Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.30.2013, 03:39 AM   #1401
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Drake's album was such a grower for me. when it just came out i didn't like half of the tracks, but now i like everything except for "From Time" which is really fucking boring, mostly because of Jhene Aiko.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2013, 03:42 AM   #1402
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Rocky says he never heard of Aesop Rock.
yeah the similarity between their names is just a coincidence.

this vid tho - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A29xjvbYk4U

haha
Old 12.30.2013, 01:59 PM   #1403
louder
invito al cielo

Talib Kweli Says Drake Is The Most Important Rapper Of 2013
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...apper-of-2013/

Quote:
Exclusive: Talib Kweli says Drake is "making honest music" and "making hit records."

Talib Kweli, who recently discussed his Gravitas album and who also released Prisoner Of Conscious through Javotti Media this year, was recently asked to discuss the most important rapper of 2013. Excluding himself, Kweli said that the most important emcee of the year was Drake.

"Most important emcee of 2013?" Talib Kweli said in an exclusive interview with HipHopDX. "Drake. Drake is killing them. Drake is making honest music. He's making hit records. He's got lyrics for the dudes and he's got subject matter that any human being can relate to, dude or female. He's just really killing the game. He's really turned himself into the rapper to check for, and the number one emcee, the top tier emcee."

Kweli also said that Drake has great potential, if he is consistent with his work.

"If he can maintain his relevance for another couple years, he'll be considered one of the greats up there with your Tupacs and Biggies and Jay Zs and even Kanye Wests. But Drake has doing a great job this year."

In an interview published December 18, Kweli spoke about both albums he's released in 2013.

"[With] Prisoner of Conscious, the focus was definitely to show people, musically, you like my music because I make great music," Kweli added. "The focus of Gravitas is definitely lyrics and me telling my story. Prisoner of Conscious was like, 'I'm making songs.' I'm like, 'Okay, I'm making this song. Let's see what this song is about. Here's a song with Miguel…' I'm proud of Prisoner of Conscious. I worked on it for four years. It was the album I wanted to make. But immediately after I finished making it, I felt the need to start writing. ...This is for fans of mine who already know that I'm dope musically. They just want to hear dope lyrics. So this album is for them."
Old 12.30.2013, 02:05 PM   #1404
louder
invito al cielo

wow, Talib basically said that Kanye is the greatest rap artist of all time.
Old 12.31.2013, 09:29 PM   #1405
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
wow, Talib basically said that Kanye is the greatest rap artist of all time.

Not exactly, I think we read that quote in the opposite direction, you read it as "even Kanye West" as to Talib was implying that Ye is even better than Tupac or Biggie, whereas I'm reading it that same use of the word even as to imply, fuck it even this lesser but popular artist.

We both could be totally wrong, though interestingly, one of my favorite tracks on Prisoner of Conscious

Quote:
uh, what if I, listen to haters and never bothered Hittin high water marks cause the market flooded with garbage
Uh, rappers nowadays are confusin you I know you tired of the usual like Trey Songz and Drake Uh,
that's why I'm keepin the faith, keepin the pace Although it's all about the winnin it's never about the race

So I must admit I'm a bit disappointed to read that...

anyway, blessed new year to y'all.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2013, 11:15 PM   #1406
louder
invito al cielo

82 pages in one year, not bad.

happy new year brothers!

may 2014 be full of great music and quality hip-hop.
Old 12.31.2013, 11:18 PM   #1407
louder
invito al cielo

Cocaine Pińata (the Freddie Gibbs x Madlib collab album) is coming out February 4th.

that's my most anticipated album in the world at the moment.

"Guests on the album include Raekwon, Earl Sweatshirt, Danny Brown, Domo Genesis, Joey Bada$$, Ab Soul, BJ The Chicago Kid, Meech of Flatbush Zombies, Casey Veggies, Mac Miller, Polyester the Saint, G-Wiz".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwC5ePDNkp0 - fucking love this, so fucking dope.
Old 01.01.2014, 06:22 PM   #1408
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
1. A$AP Rocky - Long.Live.A$AP
Rocky killed it this year. This album came out in January, and I still listen to it weekly. Dude is really amazing to me. And he's still young! But the beat selection is huge too. I love all the chopped 'n screwed style slowness. I'm super excited for the A$AP Mob album coming this year.
"LVL" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR5dwQNizVU

2. Kanye West Yeezus
Was tough deciding between this and Rocky, but ultimately I listened to Rocky more even if this is the more impressive album. I love when artists throw a curve-ball and Kanye's been doing that for several albums now. I've said it before, but this sounds to me like Kanye fronting the band Suicide. Which is awesome.
"Send It Up" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYzG4nIuT7I

3. Spring Breakers (soundtrack)
This album will forever remind me of the Summer of 2013. My wife and I were just recent homeowners, and this is the soundtrack to mowing lawns for the first time, painting rooms, and getting in the few trips to the beach we could. A mix of Skrillex & Cliff Martinez doing scores, some Southern hip hop and bits of electropop. (Sadly missing the Britney song though!) Even though a lot of this material was culled from previously released albums, it just works so well as a cohesive whole.
"Son of Scary Monsters" Cliff Martinez & Skrillex - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mie6FzZkFNs

4. Jay-Z - Magna Carta… Holy Grail
I love HOVA. We all know that. This one didn't get much praise, but I really enjoyed it and listened to it a hell of a lot. It's more of a club (or cruising) album than a deep thoughts album. But it seems like even when Jay doesn't have a whole lot on his mind, he still sounds great saying whatever it is that comes out.
"Picasso Baby" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI7ZWuAkVOc

5. Eminem - The Marhsall Mathers LP 2
This was a real nice surprise! Basically the most consistent release from Em in years. I'll put this above Relapse and Recovery. He just sounds like he's really really hungry on this one. Like he's got something to prove.
"Rap God" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

6. Ghostface Killah - Twelve Reasons To Die
OMG! Ok, so Ghost hires a live band to create something sounding like the score to an Italian Giallo film and then writes a concept album about his own origin. Unreal. This guy will never slow down!
"An Unexpected Call" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P9F1Tq63w4

7. Drake - Nothing Was The Same
Man, this guy can't seem to make a bad album. But what's cool about NWTS is just how focused it is. It's like Drake really got comfortable with making an ALBUM instead of just an awesome collection of songs. It's crazy to me the progression he's made in a relatively short period of time.
"Tuscan Leather" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U8FzehonsE

8. Chance The Rapper - Acid Rap
Chance is that guy who came out of NOWHERE this year. His voice can turn folks off, but once you get used to it he's just incredible to try to follow his syllables. Chance is definitely one to keep an eye on seeing as how this was a freebie mixtape. He's going places for sure.
"Favorite Song" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mtA9GvpzwU

9. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience
If you are a JT fan there's no way this album could have let you down. It's a crazy sprawling work that gives the production plenty of room to breathe, move around and then morph into something else. I couldn't say the same about Vol 2, but this first set is untouchable.
"Strawberry Bubblegum" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRXCfOYnSZM

10. Lil Wayne - I Am Not A Human Being II
What a mess! Weezy made a play towards getting focused again this year (see also: Dedication 5) but couldn't quite do it. So basically I love half of this record and could do without the other half. But the half I loved, well that kept me coming back to it all year... even more so than albums I heard that I'd call "better albums."
"Trippy" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lto2J6ymAOM

...PS

some albums that were close contenders were Chelsea Light Moving's S/t album, Danny Brown's OLD, Tyler's WOLF and Earl Sweatshirt's DORIS. Oh and Joey Bada$$ and Tha Underachiverz made great mixtapes. As was the NY Renaissance mixtape assembled by Peter Rosenberg. These just happened to be the ones I listened to most though. I also didn't buy a ton of albums this year w/ the house and all. I probably listened to Pandora more than albums. Oh, biggest disappointment for me was Flaming Lips' THE TERROR which I found shockingly boring. And I think if I had picked up Neil Young's CELLAR DOOR set, that would have probably landed on here. Shrug.
Old 01.02.2014, 12:38 AM   #1409
louder
invito al cielo

yay, waking up early in the morning to NR's list. great post.
Old 01.02.2014, 05:24 PM   #1410
louder
invito al cielo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=korlItQ0Yy0

so happy that i found this vid.
Old 01.02.2014, 06:22 PM   #1411
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
love N.E.R.D.
Old 01.02.2014, 10:10 PM   #1412
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Severian's Top Ten Hip Hop albums of 2013:

1. Kanye West - Yeezus
2. Ghostface Killah - 12 Reasons to Die
3. A$AP Rocky - Long.Live.A$AP
4. Pusha T - My Name is My Name
5. Black Milk - No Poison, No Paradise
6. Doley Bernays - Just in Case
7. Killah Priest - Psychic World of Walter Reed
8. Underachievers - Indigoism
9. Earl Sweatshirt - Doris
10. Hieroglyphics - the Kitchen

Honorable Mention:
Slum Village - Evolution
Drake - Nothing Was the Same (the pussy synthy shit finally started to grow on me a little)
Deltron 3030 - Event II
Tree - Sunday School II: When Church Gets Out
Rick Ross/MMG - Self-Made 3
Talib Kweli - Prisoner of Conscious

*This is NOT my full best of the year list. Just the hip-hop. Also, I'm allowing mixtapes in the album list. It's my list, so fuck you if you don't like it

For a cross-genre list of my top albums (which does, admittedly, contain several of these albums, stay tuned. I think I'm starting a blog, because I realized that I bought and loved so many albums this year that it would be far too much work to arrange them all just for a simple post. I might go balls out, because right now it's 50 albums long.

Stay tuned!!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2014, 11:09 PM   #1413
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry louder and noisereduction, all respect due, but I must tip my hat to Severian because his list is much more familiar to my own for 2013 which I've already posted.

Old 01.03.2014, 02:26 AM   #1414
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Hahaha.. Me and MC Tree G been having a sick reasoning session on Twitter. Irie. Dude was having guilt trips about the Sunday School titles, I had to big them up because I'm a Sunday School teacher and I particularly was into those mixtapes because of those titles and themes, but I also respect his perspective, that's why I love that MC Tree music, its mature rap for grown folks. Dude is flipping the script in 2014 for his mama, but he definitely appreciated my big ups.. Aside from a grip of replies (at 1:25 AM chicago time) dude favorited and retweeted all my tweets on his page. Irie. I love equality in music, and I love the internet for giving us so many opportunities to connect with the artists and musicians we love. I've chatted with a lot of my favorite bands through the internet, which is cool because you can't always make it to the shows (though I've been blessed to talk with many of them there too)

Old 01.03.2014, 02:44 AM   #1415
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

y'all can find me @Habte_Sabroso by the way

Old 01.03.2014, 07:48 AM   #1416
noisereductions
invito al cielo

that's really cool suchfrends.

I don't twitter (or facebook, myspace or wahtever the kids do) but that is really nice that you got to communicate directly w/ him like that.
Old 01.03.2014, 07:57 AM   #1417
noisereductions
invito al cielo

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...ler-than-most/

if you guys wanted Del to make a new album in 2014 and release it for free... done.
Old 01.03.2014, 08:40 AM   #1418
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/0...ler-than-most/

if you guys wanted Del to make a new album in 2014 and release it for free... done.

What?! Explain! I'm literally driving to work right now! Haha SERIOUSLY
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2014, 09:01 AM   #1419
noisereductions
invito al cielo

yup. Del just threw a brand new album up on his soundcloud for free stream & download.
Old 01.03.2014, 10:20 AM   #1420
noisereductions
invito al cielo

kinda liking the new Pixies single...

http://pitchfork.com/news/53476-pixi...p-share-video/
61686970 71 727374 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth