Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page asp's classic albums # 71: korn - s/t
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.17.2009, 11:12 AM   #21
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Korn is still around?

their career was like they got to the top of the mountain and then someone pushed them over and they disappeared faster than showed up. Sorry I was too old to ever enjoy this band.
Old 10.17.2009, 05:30 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Too old to enjoy the drum rolls in "Ball Tongue"?

Sad.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2009, 09:10 PM   #23
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Korn were fine until they got all "gangsta"...

I want the creepy, claustrophobic, dissonant KoRn of old back, not the "let's get fucked up and party" KoRn we're stuck with now...
Old 10.18.2009, 02:58 AM   #24
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
No they made a song about the greenhouse effect on their latest album....
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2009, 04:09 AM   #25
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka

Yay, if you're going to review Korn, how about this one!
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2009, 04:14 AM   #26
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Korn is the most godawful drivel I've ever heard. Melodramatic plastic bullshit. I hated this band for the following reasons:

1. I hated the way the guitarists would pose while playing. Like bodies at 90 degree angles.
2. I hated the obviously corporate constructed loose nut persona that that hillbilly lead singer was given. And I hated his eyebrow ring.
3. I hated the fact that whenever they were interviewed that they would talk about how rich they were.
4. I hated that they were friends with the Limp Buzzcuts.
5. I hated the sounds that every instrument made and the fact that they did not go together whatsoever.
6. I hated, fucking hated, that guy's voice and the fact that millions of teenagers were in their room pretending to be him at any given moment.
Old 10.18.2009, 04:14 AM   #27
children of satan

Korn is the most godawful drivel I've ever heard. Melodramatic plastic bullshit. I hated this band for the following reasons:

1. I hated the way the guitarists would pose while playing. Like bodies at 90 degree angles.
2. I hated the obviously corporate constructed loose nut persona that that hillbilly lead singer was given. And I hated his eyebrow ring.
3. I hated the fact that whenever they were interviewed that they would talk about how rich they were.
5. I hated the sounds that every instrument made and the fact that they did not go together whatsoever.
6. I hated, fucking hated, that guy's voice and the fact that millions of teenagers were in their room pretending to be him at any given moment.
Old 10.18.2009, 06:01 AM   #28
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses

Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2009, 06:04 AM   #29
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2009, 06:15 AM   #30
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
What Toxic Johnny says. Band for children.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2010, 06:41 AM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
90 degree angles, haha.

Old 02.24.2010, 06:50 AM   #32
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
i never understood the nu-metal thing
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2010, 07:05 AM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

It's kinda like Sonic Youth, alternate tunings and noise.

Old 02.24.2010, 07:15 AM   #34
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
what REALLY pissed me off was what replaced nu-metal - FUCKING STROKES WUT FUCK OFF. shitty regressive indie guitar old fashioned no electronics regressive white hives strokes white stripes BULLSHIT. morrissey went from being a joke to being popular again. then you ended up with bands like the artic monkeys and franz ferdinand. it seemed like a brief mistaken detour towards garage rock and then it became this full blown corporate indie plague. my theory on this is that it was a regressive step that had a lot to do greater cultural anxiety relating to 9/11 iraq etc. - something seemed that seemed to call for a step backwards - no more angry music on the radio. i'm half way through a long blog post trying to elaborate on this connection, remember ratm being banned from certain radio stations due to 9/11? no more angry/modern music allowed in bushs america. at best you could get away with emo which stripped down the anger and replaced it with self pity and sadness (but still some sort of life), sadly it eventually morphed into this kinda mcr conservative angry at nothing type stuff.

look back on nu metal now - some of it is ridiculous but dammit was it headin in the right direction - there was elements of hip hop/electronica/metal/punk etc. all mixed together - but crucially it couldn't be said to belong to any of those genres and didn't try to self concioussly perfect a niche within them. it was music that wasn't afraid of the future and didn't try to take any steps back. and it seemed more open to expressing stuff beyond raw angst. i can remember being like 13 and seeing bands like the strokes and the white stripes start to get big and being like WHAT THE FUCK - it felt like everything was going in the wrong direction. remember when slipknot got to number 1? how could anything like that happen now.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2010, 07:16 AM   #35
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
This and Life Is Peachy (my personal favorite) don't really have that "nu-metal" sound to 'em. They're not fucking Coal Chamber for fuck's sake. They just sound like extremely interesting rock music to me. Almost tribal in a sense. I can easily picture Crono and Marle dancing to it...if ya'lls be hip enough to know what I mean.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2010, 07:26 AM   #36
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Actually, n'ik, slipknot's "all hope is lost" was # 1, and that came out like 2 years ago. Spot on with everything else you said, though... The White Stripes in particular are one of the worst bands to ever exist.

Old 02.24.2010, 07:26 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha, Crono and Marle! I love that part of the game, dancing to the caveman music..

Old 02.24.2010, 07:29 AM   #38
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
really? wow. what i meant was kinda the culutural zietgeist at the time - i'm sure a lot of it is my own bais because back then i was young and more immersed in a certain side of mainstream music. but at the same time there was definitely anger and certain attiudes in the nu metal of the time that you won't see in popular music now. anyway i need to research it more and work on the blog post.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2010, 07:36 AM   #39
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Slipknot's "All Hope Is Gone" couldn't ring any truer, concerning my feelings towards the band.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2010, 07:43 AM   #40
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

That album was alright, better than Subliminal Verses at least.

S/T is a masterpiece.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth