Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Influence of the Beatles..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.22.2013, 08:42 PM   #41
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2013, 08:45 PM   #42
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Now we're getting somewhere. Can we take this a step further? How successful were these bands? Were they big enough in the "mainstream"? Did they have an impact of their own? Thank you for actually posting some substance by the way, I appreciate it (sincerely)

Dude, I named, like, half of these bands in my post. This guy listed more bands than I did, but still... C'maaan!

Anyway, don't forget the higher profile artists who directly cite the Beatles as an influence... You'll have to move forward a couple years in time, but these artists all carry with them a piece of the Beatles' dynamic:

Simon and Garfunkle - Hugely popular, definitely have their own legacy, might even be on a par with the Beatles in terms of quality, songwriting, etc.

Nilsson for sure.

Pink Floyd. For christ's sake, of this band stayed in tact, they'd probably be as big as the Beatles by now. Unfortunately they're more like the Stones at this point, or (much worse) Van Halen, since they have three distinct eras at least, and their fans are split into warring factions.

Donovan - Man, this guy took the Sgt. Pepper approach and ran with it. Huge talent, and extremely influential to important current artists like Beck, and Sufjan.

U2, The Police, the Cure - Probably the three definitive '80s bands. The Beatles influence is palpable in all three, but it stands out most in the Police. Extremely musical, challenging, and prior to becoming "Sting's old band," they were pretty damn good. U2 just wanted to be the Beatles, and kind of became the closest thing, by default, since they loved to switch up their sound and stayed popular for so *motherfucking* long. The Cure, I'm not sure about, but something about their early aesthetic feels very Beatlesque to me. They also became experimenters, only they never strayed to far from the frantic pre-alternative angst whining that made them famous. Still, Disintegration is such an anal, pitch perfect album. It's reminiscent of Phil Spector production, and it's iconic as hell.

But all you need to do is look at the top selling college rock albums on any given week. Chances are, 70-100% will be less than six degrees sonically removed from the Beatles. Look at the biggest indie bands of the last few years. The Beatles were 50 years ahead of their time, but now it seems like every innovative band is doing their own Sgt. Pepper.

I'm really bored
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2013, 10:31 PM   #43
GravitySlips
children of satan

GravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Influence is when bands have similarly distinctive sounds, inspiration is when bands were directly inspired but not necessarily have the same sound. Many bands were inspired by the Beatles to start bands, to play shows, and as Rob in particular mentioned, to focus on original song writing and crafting. However, in the 1960s so many bands had a unique sound of their own that its hard for me to hear a Beatles influence, while never denying the impact of Beatles on the scene and bands in general. Sure, Jimi Hendrix covered Beatles songs, but honestly, who really hears early Beatles in that raunchy, bluesy, psyched out Hendrix tunes? Shit, even when he covered Beatles songs they didn't sound like Beatles songs, they sounded like fucking Hendrix songs. The Grateful Dead quite literally covered two dozen Beatles songs, and yet dude, who the fuck honestly hears the Beatles in the Dead during 1968? Pigpen had them sounding like a damned Otis Redding cover band, not some "I wanna hold your hand" wanna-bes. Again, both Hendrix AND Jerry Garcia were very fond of the Beatles and spoke often of how much they were inspired by what the Beatles were doing which inspired them to go out and do their own thing. I know I sound like a broken record, and its not like I'm right and y'all are wrong, these are strictly matters of taste and opinion. Further, I'm used to have unpopular musical opinions so its all good..

So would you say Sonic Youth were inspired by bands like The Velvet Underground/Stooges rather than influenced by them?

Who/what were SY's influences?
GravitySlips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2013, 11:02 PM   #44
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2013, 11:09 PM   #45
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
inspiration is when bands were directly inspired

a = a

Old 12.23.2013, 06:31 AM   #46
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
John and Yoko financed The Holy Mountain by Jodorowsky
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2013, 10:35 AM   #47
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
suchfreinds won't be satisfied until we find an artist who:

1.) Was producing music before the Beatles
2.) Had a particular sound

And then:

3.) Produced music after the Beatles which:
4.) Dispensed with the old sound in order to sound like the Beatles

But don't bother thinking too hard. Even if we find someone who meets this rigid criteria, the response will be, "Okay, fine. That's one. Name another."
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2013, 12:19 PM   #48
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
the stones sounding very beatle-ish...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JU3yqdo8Lc (the meat puppets cover of this great)

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2013, 01:14 PM   #49
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

And then:

But don't bother thinking too hard. Even if we find someone who meets this rigid criteria, the response will be, "Okay, fine. That's one. Name another."

No, I think that would about cover it, but of course, folks haven't gone that into depth yet so....

Old 12.23.2013, 02:06 PM   #50
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Do you know you can get a Masters in Beatles studies?

I think there are whole books that answer your question below, but your time frame is a bit off, it should start in 1963, as they had a year or 2 in the UK before they clicked in the US.

What mystifies me is this is supposed to be one of the McCartney's biggest selling songs ever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5626WzsfMw

Quote:
Lets have an intelligent musical discussion. On the recent Nivana thread folks have been comparing Nirvana to Beatles, which might not be valid. Its led to heated side-bar discussion about the Beatles in general. I personally just don't see the Beatles as being influential to the 1960s so much as inspiring. So many bands were inspired to start up bands and get out there when they saw the Beatles doing it, but I just don't hear any influence on the music itself.

If y'all do, kindly document this progression please. Can y'all help inform me and list record releases in chronology to demonstrate how the Beatles directly influenced mainstream bands from 1964-1968? I don't dispute the influence of records like Abbey Road and Let It Be, but these records clearly had their impact more so in the 1970s as a plethora of Abbey Road/Let It Be records and bands came out. However before then? I just don't hear it. It was mentioned that Stones responded to Sgt Pepper, but to me I don't hear it, if anything it sounds like Sgt Pepper was a response to both the rising Stones and also the weird 1966/67 Blues revival explosion which replaced the folk era and spawned the success of bands like the Grateful Dead (who relied almost solely on kick ass Ottis Redding covers until 1968), Jimi Hendrix (who also relied on blues "standards" until Are You Experienced), Cream, Black Sabbath, and even James Brown.

So step up and help us out, with evidence demonstrate chronologically just how influential the Beatles were (as opposed to being inspiring)..
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2013, 02:28 PM   #51
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove

And then:

Hendrix in 65: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqUGEcxEJ44
Beatles in 66: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3znOTuT4K8
Hendrix in 67: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg2segLZoeA

Pre Beatles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fGaBv8pAMA
Post Beatles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjFQ4JQqK_0 (which also influenced the Beatles)

Slight Beatles Influence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV62UcqbcQA
Massive Beatles Influence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcy8o0gj-A0

The Byrds apparently switched to 12 string guitars after hearing The Beatles. So their signature sound is heavily influenced by The Beatles.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2013, 03:32 PM   #52
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Oasis
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2013, 04:40 PM   #53
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe7q8yDPJFo
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2013, 07:39 PM   #54
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Parfum is indeed my all-time favorite novel, I've also read it several times, and keep reading it all the damned time. It's such an epic read..

Old 12.23.2013, 08:18 PM   #55
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I think it come down to this, does everything a band does/do/did sound like I Want to Hold Your Hand? No? Then they aren't influenced by the Beatles.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2013, 08:41 PM   #56
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I think it come down to this, does everything a band does/do/did sound like I Want to Hold Your Hand? No? Then they aren't influenced by the Beatles.

Old 12.23.2013, 08:56 PM   #57
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

http://listverse.com/2012/10/11/10-b...changed-music/

http://joetheflow.wordpress.com/2009...y-the-beatles/
Old 12.23.2013, 11:05 PM   #58
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IcK4S5lDE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBH97ma9YiI
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2013, 05:02 AM   #59
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom

I think this may be the last I've heard an English band writing a song I loved. It's very John and very English, which I like both.
Old 12.24.2013, 05:03 AM   #60
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I think this song may be the last I've heard an English band writing a song I loved. It's very John and very English, which I like both.
No, it's The Shadow Ring.

It's Broadcast.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth