Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.12.2019, 03:43 PM   #23301
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
I really liked Last Jedi. It wasn't perfect, but I appreciated that it dared to go all out in terms of the lore and the visual presentation. I found The Force Awakens to be far too drab and lifeless in its appearance. And I liked how Last Jedi tackled the legacy of the Jedi and the whole "chosen one" trope. It was a breath of fresh air.

Sure, the whole Canto Bight escapade was really unnecessary and sort of tacked on. And sure, there were some tonal discrepancies here and there (as mentioned before, that awful Leia scene, Poe's lighthearted quips in the face of a massive threat, etc.), but damn it at least dared to mix things up a bit. Its direct predecessor was competently made and had its perks, but didn't really bring anything new to the table. Also: I found it very unimaginative visually speaking and that's something I do care a whole lot about in Star Wars movies.

This one however did attempt to add a few new perspectives in terms of the lore. Whether or not it succeeded is up to each individual viewer of course - I thought it did. Hamill's performance was also very intriguing I'd say. And damn, there were some nice setpieces in there (Not talking about Canto-Bight though, that certainly was a sterile version of the Cantina) . Wouldn't say it's quite as good as A New Hope or Empire, but for me it's certainly up there with Return Of The Jedi (which was also uneven but enjoyable nonetheless), if not a step above.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2019, 08:51 PM   #23302
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Force Awakens was flawed in the fact that it played everything too safe. A re-skinned version of A New Hope for modern tastes.

Last Jedi tore all expectations and franchise conventions a new asshole and was shunned for it

Just like Empire, it will be remembered insanely fondly with time. Hopefully the 3rd in the new trilogy isn't some cookie cutter bs.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2019, 08:54 PM   #23303
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
really? i loved the beginning but eventually felt it was too much a disney “lesson” movie
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2019, 08:56 PM   #23304
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
anyway, about to start a rewatch of this fine classic

whoa there! clop clop clop clop
who goes there?
it is i, arthur, son of uther pendragon... etc etc
Old 01.12.2019, 10:12 PM   #23305
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Bravely bold Sir Robin
Rode forth from Camelot.
He was not afraid to die,
Oh brave Sir Robin.
He was not at all afraid
To be killed in nasty ways.
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin.
He was not in the least bit scared
To be mashed into a pulp.
Or to have his eyes gouged out,
And his elbows broken.
To have his kneecaps split
And his body burned away,
And his limbs all hacked and mangled
Brave Sir Robin.
His head smashed in
And his heart cut out
And his liver removed
And his bowls unplugged
And his nostrils raped
And his bottom burnt off
And his penis
"That's, that's enough music for now lads, there's dirty work afoot."
Brave Sir Robin ran away.
("No!")
Bravely ran away away.
("I didn't!")
When danger reared it's ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
("I never!")
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
("You're lying!")
Swiftly taking to his feet,
He beat a very brave retreat.
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!
Old 01.13.2019, 10:22 AM   #23306
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Force Awakens was flawed in the fact that it played everything too safe. A re-skinned version of A New Hope for modern tastes.

Last Jedi tore all expectations and franchise conventions a new asshole and was shunned for it

Just like Empire, it will be remembered insanely fondly with time. Hopefully the 3rd in the new trilogy isn't some cookie cutter bs.

Well, I was pretty blown away by The Force Awakens because after 30 years or whatever, I finally felt like Star Wars was back, and that there was some wonder to be seen and felt through those familiar places and tropes again.

TFA did take some chances, I think. The battle in the snow was beautiful and stuck with me. I was not expecting certain things to happen that totally happened.

And Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren — instead of just being another Vader — brought a Shakespearean level of tragedy to the character and the series, and was both more terrifying and more appealing than Vader ever was to me.

But yes, it was “A New Hope Again Sometime Later,” but that’s kind of in keeping with the whole “nothing ever ends” idea of the hero’s journey as an archetype.

Docked a few points for being basically the same plot as the original SW, but have to add about a hundred points for being a better movie than that movie (sorry!).

Though yes, Last Jedi was more interesting and it’s HILARIOUS how mad people got about it. Hahahahaha. Meanwhile it’s got like a 95% Rotten Tomatoes score (not that that means anything), but fanboys and Gamergate/Comicsgate types are a sensitive bunch despite how much they love to accuse others of being too sensitive.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2019, 10:24 AM   #23307
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
But what do I know?

I liked Solo: A Star Wars story much more than I liked Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Fun caper craziness. Lovely effects. Donald Glover am his android lover (who might have been a big walking stereotype, but still weird and fun).
Old 01.13.2019, 10:26 AM   #23308
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
Bravely bold Sir Robin
Rode forth from Camelot.
He was not afraid to die,
Oh brave Sir Robin.
He was not at all afraid
To be killed in nasty ways.
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin.
He was not in the least bit scared
To be mashed into a pulp.
Or to have his eyes gouged out,
And his elbows broken.
To have his kneecaps split
And his body burned away,
And his limbs all hacked and mangled
Brave Sir Robin.
His head smashed in
And his heart cut out
And his liver removed
And his bowls unplugged
And his nostrils raped
And his bottom burnt off
And his penis
"That's, that's enough music for now lads, there's dirty work afoot."
Brave Sir Robin ran away.

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA
Old 01.13.2019, 11:04 AM   #23309
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Enjoyed watching Pony & Choc getting down
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2019, 06:34 PM   #23310
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

half-watched with one eye that hand solo movie

seemed entertaining with a lot of racecar action and no mystical new age force bullshit

ofc it's a ron howard movie. troma graduate.

khaleesi was hot as usual but ah i prefer killer android thandie newton yep

as for the male cast i found zombieland man the most entertaining

so hm er yeah movie seemed okay action flick from afar
Old 01.13.2019, 08:19 PM   #23311
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
half-watched with one eye that hand solo movie

seemed entertaining with a lot of racecar action and no mystical new age force bullshit

ofc it's a ron howard movie. troma graduate.

khaleesi was hot as usual but ah i prefer killer android thandie newton yep

Westworld the series > Game of Thrones the series
Old 01.13.2019, 08:30 PM   #23312
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Westworld the series > Game of Thrones the series
i dont know yet i only watched the early parts please say nothing hahahaha

gonna rent hobo when gaymotron last season comes out but wetware im way farther behind

eta: daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn....

Old 01.16.2019, 02:29 PM   #23313
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

I actually remember enjoying this when it came out. Needless to say, I'm not 9 years old anymore, and my tastes have thankfully grown a little since. I'm not above Martin Lawrence comedies but man is this one a one note joke that runs itself I to the ground rather quickly. They never get very creative w the subject matter either. Fun to see Paul Giamatti play Martin's FBI partner though.

Stick to Rush Hour or Eddie Murphy's Nutty Professor remake for these types of gags done right. Hell, I'm scared to revisit Blue Streak or Black Knight now.
Old 01.16.2019, 02:32 PM   #23314
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
But what do I know?

I liked Solo: A Star Wars story much more than I liked Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

Fun caper craziness. Lovely effects. Donald Glover am his android lover (who might have been a big walking stereotype, but still weird and fun).

I still need to watch this. Maybe tonight after a romp w the lady friend. Saw Solo was on Netflix. I couldnt stand rogue one though, soooooo dull (will probably rewatch also tbh).
Old 01.16.2019, 02:37 PM   #23315
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

But yeah I'm in one hell of a star wars mood. Just found my old vhs tapes of the original trilogy. Might toss them on while cleaning the basement today

Just been very tired lately. Lots of moving shit around ugggghhh and been staying up later than I should for... reasons
Old 01.16.2019, 02:39 PM   #23316
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Just found my old vhs tapes of the original trilogy.

I wish I still had mine. I only have the DVDs now, with all the annoying new FX that Lucas put in.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2019, 02:42 PM   #23317
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I wish I still had mine. I only have the DVDs now, with all the annoying new FX that Lucas put in.

100% certain they released the original pre-special edition as DVDs for a limited time.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2019, 02:53 PM   #23318
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Mine are the 90s special editions, but didn't Lucas add even more to the DVD and blu-ray releases? Like prequel related stuff an Vader's infamous "Noooooo!!!"

?
Old 01.16.2019, 02:57 PM   #23319
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
My dad has both a prequel and original box set on DVD. They have similar boxart, so I'm assuming that they came out about the time of the release of ROTS on DVD
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2019, 03:01 PM   #23320
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

On the special edition VHS for A New Hope, there's an intro segment to the remasters where Lucas explains how they were able to CGI the bottom of the land cruiser car thing on Mos Eisley when Obi Wan and Luke are driving around town, so that it's actually floating... I guess originally he just literally smeared vaseline on the lens to block that part out

I love shit like that. George Lucas earned every ounce of notoriety he obtained from creating this universe. His theory of "films never being finished" is quite interesting. There's merit to the idea of art being ever-evolving, like a living creature rather than some infallible creation. If Godard said it, people would think it was brilliant instead of mocking him and inaccurately accusing him of destroying their childhoods.
666106611161156116311641165 1166 116711681169117612161266 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth