Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Shooting at Virginia Tech campus
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.16.2007, 04:50 PM   #121
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
It's called a constituency. It's the body of people that vote candidates into office and pressure from this electorate often curries influence with a representative as a result, especially if the issue at hand has to do with public safety, of all things.

One thing's for sure, though.
If you don't write messages or join activist group(s) that will present your message to government, then you're basically screaming at a wall.

Why do political parties subcontract out survey companies to call their constituency? They do it to see what they can get away with and what they probably can't get away with. Don't give into apathy like you've been programmed. Your votes and concerns do matter.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 04:50 PM   #122
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Guns don't make peaceful countries violent, they just make violent ones even more violent.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 04:54 PM   #123
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
As far as this shooter, as they almost always are, they may have been programmed by some hate group.

Most "lone wolves" that carry out acts like these have some affiliation with a hate group or militia, yet the proponents of this hate that coerce these troubled individuals are only made culpable in extremely rare cases.

It seems pretty fucked that if you have a cross on your website and claim to be "christian" like a lot of these white power militias and hate groups, then you're somehow not treated like Charles Manson for pushing the buttons of the psychopaths that commit abhorrent crimes like these.

A primary repeat offender is Dr.William H. Pierce (dead since 2002) who wrote the homespun terrorist hate-book, The Turner Diaries which unfortunately still carries great influence. Some of his recent followers include bombers Timothy McVeigh and Eric Rudolph, the guys in Texas that dragged the black man behind their pick-up until he was dead, and the guy in L.A. that gunned down eight at a Jewish daycare center. The url for his genocidal National Alliance organization is www.natall.com. Their symbol is an upside-down peace sign.

If you're appalled at Pierce's thought and his followers (which are growing by the day), please support the Anti-Defamation League.
Their site is www.adl.org
http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/Pierce.asp
Old 04.16.2007, 04:55 PM   #124
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
school shootings are shocking and all, and scare people, and make for very good drawn out infotainment on the news.

so 19 school shootings in the last 10 years?
around 100 people killed in school shootings in the last ten years?

when it comes to the bigger picture, BIG FUCKING DEAL.

1 in 5 americans die from heart disease of some sort
1 in 7 americans die from cancer.
1 in 84 die from motor vehicle accidents
1 in 314 die from firearms assault.
1 in 5134 die in ACCIDENTAL FIREARM DISCHARGE

ban cars before guns. ban alcohol before guns too.

Old 04.16.2007, 05:07 PM   #125
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
Why does having a camera around make you feel safer?
A camera can't protect you when someone decides it's your time to die. All it will do is film your death.

Surely the aim is to stop the crime from happening in the first place, not to let it happen and then use the footage to catch the criminal.

it was just the fact that if someone where to try something then they might think twice and they wouldnt get away with it.

i realise that when someone is crazy or drunk/high then they dont really care but in some circumstances it has made me feel slightly better.

totaly agree with you on what you said about gun crime etc.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 05:11 PM   #126
sarramkrop

Ok, my point here is that if you strictly compare the amount of crime that is gun-related and takes place in the USA to the violent crime that is commited in England, you'll find the the only real difference is the size of the two nations (just an example, it could have been France,Italy, Spain, Germany etc etc). The suggestion of joining an activist group is more practical than simply writing letters, and that is because it implies that some sort of pressurizing campaign is taking place. The next problem that arises is if such campaigns are consistent, numerous and truly influential in the course of law-making that will lead to more strict gun ownership regulations. After more than 5 such examples of mass shootings, it is perfectly normal to see these activist groups as ineffective. What does this tell us? That there aren't enough incidents (and victims) to seriously ban private ownership of guns alltogether. It also poses the problem of banning an instrument of death when you are in a war situation that uses more potent machines of mass destruction to annihiliate its enemies. How are you going to eliminate the thought of violence ,when the very same example that is shown on the news is that of a country that uses violence when rationality runs short?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 05:12 PM   #127
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
school shootings are shocking and all, and scare people, and make for very good drawn out infotainment on the news.

so 19 school shootings in the last 10 years?
around 100 people killed in school shootings in the last ten years?

when it comes to the bigger picture, BIG FUCKING DEAL.

1 in 5 americans die from heart disease of some sort
1 in 7 americans die from cancer.
1 in 84 die from motor vehicle accidents
1 in 314 die from firearms assault.
1 in 5134 die in ACCIDENTAL FIREARM DISCHARGE

ban cars before guns. ban alcohol before guns too.

tell that to the parents of someone who got shot at school.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 04.16.2007, 05:14 PM   #128
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Ok, my point here is that if you strictly compare the amount of crime that is gun-related and takes place in the USA to the violent crime that is commited in England, you'll find the the only real difference is the size of the two nations

Sure, but do you think that making guns legal would have no effect whatsoever on street crime in England?
Old 04.16.2007, 05:16 PM   #129
Brett Robinson
bad moon rising

Brett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
Yes but it does happen with alarming regularity in the US. 19 school shootings in the last 10 years I heard.

Meet the problem head-on. Ban the private ownership of guns except in special circumstances. Hunters can store their guns in secure plces like police stations, collect them when they want to go hunting, and return them when they've finished. Target shooters can store their guns at gun clubs and not at home. Apart from these and maybe a couple of other categories that I can't think of right now, NO other private citizen should be allowed to own a gun.

Banning guns will not stop humans from killing each other, but it will make it a lot more difficult.

i can't even believe this. generally i'm appreciative of your posts florya, but not here i guess. like i mentioned, do we ban fertilizer because it was allegedly what mcveigh used to kill more people than all those 20 school shootings combined? and we're talking 19 murderers out of how many millions of people in the united states? i dont feel its fair for my constitutional right to be abolished because of 19 out of 250,000,000 people. do you? don't even get me started on the amount of crooked cops... it's bad enough that in the our bill of rights has been mostly washed away since Bush came into office, anyone who's trying to abolish the 2nd amendment may as well be cut from the same cloth of crappy elected officials that rushed the previously-drafted patriotic act thru congress after 9/11. i'm a paeceful person. if i want to go out in the desert and blow stuff up, why shouldn't i be allowed to? my gov't can detonate nuclear bombs that cause cancer rates to rise for decades after the fact, but you don't think i should be allowed to shoot a bullet into a beer can?

whomever said media coverage fuels this problem is dead on. a recent school shooter, point in case from last year:: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/ar...hool_shooting/

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
One thing's for sure, though.
If you don't write messages or join activist group(s) that will present your message to government, then you're basically screaming at a wall.

and if you DO join those groups, you'll be put on no-fly terrorist-watch lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
guns....are fucking awesome.

...and i think shooting a deer is much nicer than stabbing it to death (not to mention easier).

pretty much couldn't agree more, though i don't own any firearms at all and have no interest in hunting.
Brett Robinson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 05:17 PM   #130
sarramkrop

Not particularly. The method of killing would change, but the murder would still take place.

Edit-Demon
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 05:17 PM   #131
jon boy
invito al cielo

Quote:
this is the kinda shit i hate....

such a weak argument.

yes i am not that keen on saying that either but i think in this case it would apply.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 04.16.2007, 05:17 PM   #132
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Well, as anyone can see from my other post, I believe that most mass murders are committed by hate group followers. There is also a growing amount of troubling evidence that our own goverment is involved. The politics of totalitarianism only work if people are kept in fear, you see. So far, I am the ony one exploring this side of the tragic events, thus far. My initial guess is the perp shot at groups of people where there were whites "mingling" with other races. This might explain why the attacks were carried out in two phases as he searched for new victims.

Back in the old days, they just had their skinheads on the streets to spread terror and hate. Nowadays, these hate groups have attracted wealthier and more intelligent followers, many with arsenals and homemade explosives at their disposal. They also continually threaten that if their tools to create new followers, (if their free speech is ever taken away or websites taken down, literature banned) then they will stage a violent uprising in the U.S.
I personally feel it's an empty threat and that they should all be put out of business immediately regardless of free speech issues.

Simply stated, if your group or religion espouses mass murder, then that group should not be allowed freedom of religion or speech in the United States of America. You read about my beef with the second amendment earlier, here's my gripe about the first.

Of course, any tampering with the constitution should be overseen with great care by We the People in order to protect the freedoms we do have, that goes without stating. It worries me how little people pay attention in general, so any changes to the Bill of Rights would naturally be trepidatious territory for that reason.
Old 04.16.2007, 05:19 PM   #133
Brett Robinson
bad moon rising

Brett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's assesBrett Robinson kicks all y'all's asses
i'd also like to point out that almost 100 years ago, many social ills were blamed on DRUNKENNESS in the United States. This was followd by 13 years of prohibition. Lot of good THAT did!
Old 04.16.2007, 05:20 PM   #134
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Not particularly. The method of killing would change, but the murder would still take place.

I dunno, an arsehole with a knife is a big worry, but an arsehole with an AK47 is a fucking disaster waiting to happen.
Old 04.16.2007, 05:22 PM   #135
Brett Robinson
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I dunno, an arsehole with a knife is a big worry, but an arsehole with an AK47 is a fucking disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah, our country is overrun with AK47s...

In the United States

Private ownership of fully-automatic AK-47 rifles is tightly regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA) of 1934. The Gun Control Act of 1968 ceased importing of foreign-manufactured fully-automatic firearms for civilian sales and possession, effectively halting further importation of civilian accessible AK-47 rifles. In 1986, an amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act stopped all future domestic manufacture of fully-automatic weapons for civilian use.
However, machine guns manufactured domestically prior to 1986 or imported prior to 1968 may be transferred between civilians in accordance with federal and state law. Several Soviet and Communist Chinese rifles made it into the U.S. during the mid-1960s, when returning Vietnam veterans brought them home after capture from enemy troops. Many of these were properly registered during the 1968 NFA amnesty.
Nevertheless, several states have laws on their books outlawing private possession of fully-automatic firearms even with NFA approval. Certain semi-automatic AK-47 models were banned by the now-expired Assault Weapons Ban of 1994–2004.

yay wikipedia.
Old 04.16.2007, 05:24 PM   #136
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600

Simply stated, if your group or religion espouses genocidal murder, then that group should not be allowed freedom of religion or speech in the Unites States of America.

That's a different kettle of fish, though. True, i'd ban any sort of propaganda that incites violence, simply on the ground that if you give freedom of speech to such groups, their violent ways will take it away from others.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 05:26 PM   #137
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
If i was gonna killed, i'd rather be shot than stabbed. Tha way you would have less chances of feeling any pain.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 05:27 PM   #138
Brett Robinson
bad moon rising

Quote:
what about someone with the internet that spends 5 minutes learning how to make explosives from everyday household items?

theres no end man....

it took me 3 minutes.

with a dial-up connection.

13 years ago.
Old 04.16.2007, 05:32 PM   #139
atari 2600
invito al cielo

However, machine guns manufactured domestically prior to 1986 or imported prior to 1968 may be transferred between civilians in accordance with federal and state law.

You seem to miss that part. There are plenty of automatic weapons circulating to go around. The ban on assualt weapons expired in 2004 anyway. Of great concern is that there are immeasurable amounts of handguns already in circulation and (literally) tons more being produced at alarming rates every day. It's a fucked situation that our government refuses to address.
http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/...0409130630.asp
the now-expired Assault Weapons Ban of 1994–2004...
Before the ban elapsed in 2004, automatic rifles sold at guns shows were primarily purchased without the firing pins. These are obtainable on the black market, usually from the dealer on the sly. Hell, I think you can easily just order the firing pins for whatever make and model from Soldier of Fortune magazine.
Old 04.16.2007, 05:38 PM   #140
sarramkrop

Well, the amount of ignorance that humans are happy to live with is appaling, American or not American. Especially in this time and age. The fact that people treat human life with such disregard is a sign that society in general is way too rotten and contradictory to truly sustain harmonious living between people. Moral of the story( and then i'll shut up on the subject, i promise) is that unless you truly change society at its core, these kind of things are inevitable.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth