Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Os Mutantes
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.21.2011, 08:08 PM   #101
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
i'm neither and i cried
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2011, 08:14 PM   #102
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
I'm both and you can't offend me.

That's good- I don't want to.

You are correct that aside from my friend, and what she has told me, I am ignorant about Brazil, almost completely. I'm not an ignorant person, though. Also, I hate internet fighting more than anything (mostly because it's, like, the dumbest activity a human being can engage in). So, all's well I suppose.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2011, 08:50 PM   #103
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
I don't fight, I discuss.
People are often too defensive and take everything personally, but that's not my problem.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2011, 12:34 AM   #104
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
ethiopiques compilations don't really have much in common with os mutantes.

i'd put the artists on ethiopiques more in the jazz in and soul spectrum, where as os mutantes are pretty beatles

the only thing it really shows is that other people are openminded to music and anglos aren't

and that's why we have to listen to lady gaga and fleet foxes.
I didnīt say Ethiopiques-compilations is like Os Mutantes, just said the creative period was also in Ethiopia that time.

But in the other hand, to me Os mutantes really donīt sound like the Beatles. Iīm not Mutentes-expert, but I think in their music has a lot latino-influences. Also sixties-seventies Ethiopian music is a unique mixture of soul-jazz and traditional Ethiopian music influences. And the greatest instrumental music maker Mulatu Astatke also studied in USA and got there latino-influences to his music as you can hear it here (this song is in the Jim Jarmusch-movie Broken Flowers):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdFis...eature=related

And I think this is also not so far from psychedelia (by the way there is Finnish musician playing flute-solo, he just happend to be in Addis Abeba that time):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zfhn6eDbAI

Hereīs also few Finnish pearls from that time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuqOwIiJ22w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt03LBBRAAM

If you DeadDisco want to hear those Ethiopiques-compilations, I think you can start from Ethiopiques 13 and 4. 1 and 3 are also very good.

Nuggets II 4cd-box is also a great proof to that creative period happened all over the world. Although many bands there are from Europe, there is also bands from Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Peru and from Brazil (suprise,suprise) Os Mutantes! I think the reason why there isnīt more interesting band outside Europe is that the makers of that compilation have wanted put there only english-singing bands (Os Mutantes is only exception and their song is Bat Macumba where is no other words than Bat Macumba).
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2011, 02:44 PM   #105
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
I don't fight, I discuss.
People are often too defensive and take everything personally, but that's not my problem.

Agreed.

I hate it when I say "I hate (insert name of book, band, movie here)" and someone else says "I hate you".

It's absurd.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth