Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page CD vs Vinyl
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which format do you prefer???
CD 25 40.98%
Vinyl 36 59.02%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03.10.2009, 03:00 PM   #81
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
and the whole thing of obsessive care of vinyl is kind of the point. Vinyl colectors nowawdays are archivists really, unlike people in the old days wh bought records and listened to them and treated them as shittily as people nowadays treat CD's. (playing them with an ancient crusty needle, stacking up 7" singles or records without their sleeves, throwing them around, etc.)

I treat my vinyl recordss like bits of archeology. I take great care with them, keep them from direct sun, no heat, no humidity. I never stack them, only have them on their sides on shelves. I woul do the same for old books, or artworks.
CD's however, I could care less, and a digital file that can get completely erased if you happen to walk by a powerful electromagnet? shiiiiiiiit.

yeah i do the same, but i do the same with cds too. i try to keep all of my cds in great shape. even though i tend to drop the cases from time to time. i just try to keep everything i own in great shape though.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2009, 03:31 PM   #82
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I love how so many CD manufacturers are now selling them in paper/cardboard sleeves. the "jewel case" is such a fucking joke.
Old 03.10.2009, 03:40 PM   #83
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I love browsing.

plus the smell. I love the smell of records and books.

I could live in a tiny place as long as my books and records were there.

This is after my own heart too

I tend to buy more CDs than vinyl (due to availability of stuff - ie. many releases I buy are CD-only, alas), but I do loves me still a decent vinyl release. If nothing else, the artwork on vinyl kills that of CDs everytime, I think.

On the vinyl fidelity point, I've bought some vinyl whose pressing quality is staggeringly crap (I'm thinking here in particular of some of those ESP-Disk vinyls bootlegged by Base Records), and vinyl which sounds so fucking good it's incredible...mind you, I've never been insane/dedicated enough to buy a lathe-cut records. This will piss off some people, I know, but I do contend that the CD format is actually pretty spot on for some musics (classical, power electronics, "drone" being some examples that come to mind). What do others think on this point?
Old 03.10.2009, 05:36 PM   #84
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
^ i agree with drone/power electronics and i'd add ambient to that list of things i prefer on cd. basically because of the long form style of these types of music. it kills the vibe to have a fade out at the end of one side, flip it and resume droning away. i bought earth 2 on vinyl like an idiot and that was my lesson.
Old 03.10.2009, 06:40 PM   #85
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
mp3s sound like crap, CDs are flimsy and degrade naturally over time, tapes get chewed up and worn out, vinyl can't be played in a walkman or a car and is generally a hassle.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2009, 06:42 PM   #86
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
mp3s sound like crap, CDs are flimsy and degrade naturally over time, tapes get chewed up and worn out, vinyl can't be played in a walkman or a car and is generally a hassle.

and live musicians don't fit in your pocket, it sounds like you prefer fundamentalist islamic music (ie, none at all)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2009, 06:47 PM   #87
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
all formats are rubbish, use whichever suits the occasion best and bloody get on with it
Old 03.10.2009, 07:07 PM   #88
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
This will piss off some people, I know, but I do contend that the CD format is actually pretty spot on for some musics (classical, power electronics, "drone" being some examples that come to mind). What do others think on this point?

I would definately leave classical off of that list. Current digital recording technologies do not have large enough sampling rates to enable the full range of frequency harmonics to make it onto the recordings. I'm talking frequencies we can't hear with our ears, however these harmonics do effect the frequencies in the human hearing range. CD's and other digital media are not able as of yet to produce this quality that analog systems can. Sony are coming close with their newer digital recording formats with a 2.4 ghz sampling rate, however this is incredibly expensinve and hardly any studios have taken it up.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.10.2009, 10:47 PM   #89
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
all formats are rubbish, use whichever suits the occasion best and bloody get on with it

Oh bloody blokin' limey hell, wot.
Old 03.11.2009, 01:00 AM   #90
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hurrah 8-track!!
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 07:29 AM   #91
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
I would definately leave classical off of that list. Current digital recording technologies do not have large enough sampling rates to enable the full range of frequency harmonics to make it onto the recordings. I'm talking frequencies we can't hear with our ears, however these harmonics do effect the frequencies in the human hearing range. CD's and other digital media are not able as of yet to produce this quality that analog systems can. Sony are coming close with their newer digital recording formats with a 2.4 ghz sampling rate, however this is incredibly expensinve and hardly any studios have taken it up.

sexy post.
Old 03.11.2009, 07:50 AM   #92
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Oh bloody blokin' limey hell, wot.

I need to teach you how to insult those english more effectively.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 08:04 AM   #93
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Please.
Old 03.11.2009, 08:39 AM   #94
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
he he
Old 03.11.2009, 01:42 PM   #95
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

"Please Hitler, please continuing raping me in front of my darling Vespa. Mamma Mia I've got a problem with organised crime and no morals about fucking EVERYTHING".

This post brought to you by the international centre for national stereotypes (i.e., my house).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 02:12 PM   #96
sarramkrop

Sure you make a big fuss about war issues, considering that if it wasn't for the yanks saving your ASS like anyone with a knowledge of history could tell, you wouldn't even have the time in the world to think about national stereotypes. Erm, back to snogging children outside the school now, you need to catch up on modern day morality.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 02:15 PM   #97
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Select your translation method.
Translate From... English to Chinese English to Dutch English to French English to German English to Italian English to Japanese English to Korean English to Portuguese English to Russian English to Spanish Chinese to English Dutch to English French to English German to English Italian to English Japanese to English Korean to English Portuguese to English Russian to English Spanish to English

Localization:
American English
British English

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 03:06 PM   #98
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sure you make a big fuss about war issues, considering that if it wasn't for the yanks saving your ASS like anyone with a knowledge of history could tell, you wouldn't even have the time in the world to think about national stereotypes. Erm, back to snogging children outside the school now, you need to catch up on modern day morality.

Defending the Johnny-come-latelys? Unspurprising, given your lot seemed to invent the idea of it actually being an insult to ask for food to be delivered within 6 or 7 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.11.2009, 08:04 PM   #99
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Defending the Johnny-come-latelys? Unspurprising, given your lot seemed to invent the idea of it actually being an insult to ask for food to be delivered within 6 or 7 hours.

Funny that an Italian would bring up WWII
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Compass
Old 03.12.2009, 02:23 AM   #100
sarramkrop

I think it's not funny at all. I find it more funny that an English generally makes it sound like England won the war by themselves, when if it's obvious you haven't. You would have never been able to, even though you go on about it like that's the case.
Being YOU who say that, it's not surprising. Also, wasn't Glice the one who made references to war issues first? Toilet & Bowels feeling a bit touchy-feely?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth