Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.14.2016, 08:06 AM   #48341
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Seriously, has anyone listened to this? It's not all bangers, but THIS for instance is one of the most jubilant dance songs you've heard since Daft Punk was still in their heyday.

Fucking jubilant I tells ya.

I did not like this track either. not my cup of tea. it does have that take on late 70ties blurred funk/disco a la Daft Punk style though. speaking about electronic music genres, I like them so much, but more of contemporary, experimental and dark stuff, yeah and would be lying if I say I don't like some classics as well of course.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2016, 11:20 AM   #48342
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
I did not like this track either. not my cup of tea. it does have that take on late 70ties blurred funk/disco a la Daft Punk style though. speaking about electronic music genres, I like them so much, but more of contemporary, experimental and dark stuff, yeah and would be lying if I say I don't like some classics as well of course.

I understand. Thanks for listening.

He's no DJ Koze, but Kornél Kovács is a colleague of Axel Boman's, and he's learning. I didn't expect to like his album as much as I do (it takes some balls to name your first album after a track as iconic and epoch-making as Jeff Mills' "the Bells"), but it mixes a few of my choice sounds — namely, exuberant, nostalgic '90s house, and the off-beat whimsy of Koze's Pampa imprint, which has produced some of the weirdes and warmest techno of the decade. I see some room for improvement, but it's a promising debut for sure.

Anyway you say you like electronic music with a darker tone. Maybe this is a dumb or obvious question, but have you listened to Nicolas Jaar's SIRENS yet?

Certainly my favorite electronic release of the year, and it's only "electronic" out of categorical necessity. A lot of the album pulls directly from post-punk and no wave... there's a great deal of unsampled vocal "singing" (often monotone talk/singing over a beat a la Alan Vega) and it even breaks out into full on soul at the end, complete with live instrumentation. If you haven't already listened to it, I highly recommend it. Jaar is quickly becoming one of the most reliable artists in music, and I think SIRENS is actually better as an album than Space is Only Noise, even if that record was longer and offered slightly more bang for your buck.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2016, 12:12 PM   #48343
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
But I like to pretend they broke up somewhere around that fateful '03 show.

I completely view them the same way. And I think it's a very fair mindset, honestly. MM was never the same band at all after Jeremiah's departure, even if just temporary. And yes, something "off" was already happening in the chemistry just before that.

I will always claim that Eric Judy's bass playing is some of the most underrated in all of music. He always has and always will be one of my favorites.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2016, 12:26 PM   #48344
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpuff
I completely view them the same way. And I think it's a very fair mindset, honestly. MM was never the same band at all after Jeremiah's departure, even if just temporary. And yes, something "off" was already happening in the chemistry just before that.

I will always claim that Eric Judy's bass playing is some of the most underrated in all of music. He always has and always will be one of my favorites.

Oh shit, I agree! And Brock's guitar work was excellent. He played very well, like a self-taught, Saint-influenced Doug Martsch with no interest in heroics. He was one of the few people in the late '90s indie who made interesting guitar sounds.
Judy was an is a great player. They were tremendous early on, and they brought things to a boil on Lonesome Crowded West, which is really one of the darkest and most intense albums of its time.

But that band died. I used to love them with an almost Sonic Youth-like intensity. Now I mourn them when I think of them at all. But none of that changes the strength of their early output.
Old 12.14.2016, 03:04 PM   #48345
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Anyway you say you like electronic music with a darker tone. Maybe this is a dumb or obvious question, but have you listened to Nicolas Jaar's SIRENS yet?

cheers. checking out. give me a moment. #edit# listening to first track. I like it. really nice, but not dark enough, hahaha. no it is good.

by the way, new Porter Ricks EP - Shadow Boat release on Tresor after 17 years on hiatus is my todays sweet find. can't wait to blast Harbour Chart track via my new monitors I am getting for xmas. going straight into my new mix. check out this track. dark-ish vibe... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuRn-IJPZTk

by the way are we going to make top 10 or top 20 album of the year 2016 thread?

here are Fact Mag lists:
top 20 house and techno tracks of 2016
http://www.factmag.com/2016/12/12/be...o-tracks-2016/

top 50 albums of 2016
http://www.factmag.com/2016/12/13/best-albums-of-2016/

20 best Bandcamp releases
http://www.factmag.com/2016/12/11/th...eases-of-2016/

top 20 Grime and UK rap tracks
http://www.factmag.com/2016/12/04/be...p-tracks-2016/

top 25 club tracks of 2016
http://www.factmag.com/2016/12/03/be...-astral-plane/

Pitchfork's top 50 of 2016
http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-...d=yim2016-menu

one of my fav. list for a last couple of years. Anti Gravity Bunny's top 30 DRONE RECORDS of 2016
http://antigravitybunny.com/?p=10849

just realizing how much of it I haven't heard.

post another links to top whatever of 2016, if you have any.

I would love to see Wire's mag top of 2016 list. anyone?

Old 12.14.2016, 03:49 PM   #48346
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2016, 06:38 PM   #48347
Severian
invito al cielo

^^ Thought Forms!

This album has very recently become a favorite of mine this year. I didn't even know it was out until a month after it was released. Pretty goddamn glorious though. And that artwork... incredible.
Old 12.14.2016, 06:49 PM   #48348
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
cheers. checking out. give me a moment. #edit# listening to first track. I like it. really nice, but not dark enough, hahaha. no it is good.

by the way, new Porter Ricks EP - Shadow Boat release on Tresor after 17 years on hiatus is my todays sweet find. can't wait to blast Harbour Chart track via my new monitors I am getting for xmas. going straight into my new mix. check out this track. dark-ish vibe... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuRn-IJPZTk

by the way are we going to make top 10 or top 20 album of the year 2016 thread?

here are Fact Mag lists:
top 20 house and techno tracks of 2016
http://www.factmag.com/2016/12/12/be...o-tracks-2016/

top 50 albums of 2016
http://www.factmag.com/2016/12/13/best-albums-of-2016/

20 best Bandcamp releases
http://www.factmag.com/2016/12/11/th...eases-of-2016/

top 20 Grime and UK rap tracks
http://www.factmag.com/2016/12/04/be...p-tracks-2016/

top 25 club tracks of 2016
http://www.factmag.com/2016/12/03/be...-astral-plane/

Pitchfork's top 50 of 2016
http://pitchfork.com/features/lists-...d=yim2016-menu

one of my fav. list for a last couple of years. Anti Gravity Bunny's top 30 DRONE RECORDS of 2016
http://antigravitybunny.com/?p=10849

just realizing how much of it I haven't heard.

post another links to top whatever of 2016, if you have any.

I would love to see Wire's mag top of 2016 list. anyone?

Hmm... Fact mag has a lot f super poppy shit for a list that starts with a line as pretentious as "No Frank Ocean, No James Blake, No Radiohead."
But yes Rihanna, yes Beyoncé, yes Lil Uzi Vert and yes Kanye (thank god), but OMG we're soooo anti-estab!

I laughed out loud at that shit. What butt wankery! And they missed a lot (LOT) of albums that they wouldn't missed if they were as cool as they think

Uhh, to answer your question, I've been thinking about making a thread, but I'm worried nobody will give a shit. Also, I haven't completed my lists yet. I'm not going to try a top 50 like I have previously. Fuck that noise. Also, I don't think I bought 50 new albums this year (which is weird for me, I gotta say)... but I will do a top 10 albums, top 10 hip-hop, top 10 electronic and top 10 songs probably. Just not sure when. If someone else makes a thread first I won't be mad. Though I do love lists.
Old 12.14.2016, 07:46 PM   #48349
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hmm... Fact mag has a lot f super poppy shit for a list that starts with a line as pretentious as "No Frank Ocean, No James Blake, No Radiohead."
But yes Rihanna, yes Beyoncé, yes Lil Uzi Vert and yes Kanye (thank god), but OMG we're soooo anti-estab!.

weird, cause that kind of wankery seems right up your alley.

ha! sorry man, I like fucking wit you.

things like that like to define a certain listening habit that tries to define a group of people that don't exist or make up a small percentage. this Fact Mag has an agenda and why should I tell you that? they'll tell you "so and so is innovative and is on the fringes of art pop and giving you an orgasm. you should listen to the music bizz, producers and fuck all that old shit because we rule".... no you don't have to listen to shit, yr old and they're old and out of style already. it doesn't make a goddamn.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.14.2016, 08:07 PM   #48350
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
I also been reading the last two pages of the hip hop thread here. and so, if Rob doesn't like Kanye then he doesn't like Kanye. so sick of people justifying their comments based on some 'we or they should like it' because "they" think its innovated in 2016. who give a fucking shit!!! music shouldn't be innovated for somebody to love or hate it. such a crap comment.

"dude but, he makes such revolutionary music". eh!, go fuck yrself!!
Old 12.14.2016, 08:27 PM   #48351
pepper_green
Banned

really, Kanye !?! do I have to wait another 15 years to hear guitar feedback and noise in it's purist form in mainstream hip hop? or drone hip hop in one of his songs or others? what if he really did ad libbed a 15 minute track saying nothing but banging and improvising without the laziness along to it? what about wild primitive therapy screams on sickly beats releasing something powerful?

Pablo is weak. should be at the bottom of list of hip hop album.

hip hop is far from innovated. I wish it was but , its unsatisfying bullshit!
Old 12.14.2016, 11:32 PM   #48352
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
I also been reading the last two pages of the hip hop thread here. and so, if Rob doesn't like Kanye then he doesn't like Kanye. so sick of people justifying their comments based on some 'we or they should like it' because "they" think its innovated in 2016. who give a fucking shit!!! music shouldn't be innovated for somebody to love or hate it. such a crap comment.

"dude but, he makes such revolutionary music". eh!, go fuck yrself!!

I'm not saying Rob should like Kanye. I'm saying he talks shit about Kanye's teeth/mental health/weight/marriage and writes off the music based on that shallow rubbish. I'm saying it's stupid to actively hate a musician for reasons that have nothing to do with their music.

Rob talks a ton of shit very deliberately and he gets shit from people as a result.
Old 12.15.2016, 04:39 PM   #48353
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Fact mag has a lot f super poppy shit for a list that starts with a line as pretentious as "No Frank Ocean, No James Blake, No Radiohead."
But yes Rihanna, yes Beyoncé, yes Lil Uzi Vert and yes Kanye (thank god), but OMG we're soooo anti-estab!

I laughed out loud at that shit.

I know..
same here..

Old 12.16.2016, 08:24 AM   #48354
Severian
invito al cielo

Fuckin' aces.
Old 12.16.2016, 09:26 AM   #48355
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I know..
same here..

Oh good, because I think pepepr_green misunderstood what I was saying.

I didn't mean Frank Ocean, James Blake and Radiohead are lame (though I do kinda think James Blake is overrated, and I think Radiohead is more or less done being anything more than "pretty good" at best)... I meant, what's the fucking point of declaring your "anti-establishment," "fuck you, mainstream!" cred with an opening statement as audacious as that when you're still going to fill your list with artists that are of the exact same, if not greater, trad-pop critic bait?

Nothing against Rihanna or Beyoncé... definitely nothing against Kanye, but it's just fucking absurd to make such a high and mighty statement of intent to set yourself apart from the crowd, only to praise the hell out of a bunch of artists that are every bit as ubiquitous in pop culture as those that were dissed in that abismal, preposterous lead.

Also... Maybe Radiohead didn't do their best work this year (ok, definitely... they definitely didn't) and maybe James Blake is meh, but Frank Ocean's Blonde is one of the straight up weirdest pop albums in ages. It's weird AF. Hard to listen to at times with all its micro-songs, spoken word interludes, blips and bleeps of noise and screaming, interspersed with beautiful songs. So, I'd say Blonde is downright punk compared to Lemonade, which is the year's biggest piece of over the top critic candy (despite some great songs).

It's like saying "No Good Will Hunting or Fargo here... we're too cool for that. But Titanic? Shit yeah!"
Old 12.16.2016, 09:32 AM   #48356
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Pablo is weak. should be at the bottom of list of hip hop album.

And yet, it's one of the highest, if not THE highest ranked hip-hop album on pretty much every list. Outperforming not only the year's hip-hop releases, but many of the year's most praised albums in any genre.

Sooo... have fun with that.
Old 12.17.2016, 06:23 AM   #48357
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I laughed out loud at that shit. What butt wankery! And they missed a lot (LOT) of albums that they wouldn't missed if they were as cool as they think

I don't exactly think that's the point obviously, haven't taken a look at the list as I couldn't really care about them but I'm not entirely sure that those three are particularly illuminating as to what the world's going through right now, I'm not trying to undermine what value they might have but I'm not sure of their resonance if that makes sense? I think the nature of the world right now is going to create some shifts in that respect, that music will drift away from this inward indulgence (again no comment on the validity thereof) and start seeking to create something more communicable??

(jacques brodier - xhos de villemahu)

(kaneko jutok & kudo tori - duo live)

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2016, 10:51 AM   #48358
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest

Holy shit this is really fucking interesting. I don't believe I've ever heard this artist before, but I am definitely digging this.
Old 12.18.2016, 10:34 PM   #48359
pepper_green
Banned

Quote:
And yet, it's one of the highest, if not THE highest ranked hip-hop album on pretty much every list. Outperforming not only the year's hip-hop releases, but many of the year's most praised albums in any genre.

Sooo... have fun with that.

have fun with creating yr irrelevant stupid best of 2016 list.
Old 12.18.2016, 10:41 PM   #48360
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have fun with creating yr irrelevant stupid best of 2016 list.

You do? That pleases me, as little sense as it makes. Stay positive son. You'll make it someday or not.
1918231823682408241524162417 2418 241924202421242824682518 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth