Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.08.2016, 10:51 AM   #19161
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
thought Spotlight was really good, but 7.5/10 for me, it was a necessary movie, but seemed to me to be really pretty non artistic in just about every respect. A great average film?

I just saw Michael Moore's new one, I'd recco it, esp for USA residents who don't know much about the rest of the world. Italian segment was pretty enlightening and entertaining, as was the Slovenian part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly4_QiXv8es

"Is this the great big penis competition?"
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2016, 11:18 AM   #19162
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Haven't seen SPOTLIGHT yet, but it seems like it has a ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN sort of feel. No?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2016, 03:23 PM   #19163
Dr.Mambo
empty page

Dr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's assesDr.Mambo kicks all y'all's asses
Excision. Great movie.
Dr.Mambo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.12.2016, 04:20 PM   #19164
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Saw Black Caesar at Anthology last night,
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2016, 01:00 PM   #19165
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Finally watched Ant-Man.

Could have been better.

This is what we've got lined up for tonight:

I remember hearing a ton of positively gushing reviews of this film back when it was on the festival circuit. It's about a cult leader (Vincent Cassel) with a ton of wives and hundreds of children, which he raises and trains as assassins.

Heard it's utterly disturbing and totally fucked up, but those are the film's and roles Cassel does best. Looking forward to it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2016, 08:28 AM   #19166
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Just went through a run of SHIT movies....

I had high hopes for Crimson Peak because I like Del Toro, but goddamn.... this was a beautifully filmed movie but the story could have been cut by like 40%...Gothic horror is not my thang. The ghosts looked cool, but I have never found ghosts scary, since they are incorporeal and cannot actually touch you or hurt you..... boring.

wow this was boring. I turned it off about 45 minutes in because I COULD GIVE A FUCK. I love comics, and I thought the first Avengers movie was great fun, but jesus fuck this thing sucked from the get. Does it get better? I will watch the rest of it eventually but it was a fucking letdown.

I watched this last night. I am a big fan of Danny McBride and especially Sam Rockwell, but fuck if this was not the slowest wanna-be satire around. McBride is hilarious in his scenes, but the rest of the movie unfolds as the glacial pace of a typical indie flick. fucking dull as fuck.
Old 03.14.2016, 03:02 PM   #19167
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

This was funny and thoughtful, and I was very very glad it was not a musical.
Old 03.15.2016, 08:43 PM   #19168
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

I remember hearing a ton of positively gushing reviews of this film back when it was on the festival circuit. It's about a cult leader (Vincent Cassel) with a ton of wives and hundreds of children, which he raises and trains as assassins.

Heard it's utterly disturbing and totally fucked up, but those are the film's and roles Cassel does best. Looking forward to it.

This was ok, but nothing close to what I was expecting. It's not especially sinister or frightening. In fact it's probably the most lovable role Cassel has ever played. I was hoping to see some insane villainous shit here... But it was surprisingly mild and very subtle. More of a think piece. Which I would have been more into if I knew that's what I was going to get. I was pumped to see a demented ass film, and this was strangely melancholy. Is Cassel a villain? Yeah, I guess. But he's more tragic and sad than terrifying. And it had one of those open endings that really wasn't open. You know what happens, but for some reason the director pulled a "you tell me!" At the last second. Not a great move.
Good enough film, but meh.
Old 03.15.2016, 08:47 PM   #19169
Severian
invito al cielo

I forgot to mention: that scene in Ant-Man where they're fighting in the falling briefcase and the iPhone starts to play "Plainsong" by the Cure? That wa awesome. It was supposed to be funny, I guess, because they didn't let it play for long, but had the song truly been accompanying thay sequence, it would have been fucking AWESOME.

At it was, it just was a nice 20 seconds of an otherwise so-so movie that made me want to listen to Disintegration. If I had been able to pick, at that moment, between letting the song play through without the movie, or having the movie play through and cut the song off, I would have gladly listened to "Plainsong" while staring at a blank screen.
Old 03.16.2016, 08:52 AM   #19170
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

it was much better than age of ultron though.......
Old 03.16.2016, 10:00 AM   #19171
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

This came on randomly.. i didn't know anything about it. I liked it

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.16.2016, 11:37 AM   #19172
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it was much better than age of ultron though.......

Yeah, what the hell was that about anyway? What a shitfest. Why throw the Maximoffs in there if you're not going to have a link to X-Men? There are now two different Quicksilvers in two different franchises from the same comic book company! Well, I guess one of them might be toast, but still. Stupid.

And the Hulk and Black Widow getting romantic? What? Why!? What?! Fuck it.

The first one was fun as hell, though I didn't care for the childish bickering (save that for Civil War). It was like a big bright loud comic book happening in front of you. The second one was just ick.

I wonder if Cap's going to die in Civil War, leading to an Avengers 3 and 4 that feature Falcon in the Cap costume. That would be weird. And dumb. I don't like Falcon.

But yeah, Ant-Man was way better than Ultron.
Old 03.17.2016, 08:40 AM   #19173
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Saw this last night. Liked it a lot. Quite the freakout film, a la classic Tarantino in my eyes. (I hated HATED Django Unchained soooo much)
harsh!
Old 03.17.2016, 09:28 AM   #19174
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
^ My 60-something year old mother has watched this about 5 times, and she usually can't tolerate violence. I'm waiting til it comes to the dollar theater for the big screen experience. Looking forward to it a lot.

Fun fact: An antique Martin guitar was smashed to bits during the filming of this when there was some miscommunication on set. I understand Kurt Russel thought it was the fake one, but ended up destroying an irreplaceable artifact. Needless to say, Martin Co. has announced it will no longer be lending out guitars for films. How far down the ladder do you think it went before some poor bastard had to be the one to make the call to Martin Co.?
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2016, 09:33 AM   #19175
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

My wife told me that last night after we watched the film. This happens all the time too, like when cities allow film crews to use public spaces as locations and they trash the shit all to hell, or destroy the concrete, or ruin the landscaping....
Old 03.17.2016, 10:37 AM   #19176
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Saw this last night. Liked it a lot. Quite the freakout film, a la classic Tarantino in my eyes. (I hated HATED Django Unchained soooo much)
harsh!

I'm so glad to hear you liked it!!

I'm quite a Tarantino fan. I actually loved Django Unchained, even though it was a very strange blend of American western, Spaghetti Western, modern revenge story and distinctly unsophisticated gore fest (with a few stylistic choices that made it just plain not work as a historical film -- yeah, Tupac didn't help the authenticity), but it was still dope.

Anyway I'd heard mixed things about Hateful Eight. My father, who shares my love for Tarantino, saw it and said, "I think Tarantino's time is coming to an end." Which made me nervous. As did the fact that it was not up for Best Picture, which is uncharacteristic of Tarantino flicks in general.

But my confidence has been bolstered, and now I'm gonna make sure I see it ASAP.
Old 03.17.2016, 10:38 AM   #19177
Severian
invito al cielo

Did I mention that the best part about that PARTISAN film is that the soundtrack was done by Oneohtrix Point Never? I had no idea.
Old 03.17.2016, 10:57 AM   #19178
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Tarantino is one of my peoples!!!

I love most of his movies, and even the ones I do not like story-wise (Django, Kill Bill Pt.2 ) were beautiful to look at.

I remember watching Reservoir Dogs for the first time, and True Romance (which would have been much better if he had directed it) and going, jesus christ here is a guy making movies I wanna see!

my list of the official tarantino movies in order of preference

Reservoir Dogs
Jackie Brown
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Bastards
Hateful Eight
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol.2
Django Unchained
DEath Proof

The only two I hated were the last two on the list, and I am not a big fan of KIll Bill Vol 2. I found it boring and slow.
Old 03.17.2016, 12:20 PM   #19179
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
There hasn't been a Tarantino film I've hated. I hear all the reasons why people don't like his movies, and they aren't necessarily wrong in some of their big grips, but for me his movies are a lot of fun. I'm even a big fan of Death Proof, which I never understood the quite sexist argument of ladies who just talk throughout the film. Opposed to Reservoir Dogs where its just a bunch of guys talking? Kill Bill is my favorite movie, and while I have never seen The Whole Bloody Affair version I still count it as one movie, so I don't say I love Vol.1 but hated Vol. 2. I dig both. I've only seen The Hateful Eight once, but I said that might be my second favorite Tarantino movie behind Kill Bill. I've yet to see it a second time to cement that opinion, but its a good one.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.17.2016, 12:50 PM   #19180
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

the only one I actively wanted to stop watching because I did not enjoy it was Django. Maybe I just hate DiCrapio....
859909949956957958 959 96096196296910091059 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth