Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page How/Why did Bob Bert leave the band?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.20.2006, 01:00 PM   #1
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
I don't have my copy of "Our Band Could Be Your Life" so I can't look it up. Anyone care to explain?
Old 04.20.2006, 02:05 PM   #2
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
He wasn't into group masturbation.
Old 04.20.2006, 03:03 PM   #3
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
BOB BERT LEFT SONIC YOU?!!! WHEN??!!!

i can't wait for their new album, i love the title: EVOL
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:06 PM   #4
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
He was originally booted cuz they thought he wasn't that great of a drummer. I don't remember why he was out the second time when Steve took over.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:11 PM   #5
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
hmmm....I would like to know why he left too(even though I love steve way more!). I know it's wasn't a bitter split, because bob still stayed friends with them when he was in pussy galore, in fact pussy galore was the first western band to see the boredoms, and supposedly bob wrote a letter to SY telling them how awsome the boredoms were.

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:19 PM   #6
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOUT
He was originally booted cuz they thought he wasn't that great of a drummer.

Yeah. In Our Band Could Be Your Life, it quotes Thurston saying his drumming wasn't "in the pocket".

The 2nd time, it says he just wanted to quit.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:26 PM   #7
skipvacuum
stalker

skipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's asses
actually...straight from bob bert's mouth...he quit cuz they kicked him out the first time...oddly enough he sated this in the "put blood in the music" doc..,but the version floating around torrent land omits it for some reason...i should dig my ol' vid out and see if can upload it somewhere...cuz it's funny
skipvacuum is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:34 PM   #8
Pablitzen
the destroyed room

Pablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to beholdPablitzen is a splendid one to behold
wikipedia says:
Bob Bert quit the group because he was dissatisfied with the lack of financial success of SY

that sounds weird...
Old 04.20.2006, 03:36 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
Yeah. In Our Band Could Be Your Life, it quotes Thurston saying his drumming wasn't "in the pocket"...

first off, thurston didn't mean that "in the pocket" comment to be like "he's a bad drummer"; he was referring as how the band wanted a squarer-much more rock 4/4 beats drummer than someone with tendencies to do more abstract and tribal stuff with the drums (as heard on bad moon rising)

second of all, our band could be your life is not the bible
Old 04.20.2006, 03:38 PM   #10
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
second of all, our band could be your life is not the bible

I never said it was the bible.. I was just quoting it hoping to answer the guy's question...
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 03:41 PM   #11
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
I never said it was the bible.. I was just quoting it hoping to answer the guy's question...

it wasn't directed at you, man

i just don't trust that book that much
Old 04.20.2006, 04:11 PM   #12
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Bob Bert is probably regretting leaving now that Sonic Youth is all over MTV and the radio and shit.
Old 04.20.2006, 04:16 PM   #13
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
I wish they were all over MTV and that William Burroughs books were at every newstand and that there was no war and that I was press secretary for a smart and just president....
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 04:17 PM   #14
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
I wish they were all over MTV and that William Burroughs books were at every newstand and that there was no war and that I was press secretary for a smart and just president....

I dunno where you live but SY is pretty much the hot new shit here. MCR and SY are playing a show together and Thurston started wearing all black and making this really annoying screaming noise. Steve got a double-bass kick.

They are hot shit.
Old 04.20.2006, 04:22 PM   #15
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Oh gosh My Chem Romance has gotten big enough to have initials? Geez.
Um yeah. I hear that SY's arena tour will consist of David Bowie opening each show with a tap dance number and that most politicians were quoting from Daydream Nation on CSPAN today....

sOnIc wOrLd BaBE
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 05:36 PM   #16
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
bob bert was originally asked to leave before the recording of confusion which jim sclavunos (now a bad seed) steeped in and played on most of the album. js didn't want to tour so bob was asked back. they recorded badmoon and toured and bob left after the tour. then the only drummer capable of taking sonic youth where they needed to be was asked to join and we all know who that is.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 06:20 PM   #17
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
bob bert was originally asked to leave before the recording of confusion which jim sclavunos (now a bad seed) steeped in and played on most of the album. js didn't want to tour so bob was asked back. they recorded badmoon and toured and bob left after the tour. then the only drummer capable of taking sonic youth where they needed to be was asked to join and we all know who that is.

no, who?
Old 04.20.2006, 06:40 PM   #18
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
OT

Could SY have found a better drummer than Steve? Seriously...he compliments the group completely. I'm no drummer but I can play a basic 4/4 beat...yet to fill in the noise segments of SY songs, I think Steve is amazing. Not a super-technical drummer, but he knows what fits. And now that the Youth have ventured into pop-rock territory, he's even more fitting.
Old 04.20.2006, 09:21 PM   #19
guston
little trouble girl

guston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's assesguston kicks all y'all's asses
Bob Bert quit after Bad Moon because SY was not making enough money. He needed some "real world cash". Perhaps he regrets quitting, who knows. All I know is that Steve Shelley is a much better drummer and I am all the happier for Bert leaving.
guston is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2006, 09:40 PM   #20
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
bob wasn't up for anal.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth