Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Magnolia
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2006, 03:13 PM   #1
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Just finished watching it. It was great. But I still have to say...What was going on? I was confused about what it was exactly that was trying to be put across. The frogs was exodus (the words were right there on a building). But how does that fit in? Were all the stories about something different? Or did they all have one theme to it all? Regret, forgivness? something...

Anyone want to explain?

I still really enjoyed the movie.
Old 03.25.2006, 03:14 PM   #2
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
that movie is 1337
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 04:51 PM   #3
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I love that movie......I interpreted the frog thing as just describing how absurd life is.

"This is just something that happens.".....I think that's what the kid says.
Old 03.25.2006, 04:54 PM   #4
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I really liked "Magnolia", much more then say "Boogie Nights". However I always thought that each indvidual viewer of a film puts thier own interpertation into it. There is no right or wrong way to interprete that film. Certainly the themes you pointed out like regret, forgivness, could certainly apply, but saying specifically its about this or that, would still be projecting my own viewpoint of the film, which would be very objective. I think for me its about people who strive to make connections with others, be it family members or strangers. Keep in mind, its been some time since I've seen the film, perhaps I need to refresh myself on it.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 06:43 PM   #5
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I love that movie......I interpreted the frog thing as just describing how absurd life is.

"This is just something that happens.".....I think that's what the kid says.
I think it had something to do with Exodus. When the police officer was turning his car around to do whatever to Quiz Kid Donnie Smith you see the word exodus on a building, and then the first 2 frogs hit. But as Life Distortion said, it is all open to interpretation.
Old 03.25.2006, 09:31 PM   #6
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
I can remember very little about that movie other than it introduced me to aimee mann, might have to give it a watch again
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 01:11 AM   #7
Flen flyys
little trouble girl

Flen flyys has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I can't explain it, but I love that movie a lot. All the performances are great, from a great cast, and all the Aimee Mann songs are cool. It dissapoints me when people say it's boring, too long, etc. because I find it fascinating. I love all those long ensemble movies where the stories cross each other.
Old 03.26.2006, 02:53 AM   #8
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
I personally liked Boogie Nights better. I thought Magnolia was trying far too hard to be 'artsy.' I was disappointed with Anderson with this one.

To be honest, movies of the ilk of Magnolia, Vanilla Sky, Royal Tenebaums, etc. just irritate me. They force-feed you what they think your impression of the movie ought to be.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 07:16 AM   #9
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I think it had something to do with Exodus. When the police officer was turning his car around to do whatever to Quiz Kid Donnie Smith you see the word exodus on a building, and then the first 2 frogs hit. But as Life Distortion said, it is all open to interpretation.

You rught there. At one bit it has a verse for the bible and tells you what to read it says "Let my people go or I will bring down a plague of frogs" that's basically the whole film interpretated. They all want to go and do something but they don't get to do it hence the plague of frogs. Might watch it today...

One of the best films ever made, Tom Crusie amazing, I hate him as a person but he does some good films and is a bloody good actor.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 07:31 AM   #10
Jesus
empty page

Jesus has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Exodus
Chapter 7 Verse 27

"If you refuse to let them go, I warn you, I will send a plague of frogs over all your territory"
Jesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 11:34 AM   #11
defcon4
little trouble girl

defcon4 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I love the movie. I love the long Jason Robards monologue, the weird romance with the cop and the cokehead, the quiz show. I think the key to the movie is the rap the black kid does for the cop at the beginning, but I've never been able to figure out what it means. Anybody?
defcon4 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 11:42 AM   #12
elder18
empty page

elder18 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I just think that movie plain sucks.
The concept sounds cool, but three fucking hours?
Give me a break.
elder18 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 11:42 AM   #13
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i wasnt that impressed by magnolia at all. its just seemed to be on the back of a bunch of films that seemed a bit the same. philip hoffman is always good but i found this film didnt really hit the mark for me.

i watched last days last night, that was a massive dissapointment.
jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2006, 12:17 PM   #14
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon4
I love the movie. I love the long Jason Robards monologue, the weird romance with the cop and the cokehead, the quiz show. I think the key to the movie is the rap the black kid does for the cop at the beginning, but I've never been able to figure out what it means. Anybody?

Yeah...no clue what that is about...

Also the quiz show had a great title: "What do kids know?". It was perfect, like saying kids don't know anything, but then there you go with the black kid doing that rap, and everthing. I think the title was perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elder18
I just think that movie plain sucks.
The concept sounds cool, but three fucking hours?
Give me a break.
You could always pause it.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth