Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page guitar speakers question
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.29.2015, 01:58 PM   #1
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
so, i'm gonna built myself a new cabinet (can't be assed to carry around my 4x12 anymore). It'll be a 2x12

I have no clue about speakers, always played celestion 12' (don't actually now which ones).
basically i want it to sound good when played clean and loud, sharp as habanero but also warm like the heart of an artichoke. But also it has to sound good when drenched in fuzz, ayahuasca-yage and psicylobin sweat.

I was thinking that I should go for two different speakers, one for each of these purposes.
but then i'd always have to mic both for concerts and recording?
that's stupid right?

could someone please recommend the the speaker I want.
really don't want to register to one of these gear-people platforms.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2015, 02:07 PM   #2
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah... i play a bassman100 called roberto.
berto's a sweety (he might be a communist though).
Old 01.29.2015, 02:28 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Celestions or peavy blue marvels (my favorite) should do the trick. For a warmer sound choose a heavier wood for your cabinet.. how much you want to spend (it can help narrow down the selection )

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2015, 02:42 PM   #4
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Celestions or blue marvels should do the trick. For a warmer sound choose a heavier wood for your cabinet

yes yes, but, the devil hides in the details, grannie always said.
and my back hurts oh so much

you're the one who likes them pictures, right?

cheers
Old 01.29.2015, 02:59 PM   #5
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
how much you want to spend (it can help narrow down the selection )

Thousands.
Old 01.29.2015, 03:00 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
If you noticed i asked, "how much you want to spend" so we can better sort out those pesky details. And yes, I'm fond of posting obnoxious or snarky pictures ; )

How much specifically on the speakers? The range is $90-$900

Old 01.29.2015, 03:24 PM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Old 01.29.2015, 03:37 PM   #8
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

I'll get 500 euros for the old 4x12, i hope.
for the new cabinet i have connections.
that would leave me with a budget for 250 euros per speaker.
I can barely pay rent though,
so i won't go hunt for a speaker that was produced from a time where i can't remember who was Bundeskanzler.
Old 01.29.2015, 05:01 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

When i get out of work ill post my opinions but for $300ish a piece you can get some great speakers that will be exactly what you're looking for

Old 01.29.2015, 05:11 PM   #10
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
When i get out of work ill post my opinions but for $300ish a piece you can get some great speakers that will be exactly what you're looking for

thanks... that'd be around 260 euros. but probably also it's more expensive here too.
can't spent that much right now.
Old 01.29.2015, 05:42 PM   #11
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
can't spent that much right now.

unless...
nah. more in a price-range under 200 each i think.
Old 01.29.2015, 07:10 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

At that price range you can really take your pick of celestions.. i don't recommend mixing speakers, when going 2x12 a pair is usually better. For the sound you want id go with celestion heritage 12h or the g12m creamback. They are balanced but "hot" enough for more tonal but with more clarity. There is also the Lynchback which is a beast of a speaker with more low end. Since you're concerned about weight you can check the specs but with 2 the inpact will be much less than the 4 your used to lugging around. Also these speakers sound better in open backed cabinet

I prefer the Blue Marvels by Peavey but they have more low end and crunch, especially at a high volume. I think you'd be better suited to the celestians since you've used them before. What celestians do you have in your 4x12 rig?

Also there are many other brands but i only have experience with these two brands.. my fav speakers all time were these beat up "crate customs" but who knows why they sounded so good cuz really everything about crate usually sucks bad. It was in a vintage early 80s 2x12 that waa not widely released

Old 01.29.2015, 07:23 PM   #13
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

thanks for the advice...
have to do more research.
maybe i'll beef it up and make it a 2ohm cabinet. mhh...
Old 01.29.2015, 09:14 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
maybe i'll beef it up and make it a 2ohm cabinet. mhh...

That'd be loud but would it be a bit muddy? Usually with 2x12 you want higher ohms for clarity..

Quote:
have to do more research.

I highly recommend researching which current production amps already include the speakers you're more or less interested in and then going to your local guitar shop and joy riding them to see their sound.

Again, do you know what kind of Celestions you already have?

My gut says that with the sound you've mentioned you're interested in the G12M Creamback as folks have called it the speaker Hendrix would love if he played in the modern era..

Again, I like the Blue Marvels best but I'm into some serious high-gain with clear low end but balanced at loud volumes. Plus they are just some heavy sounding speakers, and I really like my crunch to be heavy.

Old 03.28.2015, 04:51 PM   #15
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
Hi guys, I have built a 2x12 cabinet "fender like".
I bought two Jensen P12R AlNiCo magnet and they sound very good to me.

I have put a switch on the rear of the case that allows to play 1x8ohm or 2x4ohm. You could set the switch even to play in stereo that's very cool with a stereo delay!
Old 03.28.2015, 10:16 PM   #16
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I use 3 85 watt celestions and 1 85 watt Jensen in my 4x12 with a 200 watt head.
It is amazing; a full stack in one cab. Clean headroom to burn.
Use a couple high wattage celestions for a good sounding and hard to blow up 2x12.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2015, 10:28 PM   #17
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
my marshall amp does a funny loud crashing thunder sound when i tilt it back and forth on reverb. my cable has a cut in the cord that makes a fantastic feedback noise. decide to keep it like that now for 5 years. because it's sound cool with my wah and whammy pedal and it disturbs the nieghbors .

thinking about using it to my advantage.
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.05.2015, 11:52 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

The crashing thunder sound is your spring reverb going nuts, i enjoy that effect when shaking up my amp with spring reverb two, especially with delay and high crunch distortion

Old 04.06.2015, 06:38 PM   #19
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
I use 3 85 watt celestions and 1 85 watt Jensen in my 4x12 with a 200 watt head.
It is amazing; a full stack in one cab. Clean headroom to burn.
Use a couple high wattage celestions for a good sounding and hard to blow up 2x12.

why full stack? because of the high wattage?
why do you use celestions and one jensen? do you mic the jensen or one of the celestions for recording and gigs?
how's your back?
i mean it's ok for me if I play gigs with bands and have people to help carrying stuff, but when playing solo or with people in wheelchairs... it's hard to carry a 4x12 cabinet sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by next step
Hi guys, I have built a 2x12 cabinet "fender like".
I bought two Jensen P12R AlNiCo magnet and they sound very good to me.

I have put a switch on the rear of the case that allows to play 1x8ohm or 2x4ohm. You could set the switch even to play in stereo that's very cool with a stereo delay!

why do they sound good too you?
what's that alnico thing they want to all want to sell?
the stereo thing works just with the cab or do you have to mic both of them and put them into different channels on the PA when you play?
how do you do that actually? don't you have to go through your top first? do you have diffent outputs from the top to the speakers for channels?

running a bit tight on the money side.
however, i found two celestion g12T-100watts, a 10" ashdown blueline bassspeaker and and some g12t-75watts in broken amps people forgot at my moms house.
gonna fool around with these a bit.
Old 04.07.2015, 01:33 AM   #20
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah the full stack in one cab is because of the high wattage speakers.
I usually mic the Jensen but don't really have a preference.
I do manual work with furniture for a day job, so moving a 4x12 doesn't really bother me, but that may not be true for some. I am lucky to be pretty strong with a genetically good back. The big amp is not ideal for everyone but still recommend high wattage speakers even in a 2x12 if you get your distortion from pedals rather than turning the amp up. Just makes for fewer problems.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth