Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped? Disillusion.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.08.2006, 03:57 AM   #61
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i think the album is rather great, and for a band that have so many recordings they are not all going to be flights of genius, take it for what it is.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 10:16 AM   #62
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
However, I don't think there needs to be an intelligent reason to like something. It's very possible to like something for no reason at all, at least that you're aware of.

I like Rather Ripped because it's very easy to sing along to, I think it has pretty good lyrical content, and the melodies are very catchy. They give me that kind of, "Hey, I want to listen to that song now," feeling when I think of them. Ironically, none of these things have ever been my reasons for liking Sonic Youth.

Hope you don't mind my editing of your post, but this is what I want to agree with in particular.

I don't know SY's extensive catalog. I know 5 or 6 cds and am in the process of getting them all. But I've never listened to them as a 'Pop' band either....sure, much of their stuff have catchy riffs and melody's...but this new one hits me as PERFECT POP. And there's nothing at all wrong with POP when it's perfect !! IMHO. I do the same thing...sing the simple, catchy riffs....like Daydream nation says.....'Incinerate...Incinerate'.....I'm there !

Sonic Youth is taking me back to that time where the simplest denominator grabs me....As I listen more...I hear so much more though...it's very intricate, the interplay of guitars. That's what perfect pop is...you get drawn in by the simplicity..and the richness underlying reveals itself. It's a natural fulfillment that way. It's like a growing relationship, not just a wham-bam thank you mamm, jump into the sack at first glance. Uhh..I dunno. I just really like the record.....sheesshh..

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 10:24 AM   #63
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have followed this band avidly for 20 years. My respect is deep and long-standing.

I like exactly one song on this album (the Lee song, no big surprise there).
This album is a big disappointment to me, but I have no reason to think they'll never make another good album, because I know they can.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.08.2006, 11:03 AM   #64
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i don't think sonic youth have it in them to make a slick digestable pop record, which is what it sounds like they are trying to do with this album. i reckon the next few records are going to be lame, and then maybe they'll get back to being good, if they haven't retired by then.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth