Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the Who thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.16.2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe there is one already?

In any way I have to say I have appreciated that band long, long time. I think itīs one of the first punk bands although there was Sonics before(Somebody has said to me that Trasmen`s Surfinī Bird was the first punk song, but I think it was Eddie Cochranīs something else). Whoīs first albums are so energetic that very rare band in that time couldnīt do the same. In middle seventies their records start to getting a little bit bad direction, but I havenīt heard any totally bad record (I havenīt heard Face Dances and Itīs hard). They are one of the rare bands, who has made fine comeback album (endless wire, itīs at least as good as Who by Numbers). Their concert in few years ago was also very good (Daltreyīs voice was not in a total good condition and they were a little bit tired because it was their last concert on that tour). But in encores they play many songs from Tommy and I was in heaven!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Haven't listened to the Who in ages - I find their lyrics quite tiresome now, but live in Leeds is one of the better live albums out there. Fucking loud as well.

Something I quite like about Townshend is that he's got an absurdly heavy attack. Even with the amps at full whack, he'll still cunt the fuck out of his guitar. Him and Jeff Beck are the only interesting guitarist out of that era, for me - and they're both happy doing one-note solos, rather than widdling about like a cunt (Clapton).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 08:03 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
who you listening to?
who
no, who you listening to
who
no, i asked you who you listening to
who

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 10:01 AM   #4
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
they were one of my favorite bands as a teenager, but my interest has waned pretty heavily. i just can't be arsed outside of their first three albums and live at leeds these days.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Haven't listened to the Who in ages - I find their lyrics quite tiresome now, but live in Leeds is one of the better live albums out there. Fucking loud as well.

Something I quite like about Townshend is that he's got an absurdly heavy attack. Even with the amps at full whack, he'll still cunt the fuck out of his guitar. Him and Jeff Beck are the only interesting guitarist out of that era, for me - and they're both happy doing one-note solos, rather than widdling about like a cunt (Clapton).

Iīm not big Jeff Beck-fan, although I have had interest to his early solo works. My brother have Blow by Blow, Wired and Live with Jan Hammer and used to listen them a lot, but now I havenīt got interest about them. Only "Beck-album" I have is Yardbirdīs Roger the engineer. In that album his solos are at least in some songs very near Townshend solos. Maybe Beck didnīt use feedback as radically as Townshend. But I think thereīs lots more interesting guitarists in 60-70ies for example Jimi Hendrix, also Clapton (his works before his solo career, sometimes he plays great solos some other artistīs albums also nowdays), Robert Fripp, Frank Zappa, the most of the Beefheart guitarists, Dave Gilmour, Ulrich Roth and Robin Trower.
Old 01.16.2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCreep
they were one of my favorite bands as a teenager, but my interest has waned pretty heavily. i just can't be arsed outside of their first three albums and live at leeds these days.

I agree about that the three first albums are just great, I think the Who sell out is their best album. But I think also Tommy, Live At Leeds, Whoīs next and Quadrophenia is just great!!! And I like also Odds and Sodds and Meaty,Beaty... -compilations a lot.
Old 01.16.2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to have to repeat this, because it's very important to me that I continue to emphasise that Zappa is the shittest thing imaginable. No offence to your good self [etc].

Fripp is a good call though, he's got a really interesting approach to the guitar at the time. Not really an 'orthodox' player though, more in the lieage of Keith Rowe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
One of my favourite bands.

Got a complete vinyl collection, a huge pile of dvds + the luck to see them live in 2007.

I heard theyre planning to tour with quadrophenia in 2011, or a new concept, they hadn't decided yet. I totally look forward, one of the bands I've been dedicating my life to.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 01:20 PM   #9
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
i've been hearing them on the radio almost everyday, and i don't like it because i don't like them
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 01:38 PM   #10
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I'm going to have to repeat this, because it's very important to me that I continue to emphasise that Zappa is the shittest thing imaginable. No offence to your good self [etc].

Fripp is a good call though, he's got a really interesting approach to the guitar at the time. Not really an 'orthodox' player though, more in the lieage of Keith Rowe.

Itīs very easy to me understand why people donīt like Zappa. I think heīs one of them people love or hate, very rare feel that he is indifferent. Well I had only "Does Humor belong into music"-tv document at first and it was me hard to understand, why some of my friends keep the man genius, I thought then that he is ok, but not great. Then I bought Bongo Fury (Beefheart was the reason) and began to understand how great he was.

About great guitarists of 60-70ies, I forgot to mention Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher, Alan Wilson, Duane Allman, Carlos Santana and John McLaughlin. Johnny Winter And, Johnny Winter And: Live, Living the Blues, At Fillmore East, Santana First, Abraxas, Santana Third, Against the grain and Birds of Fire are all just great albums! By the way whatīs the substance of music is the most important to me, I canīt listen the music, if the musics boring whatever good guitarists it have.
Old 01.16.2011, 05:52 PM   #11
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
This band changed everything for me from a young age. Being a passive/agressive finally meant I could exist.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 06:50 PM   #12
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
I rarely play Who's Next or Sell Out or Live At Leeds these days, but My Generation is a fucking revelation - such great songs, such amazing guitar tones, such fantastic energy. The deluxe reissue was amazing for extra tracks, b-sides, soul covers, etc plus I am reasonably positive Jimmy Page plays on a few of the tracks..... great record all around.........
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 07:59 PM   #13
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
''I Can't Explain'' is one of the best songs ever written. It's totally MALE in its point of view, luckily avoiding macho postures, gay leaninings or anything that'd decimate its potential. A fucking gem.
Old 01.16.2011, 08:01 PM   #14
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

I Love The Who. I'm A Mod At Heart.
Old 01.16.2011, 08:38 PM   #15
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
''I Can't Explain'' is one of the best songs ever written. It's totally MALE in its point of view, luckily avoiding macho postures, gay leaninings or anything that'd decimate its potential. A fucking gem.

Fuck yeah man, that song is insanely good! I'm always amazed Circles wasn't a hit either, totally killer song......
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2011, 02:39 AM   #16
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

The start of the concert here in Finland couldnīt be better: First song was I canīt explain. In the back of the band they showed old black and white film from the begin of the their career.
Old 01.17.2011, 05:41 AM   #17
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
The who are fantastic. Got the LIve at Reed Vinyl and it's perrrrrfect. Not to mention their performance of A Quick One While She's away from the Rolling STones Circus is amazing.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2011, 08:05 AM   #18
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I love those first few singles but apart from the odd song, never really got into anything they did after. I pretty much agree with everything already said about 'I Can't Explain'; a fantastic record. Then Townshend started wearing boiler suits and writing songs about engine drivers, at which point it all went a bit tits up for me.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.10.2011, 09:41 AM   #19
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

In ELP-thread The Watcher claimed that ELP is the greatest band of all time. Well, to me personally Sonic Youth is still the most important at the moment, but If I have to say what is the most remarkable band in the pop/rock music history, I say it is the WHO! Why I havenīt said this before is that I have always thought Face Dances and Itīs Hard is quite miserable albums. I have just heard all the Who studio albums in passing (with working) and maybe Face Dances is not still very strong album. But I bought Itīs Hard and listened it properly and itīs just great! Well itīs not the Who Sell Out or Tommy or Whoīs next, but much greater than Who are You!

I think Who is almost the only sixties-seventies band who sound so fresh also in the eighties. I have thought the greatest band would have also been King Crimson, because I have also listened recently their albums Construkction Of Light and Power to Believe, but even theyīre also great albums, they are so depressive when the Who Itīs Hard and also Endless Wire is so full of hope! I also think Who have done almost all kinds of style music, they have succeed even put the symphonic elements in Tommy and Quadrophenia. And I think they also succeed to reform without making it constrained like many other bands. Itīs Hard and Endless wire sounds so different that first album My generation, but still itīs easy to recognise them all who albums. Maybe there is echoes from Quadrophenia in Itīs Hard and Endless Wire, but Quadrophenia is quite depressive album when those two are so optimistic. The Who made also one of the rock/pop history greatest singles!

Maybe the Beatles is still the most important band in the sixties, but I think the Who is the most important of all time!

The Who have had many official recognitions, but I think thereīs lots of younger people who donīt know how important band the Who is.

I know many of you will disagree with me, but please, but the arguments also, not just a lame "youīre wrong"-opinion.
Old 10.11.2011, 08:25 AM   #20
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I wish they would release their set from Woodstock. It is incredible and my GEN20 copy doesn't even sound very good. The short piece they releaed on The Kids Are Alright is just a tasty teaser of this band at their heaviest. The Who took the Jeff Beck Group slot (but only after the Jefferson Airplane signed on, as they were the biggest band around at the time and The WHo didn't want to be left behind, I think the Jeff Beck Group was having internal problems.).

Check out the 2 Jeff Beck Group albums for some excellent 60's UK blues. Rod Stewart sounds great and the musicianship is killer.

Its hard for us to understand how bands like Jeff Beck and the Who changed everything when they started showing up at gigs with guitar stacks and PAs, up to that time bands played on little amps. of course that later allowed promoters to put bands in enormous stadiums with huge stacks of amps that sounded like shit. But lots of money was to be made...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth