's assesMaxBeta kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
these gals are from my area (sf) and i just think they are the bee's knees.
its 3 chicks, they all sing with all these harmony things going on but the music is still pretty chaotic. ck. em!

http://www.myspace.com/grasswidowmusic

good stuff right there. can't say i listen to much that would pertain to this thread besides the vivian girls. us girls though have been on my list for awhile.
MaxBeta is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.20.2009, 04:53 PM   #99
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
i really like them all
i esp like vivian girls
Old 07.20.2009, 04:54 PM   #100
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
i like viv girls.

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth