Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Thurston's favourite guitar player
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.23.2007, 01:51 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://arts.guardianSpotting a star in the Texas night

The South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, is the best place for a band to build a buzz. Sylvie Simmons asked the tastemakers which acts caught their eye this year

Friday March 23, 2007
The Guardian

Magik Markers
What are they like? Male-female, guitar-drums duo from Hartford, Connecticut.
Chosen by: Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth and head of Ecstatic Peace records. "Elisa Ambrogio, who sings and plays guitar, is my favourite guitar player right now. Her approach to the instrument is the complete opposite to traditional - she'll hold the guitar upside down with the neck touching the ground and claw at it. It's completely primal. Magik Markers say they have songs, but you wouldn't really know it, and the music is not really punk but it's completely punk at the same time - it's not referencing anything. Everybody at the gig was just stunned; it blew everybody's mind. They've done some CD-Rs and small-label things but they've never yet made a record that captures what they do on stage, which is either cathartic or it's nothing, it's a real roll of the dice what you're going to get, whether they're playing their most important show ever, or to five people in a squat. Really what they are is the anti-buzz, buzz band - they'll tell any of the other buzz bands to buzz off. They're what rock'n'roll is all about."
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2007, 03:37 AM   #2
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
well, i was totally blown away by them @ atp, eventhough many people said it wastn't that good as they could be.

that was my first time seeing them, and it was fantastic.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2007, 12:50 PM   #3
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
yea i liked them when i saw them live too. I feel like their shows can be incredible or horrible it all depends on the mood of the crowd.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2007, 02:56 PM   #4
Isoflurane
bad moon rising

Isoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to beholdIsoflurane is a splendid one to behold
I saw them at End Times. I wasn't impressed.
But everyone else who saw 'em said it was a bad show.
So . . . . I don't know.
Old 03.23.2007, 03:44 PM   #5
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
To be honest.. I find the Magik Markers kind of... uh, "nothing special."
Never seen them, but I've seen videos, and it's just random open string droning with boring drumming, and indiscernable yips/gumbles way underneath. It's like...really shittily done noise rock...not my thing. Seems pretty pointless...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2007, 11:17 AM   #6
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Haven't heard much of them, but I've liked what I've heard. I should really go and live in NY so I can see all these bands... Noise music seems to be virtually non-existent where I live...
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth