Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.25.2016, 10:19 AM   #20041
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses

Saw this last night finally. It was VERY good.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2016, 10:35 AM   #20042
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
^^ what big story is this?? snowden/nsa?

--

i forgot to mention the other day i rewatched REAR WINDOW

it was great of course, but what i found best about it wasn't the mystery itself-- it was the whole story between grace kelly and jimmy stewart (with commentary + intervention from the nurse) in which context the murder mystery happens-- from their clever banter to the whole "i'll go anywhere" plot-- which was the stuff of comedy, down to the final shot of the movie which says so much and so hilariously about how things turned out. .

so well shot, acted and written... really a perfect movie.

eta: a still

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2016, 10:38 AM   #20043
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I seemed to enjoy BvS more than most... but yes, the huge problem is that it should have been two or three films. Instead it was a mess.

Eh. I think it ultimately should have been zero films. It crapped all over the Batman world that Nolan created by filling it with fantasy and CGI crap. Batman works because he exists on his own, in his own "real world" setting, so well. Same is true of Superman. Mix them together in a film and it just doesn't fucking work. Batman is only really a powerful mythology in a world where "super" stuff doesn't really exist. Superman is a powerful mythology in an entirely different kind of world.

They pulled it off better than I thought they would, and I really enjoyed seeing it in the theatre, but I wish it just hadn't been made.
Old 11.25.2016, 10:43 AM   #20044
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
^^ what big story is this?? snowden/nsa?

--

i forgot to mention the other day i rewatched REAR WINDOW

it was great of course, but what i found best about it wasn't the mystery itself-- it was the whole story between grace kelly and jimmy stewart (with commentary + intervention from the nurse) in which context the murder mystery happens-- from their clever banter to the whole "i'll go anywhere" plot-- which was the stuff of comedy, down to the final shot of the movie which says so much and so hilariously about how things turned out. .

so well shot, acted and written... really a perfect movie.

Spotlight is the story of the Boston Globe's investigative news team breaking the pedo-Priest story back in '01/'02. Won Best Picture for 2015.

I saw The Big Short several months ago, and was wondering how any 2015 movie could or should be considered more relevant. But now I get it. I sill think Big Short was a more clever movie, about an even more imprtant issue, but Spotlight was made for Academy gold. Good ensemble piece. No breakout performances (Bale and Carrell in Bug Short were tremendous) but it was the more well-rounded film.
Old 11.25.2016, 10:59 AM   #20045
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I thought Spotlight was real good in an "old Hollywood" way, and I liked the Big Short despite Steve Carrell. Damn, he's hard to take in anything he's in.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2016, 02:49 PM   #20046
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I picked up the BvS extended cut today...
Old 11.25.2016, 03:10 PM   #20047
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

Jess Eisenberg suffered from Joker syndrome BIG TIME in this movie. But to be fair, that wasn't actually Lex Luthor we were seeing. It was his "son" (re: clone, if they're going by the comics). Though why they decided to make that decision without making it more clear, I will never know. Big ass fuck up. Eisenberg is a good actor too, which made this very sad. He'd earned a few Oscar noms prior to this role, now a lot of people are just sick of him.

The manic villain is really hard to pull off and, if you don't get it just right, can be excruciating. I've no problem with Eisenberg as an actor. I don't even necessarily think he was wrong for the part, it was just a really misguided interpretation. But the scenes right at the end, when he's in prison, if he'd played it more like that from the beginning, it might've worked a lot better.

Another issue was how underused Amy Adams was. Not that she's absent from a lot of the film but her sole point seemed to be just getting Superman to keep moving from location to location so he could save her. And the plot-holes that ensued as a result (if Superman always knew where she was, how come he didn't know where his mother was being kept?)

Also Alfred. I thought Jeremy Irons was great, but treated almost as a footnote.

And then there's the dream sequences!?!
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2016, 04:40 PM   #20048
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The manic villain is really hard to pull off and, if you don't get it just right, can be excruciating. I've no problem with Eisenberg as an actor. I don't even necessarily think he was wrong for the part, it was just a really misguided interpretation. But the scenes right at the end, when he's in prison, if he'd played it more like that from the beginning, it might've worked a lot better.

Another issue was how underused Amy Adams was. Not that she's absent from a lot of the film but her sole point seemed to be just getting Superman to keep moving from location to location so he could save her. And the plot-holes that ensued as a result (if Superman always knew where she was, how come he didn't know where his mother was being kept?)

Also Alfred. I thought Jeremy Irons was great, but treated almost as a footnote.

And then there's the dream sequences!?!

I agree.

Amy Adams is great (and hot af in an apple cheeked, country bumpkin kind of way... sounds awful but really, she feels attainable... and I'm a terrible person), and far too gifted an actress for such a limited role. Ditto Jeremy Irons.

I actually think the cast of Man of Steel was great. BvS too, honestly. But it's just suffering from too much dumbass input.

Also... why wasn't Bryan Cranston tapped as Lex Luther? Man. Seeing him in Breaking Bad made me think that was where he was headed. I can think of a shit TON of other actors who'd do fine in the role as well.

Just... no more. Man of Steel 2 will come out, and if it sucks, then that will be BvS's fault, and I'll have to wait another generation to see Supes on screen.
Old 11.25.2016, 04:42 PM   #20049
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
I thought Spotlight was real good in an "old Hollywood" way, and I liked the Big Short despite Steve Carrell. Damn, he's hard to take in anything he's in.

I thought he was excellent in Big Short. Made me want to see that weird one about the creepy millionaire wrestling coach. Fox-something? Anyway, he's a good actor and he's gonna win an Oscar any day now.
Old 11.25.2016, 05:06 PM   #20050
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
why wasn't Bryan Cranston tapped as Lex Luther?

If you want him a bit serious then hard to argue with that

But if you want it more for laughs ....

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2016, 05:23 PM   #20051
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Haaaaa Haaaaa Haaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 11.25.2016, 05:25 PM   #20052
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

okay but let's not forget that before BB bryan cranston was HILARIOUS in malcolm in the middle. he was also i think both a dentist and a hobo in seinfeld? i forget. but anyway--he can make you piss with laughter if he so chooses.
Old 11.25.2016, 06:36 PM   #20053
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
okay but let's not forget that before BB bryan cranston was HILARIOUS in malcolm in the middle. he was also i think both a dentist and a hobo in seinfeld? i forget. but anyway--he can make you piss with laughter if he so chooses.

I will never... NEVER. forget Bryan Cranston as Hal in Malcolm in the Middle.

One of the great comedic characters of our time. He was far and away the funniest and most brilliant part of that show. Reminds me of my father if my dad was funny and lovestruck and ridiculous instead of an icy and self-serious alcoholic.

He was also great as Tim Watley on Seinfeld, yes. I don't remember the hobo... just the perverted dentist who converted to Judaism for the jokes. Baha!
Old 11.25.2016, 06:42 PM   #20054
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

maybe i misremember the hobo. he used to bring elaine bagels from the dumpster i think. wasn't it early cranston? i forget.

but yes, hal was brilliant. i didn't see every episode of that show but the ones i remember the most either feature him or the german dude who plays the nazi in the producers. when hal becomes a race walker--- ah ha ha ha ha.
Old 11.25.2016, 06:44 PM   #20055
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
he was in the X-files too. playing a hillbilly with a buzzing noise in his head that would explode if he stopped moving. I think he blew his brains out in the end.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2016, 07:57 PM   #20056
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i'm in the middle of watching SHARKNADO

holy fuck -- is it the most terrible thing ever made? YES.

could have been awful-but-entertaining but the acting and cgi are so awful and the story to completely stupid i'm here playing computer games and posting on the internet while the thing plays

but the box office seems to differ... they're already on sharknado 4! lolololol
Old 11.27.2016, 09:01 PM   #20057
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I met Ian Ziering at Comic Con.
Old 11.27.2016, 09:05 PM   #20058
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I met Ian Ziering at Comic Con.
the real one or a cgi version that looked like a blurry mannequin?

--

actually he was the most competent one there-- and the old fat ryan o'neal with mascara that they killed too early

but i couldn't stop saying '90210" in my head

on other issues, WTF happened to tara reid? too much tanning or something?
Old 11.27.2016, 09:19 PM   #20059
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

WTF happened to tara reid? too much tanning or something?

Ha! Answering this succinctly might be beyond the powers of anyone present.

Suffice it to say... a lot.
Old 11.27.2016, 10:36 PM   #20060
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Camp Takota,
In Your Eyes,
Blood Car
503903953993100010011002 1003 100410051006101310531103 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth