Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Change your stylus? When?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.16.2007, 12:21 AM   #41
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
It's a straight-up turntable (looks pretty heavy-duty, too...)
And as far as I know, the cords are plugged in correctly, into the "game" jacks (same as my other record player).
Perhaps this turntable is somehow not compatible with modern speakers? I don't see why that would be, though... I'll have to check when my aunt brings me the old speakers that were used with this turntable...)

Hmmm. Speakers are wired to the amp/receiver, not the turntable. Are the cartridge wires (the tiny wires behind the cartridge) connected to the tonearm wires/jacks? Or correctly wired? They have to match--each wire goes to a specific jack.
Old 08.16.2007, 12:28 AM   #42
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Or it could just be fucked.
Old 08.16.2007, 12:57 AM   #43
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
that is certainly a possibility. maybe it got jostled around when your aunt was bringing it over and something got thrown off?
Old 08.16.2007, 01:18 AM   #44
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Hmmm. Speakers are wired to the amp/receiver, not the turntable. Are the cartridge wires (the tiny wires behind the cartridge) connected to the tonearm wires/jacks? Or correctly wired? They have to match--each wire goes to a specific jack.

unless the speakers are powered by an inbuild amplifier.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 01:50 AM   #45
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I think I'll just take it to someone who could fix it for sure, instead of me potentially runinng it beyond repair. Dammit, I don't feel like spedning money on... THIS! I GOT AMP TO BUY!

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 01:51 AM   #46
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
you could just go back to your old unit and buy that amp.
Old 08.16.2007, 07:18 AM   #47
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I change my stylus every year. It gets a lot of wear and tear for I rock my records full time.

I would recommend you change it every year. any dirt or irregularly shaped stylus will cause some wear and damage to yr vinyl and we all know how terrible it would be to create hiss and crackle in an old Mono version of Revolver right?

and age ain't nothin but a party y'all. Look at the band we have all become sycophants over! Kim G is ol enough to be some of you'se grandma! yet she rocks like a magik kiss and I bet she'd break my cock off and.....

sorry, got carried away.
Old 08.16.2007, 07:23 AM   #48
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
Shit, I hope someone can answer this for me...
(I know it's not about the stylus but...)
Ok, I just got a "new" record player from my aunt (it's actually old, but.. new to me)... so, I cleaned it up and stuff, hooked it up, all before realizing the the drive-belt was absolutely OBLITERATED (literally... it was basically in the form of chunky tar)... so, I went and bought a new belt... set it up, you know (well, the store owner set it up...).
ANYWAY! I brought it home, hooked it up... and it... "works".... but it's QUIET AS FUCK! Like, at max volume, it's barely audible.
Can someone explain this? Should I just give up hope and go back to my other player?

don;t know if this has been explained. Older turntables do not have their own built in amplifier, ussually relying on the amp in one's receiver or stere stack, which noone has anymore. what you can do is get a $25 pre-amp at Radio Shack, and a 9 volt battery, connect all that and BLAST YOUR ALBUM to the sky!!!!!!!!!!!!
something that looks like this

Old 08.16.2007, 08:48 PM   #50
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rob Instigator again." Well damn, that's the first time that has happened to me!
Quite a lot of old turntables do have built in amplifiers too, it would help to know the name of this certain record player you speak of k-krack and the speakers you are using too.
Funnily enough, coincidently, I have just been left an old 'Fidelity' UA5, it hasn't been played for a few years and is all ceased up. I'm currently working on it, got it spinning again with the help of a bit of lubricant.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 08:54 PM   #51
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
there's an old man who lives across the street from my mom (which is here) that i quite like, not in a convoluted perverted way or anything i just think he's nice. i like old people.

A lot of young ladies, (like 18 to 20 odd) like and are attracted to older men. I don't know what it is, supposedly one of the reasons is that women mature much faster then men.
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth