Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I want to become a composer for film/games/tv...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.19.2011, 12:58 AM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
...but I don't know how...

When I was younger, I thought I wanted to be a rock star, tour the world, make records, screw groupies, etc.

But even then, I knew it would be temporary gig, 5-10 years tops. Very few bands last longer than that, and those that do are usually mediocre (Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones) or only are popular for a short time (i.e. SY have been around since '81, but hit their commerical peak in '92 and haven't really been big in a mainstream way since). So in the back of my mind, I wanted to move on to composing for film after my band career ran its course. My plan was to do it Trent Reznor-style and build up a reputation from my music so that clients would want me to create music for them.

Well, fast forward to now. My band's split up and frankly, I don't want to join another or start my own unless it was something just for fun, not something serious with the intention of "going somewhere" or "making it". It was always fun jamming and rocking out onstage, but having to deal with apathetic audiences, a non-commital bassist who insisted upon 1000% perfection, and getting screwed by venues...no thanks. Not only that, but also I have a beautiful (though troubled) girl whom I hate not being with, and for me to leave her for months at a time to tour would be awful on both of us.

So, I'm going to prepare for a career as a composer (actually, I'd most want to be a game composer since music and video games are my two biggest interests) and in order to do that, I need a degree and a portfolio. Otherwise, no one will take me seriously. The schools I've been looking at are far from where I'm at and I'm not in a position to travel, but they all offer online programs.

Full Sail University: This one has a fairly comprehensive Music Production major, which covers everything from production to arrangement to songwriting. However, the tuition is rather steep and they require you to purchase a MacBook Pro, although it can be covered by financial aid. Not only that, but they also don't have a good reputation in some circles...

The Academy of Art University: These guys offer a Music for Visual Media major, which focuses specifically on creating music for film, television, and video games. Again though, the tuition is high and the one course requires you to have a Mac, which may or may not be covered by tuition or financial aid. Also, they're not always well reviewed - although most of the complainers were studying on campus.

Berklee College of Music: They have courses in Music Production, as well as an Orchestrating and Producing Music for Film and Games certificate program, but I can't find anything as far as a degree goes. Again, reviews are not good, but many of them were by disillusioned music performance majors studying on campus.

Anybody have any experience with any of these guys or have any other suggestions?
Old 02.19.2011, 01:10 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I've composed for a wide variety of projects -- from movies (mainly my own) and cartoons to my friend's RPG -- and it's fun. It's actually the most fun thing I can think of, thinking how sound can match up with image...

I have no real advice as far as colleges go, since I've never went to college... I don't really have much advice period, since I've kinda just did what interested me and never paid attention to the "right" way to go about things... maybe there is no right way? I mean, unfortunately the world is stuffed with composers already. The usual advice is to "move to LA!" or "keep practicing". Both might be good advice. But eh.

Just dedicate yourself to something -- do you have a friend who makes videos or something and doesn't have a soundtrack? Practice soundtracking them. Rip scenes from movies and practice writing your own score. It's surprisingly fun. You'll quickly pick up on it and develop a passion for it I'm sure.

The best thing to have is FRUITY LOOPS (and any other good recording software with lots of plugins), possibly; since it can synthesize any sound ever made, it helps a lot. One technique I enjoy using in my films is to take a sound, like someone talking, cut it up, load it in Fruity Loops, and then play the sounds on the keyboard inside of FL Studio... then I'll slow what I just played down... so you'll often hear words repeat, but as notes in the background... I dunno why I mentioned that, except that experimenting is tops. You'll get noticed more for being unique.... and obviously the best advice is to just familiarize yourself with good music to begin with.

Why is Morricone so loved? Why is Goblin -- really, how does a disco prog band fit a horror score so well anyway? Knowing when to let your music sit back or stand up front is important, but you're already a talented musician so you already know this.

If you're wanting do tv work, listen to music on a show like Law and Order. Try to replay it. Study, study, study. Don't just study the good stuff -- study the bad, too. Why does that Miami Vice background music sound so fucking cheesy?

Great music to study would be any of Bernard Hermann or Badalementi's scores, I think. As far as video games, man... get the Killer7 soundtrack right away, this is one of the best soundtracks ever, and it perfectly encapsulates the (literally) schizophenric game. On the other side of the coin, get the soundtrack to ICO -- most of it is just like 30 second atmospheric sound clips, very minimal. Just like the game.

Also, I guess one thing is you probably will have to eventually commit to either being a game composer or a composer in the movie/tv industry (which means moving to LA, almost definitely). You're probably more likely to find a job as a game composer.

Here's everything you need to know about becoming a game composer:
http://www.1up.com/features/videogam...guide-job-june

one thing that's important to note is you may not have to move. But for movies and shit, you'll definitely have to move to LA, because you'll have to work very closely with the director.

I dunno, wish I could be more helpful.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2011, 01:14 AM   #3
Adult-Daypass
little trouble girl

Adult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's asses
Lock yourself in the shed.

Write something everyday.

Learn as much as you can about all kinds of instruments.

Remember that it's not the school that matters; it's how you use the resources and your time.

Berklee is just a name; an expensive one.

The Academy of Art University program sounds the best for what you're interested in.

(If you haven't already) Try and find a friend who is into visual art/film and collaborate as much as possible. Experience is everything, right?

Good luck.
Adult-Daypass is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2011, 04:14 PM   #4
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Ok half of my living comes from this but my work is mostly for mainstage theatre. Most of my work came from people that I went to uni with in the start. Now it comes from all over the place. For me it really was a who you know sort of deal. You can put together a package and send to people but that won't necessarily bring inn any work. These jobs aren't the easiest to get into and alot of involves building your reputation.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Pros of University: contacts and shortcuts to experience; qualification
Cons: Potentially wasting more time; no guarantee of a job.

I have some useless qualifications. I did them because I was genuinely interested in the subjects. I have not acquired a career from it. I think any decision to go to uni should be made on the basis of 'I am interested in this'. I have a good mate who has a sound production degree who constantly rues that "it's hard finding a job". Degrees may mean you walk into your ideal job, but the people I know who've done well in the music world have done so through mates' networks (as TP above says).

I wouldn't suggest not going to uni; but I'd also suggest getting a portfolio together (even if it's a fake one, initially) and approaching every small games' producers you can and saying 'I do music, you need music. I'll do it for free'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth