Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page More favourites lists...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.14.2006, 02:35 PM   #1
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I want a list of the favourite records you heard (but weren't released) this year. I'm not terribly bothered if you didn't buy them this year, although t'would be preferable.

I feel left out because I don't believe I've bought enough records released this year (if any) to merit my playing in the other threads.

So. Edith Piaf best of; Drones and Chanters (Solo Uillean pipe music); Rough Guide to the Music of the Balkans; Munir Bashir - Iraq; The Fall box set; MCR's first; Wastell/ Matin - Vault; Ground Zero - Last concert.

If you can't be bothered with this, then hey, why not use this thread to talk about beans, or tuna or whichever is your favourite sandwhich filling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 02:42 PM   #2
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses

screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 02:44 PM   #3
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
favourite sandwich filling is tuna and sweetcorn.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 02:45 PM   #4
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Various-Spymania Allstars/Welcome To Celebrity Fog Donkey
Various-Surf City Greatest Hits
Steve Reich-Different Trains Piano Phase
The Hair & Skin Trading Co-Over Valence(cd)
Lexaunculpt-The Blurring Of Trees
Mick Turner-Moth
Various-Way Out North

Let me think of some more............

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 04:21 PM   #5
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing In The Hands
Parenthetical Girls - GRRRLS
Dirty Projectors - New Attitude
Cat Power - Covers Record
Old 12.14.2006, 04:55 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I want a list of the favourite records you heard (but weren't released) this year. I'm not terribly bothered if you didn't buy them this year, although t'would be preferable.

I feel left out because I don't believe I've bought enough records released this year (if any) to merit my playing in the other threads.

So. Edith Piaf best of; Drones and Chanters (Solo Uillean pipe music); Rough Guide to the Music of the Balkans; Munir Bashir - Iraq; The Fall box set; MCR's first; Wastell/ Matin - Vault; Ground Zero - Last concert.

If you can't be bothered with this, then hey, why not use this thread to talk about beans, or tuna or whichever is your favourite sandwhich filling.

albert ayler's holy ghost 3-lp set for me, or deerhoof's "holdypaws", or...

sandwich "filling".... does nutella count?

otherwise... avocado + shrimp, fried oysters, or lobster!, or "jambon beurre"-- or pate de campagne with cornichons-- or...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 05:29 PM   #7
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Cotswald Series Volume 1: the Music of Cry Havoc (brilliant Morris-dance music from the Cry Havoc troupe)

The Best of Tenpole Tudor: Swords of a Thousand Men (the title track was on Top of the Pops when I was 10 [1981] and they instantly became my first real favourite band). Nice to finally get this compilation.

The Magus by the Third Ear Band. I bought it from a charity shop because I liked the cover, and the tracks seemed to be named after tarot cards. They turn out to be an old folk/spacerock/whatever crossover band from the mid - late 1960's. I'd never heard of them, and none of the shops have anything else by them. But this LP is a favourite.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2006, 07:26 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Ooh, could you send us some of that Morris dancing music? Sounds great. I can probably do you some Tibetan chant in exchange if you like.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 12.14.2006, 07:29 PM   #9
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
The Magus is great!
Recorded back in the day, yes, but that was actually released pretty recently. Not sure if it was 2006, but it is definitely from the last couple of years.
Third Ear Band are a huge favorite of mine. Their Macbeth soundtrack and the album "Alchemy" are both fantastic. One of my most treasured jewels is a UK original of "Alchemy."
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 01:17 PM   #10
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ooh, could you send us some of that Morris dancing music? Sounds great. I can probably do you some Tibetan chant in exchange if you like.

I could copy it for you, certainly. Unfortunately it's the only Morris cd that I have. I shall pm you.

Quote:
The Magus is great!
Recorded back in the day, yes, but that was actually released pretty recently. Not sure if it was 2006, but it is definitely from the last couple of years.
Third Ear Band are a huge favorite of mine. Their Macbeth soundtrack and the album "Alchemy" are both fantastic. One of my most treasured jewels is a UK original of "Alchemy."

I really love The Magus, but I've had zero luck in the shops thus far. I will take Alchemy as a recommendation and snap it up as soon as I find a copy!

edit: got a self-titled LP today! Four tracks called Air, Earth, Fire and Water. The second track in particular is wonderful.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 02:11 PM   #11
nomowish
children of satan

nomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's assesnomowish kicks all y'all's asses
Head Over Heels - Cocteau Twins
Moon Pix - Cat Power
The Greatest - Cat Power
Ambient II: Plateaux of Mirror - Brian Eno/Harold Budd (or Budd/Eno)
nomowish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2006, 02:25 PM   #12
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
I heard The Fall's first LP this year. Very impressed. Also, Sebadoh- The Freed Weed, Greatful Dead- Live-Dead, Butthole Surfers- Locust Abortion Technician, The Raconeurs- Broken Boy Soldeirs, Deltron 3030- S/T, Bob Dylan- World Gone Wrong and Modern Times
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 11:32 AM   #13
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
a heaping helping of favorites

2006 being the year of my exposure

. . .

The Velvet Underground & Nico - Scepter Studios NYC (from the acetate dated 4/25/66) (thank you, luxinterior!!!)

John Coltrane Quintet Live at Birdland NYC '62-'63

Glenn Branca Symphony No.13 for 100 Guitars Hallucination City WTC NYC March '01

the 2006 edition reissue of David Byrne & Brian Eno's My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

Sonic Youth Posthof Linz, Austria '83 - Sugar Babies
A-Number-One American Entertainment!!!...
side-splitting, I laughed, I cried...it was much better than Cats

The Grateful Dead
The Melkweg Amsterdam '81 two discs, one of which is an acoustic set from FM (same tour the acoustic live album Reckoning was recorded)
also: disc 3/3 from Berkeley Community Theatre 8/21/72 (but one of many exceedingly good '72 shows)

John Coltrane Quartet/Quintet - Live 'Trane Underground Series (this year I was able to download the balance of those that I didn't have already from the 12-disc set)

Peter Gabriel - Passion outtakes

R.E.M. 4/24/82 Merlyn's Madison, WI sbd (thanks Chout!)
also: 4/25/84 The Gallery Manchester

The Beatles - Love (although released this year, it's a remastered remix album)

One Night on the Anarchy Tour double bootleg, 12/09/76 Manchester & Leeds, UK, two discs, Sex Pistols x2, The Clash & Buzzcocks sets

Nick Drake - March '69 Peel Session
also: Elton John/Nick Drake demos '68

The Jesus Lizard's last show, 3/27/99, FM broadcast from Umea, Sweden

Afrirampo - Urusa
also: Afrirampo - A

Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity (releasing next year)
(thank you, person who may not want to be named!)

Sonic Youth Le Zenith Paris 12/13/06 2-disc audience recording(s)
(thank you (in the unlikely event that you just so happen to be reading), kissamos!)

The Smiths - Live in Los Angeles/John Peel Sessions
(thank you, porkmarras!)

Elvis Presley - 10/03/69 Las Vegas International Las Vegas sbd

Willie Dixon - Quiet Knight boot from FM, Chicago '74

Boredoms - Super Roots 8

Sun Ra and His Arkestra at J.P. Whidney High School, Watts, Los Angeles 6/12/71 (so, very early), two discs
also: various other Sun Ra bootlegs (there's been quite a few this year)

Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers - 7/25/75 CBGB NYC and S.O.B.: The Lost Tapes '76-'77 (Japanese bootleg with Max’s Kansas City 7/23/76 & Portsmouth Polytechnic, UK 6/23/77)
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 12:44 PM   #14
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
NNCK - Letters from the Earth
Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm
gigantic Albert Ayler box set
Keiji Haino - Watashi dake
Pelt - Ayahuasca / Pearls from the River (first heard these 2 days ago!)
Sunburned Hand of the Man - Wedlock
Jun Togawa - Tamahime sama
Kazuki Tomokawa - Yume wa hibi genki ni shindeyuku / Maboroshi to asobu
Stanely Brothers LP and American Primitive CDs from Revenant

I bought many a Sun Ra record this year
and got into cutesy girly JPop in a big way (takako matsu!).
I also had a thing for MCR for awhile (we played i'm not ooookaaay on repeat for two days straight once), but that phase passed quickly. I predict big things for them in 2007.
Old 12.18.2006, 03:40 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
Jun Togawa - Tamahime sama

What label is this on? I've been keeping half an eye out for solo stuff of hers since those utterly perfect tracks on OYNJE's Dreams, to no avail.

Furthermore, NNCK's letters from the earth is my favourite album of theirs, which places it roughly number 8 in my favourite albums ever (The Fall really do ruin that list for other bands).

Oh, and re: Your owning the Ayler box set - BASTARD.

Quote:
Old 12.18.2006, 03:44 PM   #16
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Black Flag-My War
Mission of Burma-Vs
Butthole Surfers-Locust Abortion Technician
VU and Nico
White Light/White Heat
Loveless
Isn't Anything
Doolittle
Surfer Rosa
Meat Puppets 2 and s/t
Bad Moon Rising
Black Flag-First Four Years
Minor Threat Complete Discography
REM-Murmur

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 05:48 PM   #17
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
What label is this on? I've been keeping half an eye out for solo stuff of hers since those utterly perfect tracks on OYNJE's Dreams, to no avail.

Furthermore, NNCK's letters from the earth is my favourite album of theirs, which places it roughly number 8 in my favourite albums ever (The Fall really do ruin that list for other bands).

Oh, and re: Your owning the Ayler box set - BASTARD.

I bought the original LP off of Ebay. I doubt if there is any other way to obtain her records outside of Japan, but if it helps she released a few LPs on Yen Records from the early to mid 80s, Tamahime sama being my favorite. They periodically show up on EBay, so that's your best bet. Otherwise there is a double CD compilation called 20th Century Jun pretty widely available (in the US at least), but it's mostly stuff from her band Guernica, which is not nearly as good as the solo stuff.

Look for these:
Suki Suki Dai Suki (1985) Yen Records
Kyokuto Ian Shoka (1985) Yen Records
Radar Man (re-da-man) (1984) Yen Records
Tamahime Sama (1983) Yen Records

She also was in a band called Yapoos you might want to check out. I don't own any of their records though.

I think I have already told you this, but there is also an absurd amount of Jun Togawa videos on youtube.

And I paid dearly for that Ayler box set. I couldn't eat for a month after buying that thing.
Old 12.18.2006, 07:25 PM   #18
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
Don Cherry - Eternal Rhythm
gigantic Albert Ayler box set

Stanely Brothers LP and American Primitive CDs from Revenant

I bought many a Sun Ra record this year

Wow, both you and !@#$%! have that mondo Albert Ayler box.

I'd also like the Orphans box from Waits.

Sun Ra blew me away on Atlantis and Outerspaceways, Incorporated especially, but he and his band are always an interesting listen. Night of the Purple Moon and The Lady With the Golden Stockings are two I'd like to have. Have you heard those?

I need more Stanley Bros. Ralph & the Stanleys and Flatt & Scruggs are my favorite bluegrass. I listen to some New Riders of the Purple Sage, Alison Krauss & Union Station and Del McCoury Band too sometimes.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2006, 07:42 PM   #19
hat and beard
stalker

I have Night of the Purple Moon, which is pretty similar in style to stuff like Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy... very percussive spaced out weirdness. I'd definitely recommend it.
I've been really enjoying the Ra records from the late 50 and early 60s when his music was still firmly rooted in the hard bop sound. It boggles my mind that he's not held in the same regard as guys like Mingus.

If you don't have the revenant Stanely Brothers LP yet that has alot of their best stuff on it. They were always good, but they tamed their sound alot as they got older. This LP has their rawest recordings. Great great stuff.
Old 12.20.2006, 01:40 AM   #20
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
Comets on Fire- Avatar
Comets on Fire- Blue Cathedral
Sonic Youth- Murray Street
Bob Dylan- Blonde on Blonde
Gotan Project- Lunático
The Hunches- Hobo Sunrise
Sunburned Hand of the Man- Rare Wood
Miles Davis- Kind of Blue
Minutemen- Double Nickels On The Dime
Neil Young- After The Goldrush
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth