Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page PJ Harvey Fans
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.08.2007, 12:24 PM   #21
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I'll confess she is my longest-running celebrity crush.

second only to Kim in my book.

she makes me tingley.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 04:22 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
...i don't like her at all.

almost as bad as that chick from the magik markers.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 04:22 PM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
...........but she's not tori amos.. thank god..

...and she's definitely no kathleen hanna, the msot worthless chick in the history of music...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 04:24 PM   #24
sarramkrop

sTRONG FEELINGS YOU HAVE THERE.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2007, 04:46 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
PJ Harvey is second only to Kim Gordon as far as ROCK GODDESSES go

I am her biggest fanatic here in Houston TX.

everything she does is GOLD JERRY! GOLD!
Old 08.08.2007, 04:50 PM   #26
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
nobody has comments on the new song?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2007, 04:31 AM   #27
matt74m
little trouble girl

matt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
PJ Harvey is second only to Kim Gordon as far as ROCK GODDESSES go

I am her biggest fanatic here in Houston TX.

everything she does is GOLD JERRY! GOLD!

Her older music is good but theres no escaping her being an upper class twat done good. Her lyrics can be unbelievably bad.

Second to Kim Gordon? What about Kim Deal?
matt74m is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2007, 04:58 AM   #28
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt74m
Her older music is good but theres no escaping her being an upper class twat done good. Her lyrics can be unbelievably bad.

Second to Kim Gordon? What about Kim Deal?

What are you talking about?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2007, 06:36 AM   #29
matt74m
little trouble girl

matt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of light
You obviously didn't see the video that I did. You know she's part of the pro fox hunting brigade?
Old 08.09.2007, 06:39 AM   #30
sarramkrop

Yeah, I am pro fox hunting too.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2007, 07:29 AM   #31
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt74m
theres no escaping her being an upper class twat done good.

She was brought up on a small farm. whether that makes her upper class (or a twat) I'm not sure.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2007, 08:07 AM   #32
sarramkrop

She's looking as gorgeous as ever.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=170134641949

|QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2007, 08:27 AM   #33
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Yeah, I am pro fox hunting too.

You also like hunting bears, don't you?
Old 08.09.2007, 08:30 AM   #34
sarramkrop

No more. They are high maintanance.

Didn't PJ Harvey make those comments about fox hunting because she said that the foxes were killing her mum and dad's chickens? I think that that interview was on the NME a few years ago. There you go, she was only trying to defend her chickens.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2007, 08:40 AM   #35
sarramkrop

PJ Harvey's White Chalk

There's an interesting interview with Steve Albini in the forthcoming issue of Uncut, where he talks about various albums he's been involved with over the years. One of them is PJ Harvey's "Rid Of Me". "Around that point, Polly was a wicked guitar player," Albini says. "One of the things that I think she lost after she moved away from the band format, and into the solo artist format, is that she doesn't show off her guitar playing any more - she's not in a situation where her guitar playing matters as much."

Continued...
I wonder what Albini will make of Harvey's new album? It's called "White Chalk", and there is barely any guitar on it. Instead, this is a piano album, a record of great beauty, austerity and discreet power. The first thing you notice about it, though, as "The Devil" begins, is that there's a pronounced change in her voice. Far from the deep, carnal swagger that dominated "Uh Huh Her", Harvey's voice is pitched higher, and is much more fragile-sounding. "White Chalk" is not, for once, a PJ Harvey record that will draw the usual Patti Smith comparisons.

In fact, the first point of reference that springs to mind as "The Devil" rides along on firmly plonked piano and tambourine, is the ethereal soul of Laura Nyro. The relative bounce of this proves to be a bit of a red herring, though. For much of "White Chalk", there's a sombre austerity to proceedings, epitomised by the cover portrait of Harvey sat, prim in white gown, looking for all the world (as our pic researcher Phil astutely points out) like a Whistler portrait.

There's a touch of antique gothic here, as you might imagine, a hint of romantic spirit struggling to express itself in a tightly-buttoned environment. The imagery is visceral and loaded: words "are tightening around the throat of the one I love" in "Dear Darkness"; "Grow Grow Grow" involves planting roses and tramping earth down beneath "twisted oak groves"; "Scratch my palms, there's blood on my hands," she observes in the title track. "When Under Ether" has the atmosphere of a haunted Victorian hospital, a tripping song far away from the raptures of psychedelia.

It's a short record (33 minutes, I think) of 11 songs, and the nearest antecedent I can remember in Harvey's back catalogue are those piano nocturnes on "Is This Desire?" (especially "When Under Ether", for some reason). At other times ("Broken Harp" and "White Chalk" itself), I'm faintly reminded of Will Oldham, his meticulous, emotionally-charged minimalism - though "White Chalk" escalates into something discreetly epic, a Morricone sketch.

As far as I know, the only other musicians are the faithful Eric Drew Feldman and the great Jim White, a new recruit, on drums. White is well trained in this sort of understated music, having worked plenty with Chan Marshall, and he brushes his kit so stealthily at times as to be practically invisible.

The idea, clearly, is to put all the focus on the piano and the voice. Sometimes, Harvey's vocals are treated and dislocated: on "To Talk To You" her tone has a voluptuous soft-focus shape a bit like that of Liz Fraser (in This Mortal Coil, rather than in the over-varnished clutter of The Cocteau Twins, though). Once or twice, when the songs become less impressionistic and more immediate ("Silence", especially), there's a momentum which sounds like a ghostly, subversive response to the dominant piano rock of Coldplay, Keane et al.

"White Chalk", of course, sounds nothing like that: it's far too odd and intimate and cobwebby for mass singalongs in the O2 Dome, I'm sure. It's also, I think, one of the most compelling albums that Harvey has made. That confrontational crunch of guitar and stentorian bass voice may be absent (though not gone forever, I suspect), but an identifiable musical character remains: balancing, perhaps more overtly than ever, shyness with great passion. Thirty seconds before the record ends, in "The Mountain", she lets out this great melodious banshee wail, very Kate Bush actually, and sounds like she's making an escape from the formal strictures she's imposed on herself. It's a thrilling moment of liberation, but it'd be meaningless without all the atmosphere and tension which precedes it.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/index.ph...1&pb=1#more376
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2007, 09:36 AM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I will get it.

and

kim deal has really really let herself go man
Old 08.09.2007, 09:39 AM   #37
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I will get it.

and

kim deal has really really let herself go man

Me too!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.10.2007, 05:24 AM   #38
matt74m
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
She was brought up on a small farm. whether that makes her upper class (or a twat) I'm not sure.

All I can say is try digging out the video, think its called Reeling. It's no 'Year That Punk Broke' put me off her completely. Can't say that I've been impressed with her in anyway as a person when I've seen her being interviewed either.

But as I say, her early music was pretty good. Think her last two albums have one or two good songs, but really, they aren't anything special.
Old 08.10.2007, 11:34 AM   #39
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Uh HUH Her was a fucking awesome album.
Old 09.07.2007, 02:03 PM   #40
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses

so much mistery in this pic
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth