Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Opinions On New White Stripes Record?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.03.2007, 12:15 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Well it came out last week and leaked sometime before that. What do you all think of Icky Thump? I personally love it, its a great mix of a bunch of white stripes styles. It definetly does retain that heavier raw sound from their debut just check out "little cream soda" or "bone broke".I really like all the song on the new record, well except for the scottish songs."You dont know what love is" has this great organ riff thats catchy as fuck and an amazing solo in it.I think this is one of their strongest records yet.Easily better than Get Behind Me Satan.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2007, 05:28 PM   #2
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
First time i listened to it I was a bit naaah. Now I like it a lot more. Like you though, I'm not into the bagpipe idea.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2007, 06:04 PM   #3
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
Well it came out last week and leaked sometime before that. What do you all think of Icky Thump? I personally love it, its a great mix of a bunch of white stripes styles. It definetly does retain that heavier raw sound from their debut just check out "little cream soda" or "bone broke".I really like all the song on the new record, well except for the scottish songs."You dont know what love is" has this great organ riff thats catchy as fuck and an amazing solo in it.I think this is one of their strongest records yet.Easily better than Get Behind Me Satan.

yeah i agree, i think its brilliant.
Old 07.03.2007, 06:23 PM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't heard it, but it's shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2007, 06:24 PM   #5
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
icky thump > get behind me satan

i really like the new album a whole lot
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2007, 06:40 PM   #6
lungfish
bad moon rising

lungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asseslungfish kicks all y'all's asses
saw them at Irving Plaza a couple of weeks back.
great new album. i have nothing against the "scottish" songs.
some people have problems with them but i think they're beautiful.
lungfish is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.03.2007, 11:53 PM   #7
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
I heard the first song today at work and had to turn it off, that shit was terrible.
dionysusundone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 04:06 AM   #8
sarramkrop

Here's a review of it, even though I haven't heard a single note:

The first track is complete cack and it leads into the second one that is even worse, but not as bad as the third one that made me stab the wall with a kitchen knife. By the fourth track I decided to venture outside on the street and punch random strangers, who in turns pushed me and grabbed me by the balls which I quite liked, but then anything would be better than listening to the rest of this piece of shit of an album.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

The first track is complete cack and it leads into the second one that is even worse, but not as bad as the third one that made me stab the wall with a kitchen knife. By the fourth track I decided to venture outside on the street and punch random strangers, who in turns pushed me and grabbed me by the balls which I quite liked, but then anything would be better than listening to the rest of this piece of shit of an album.

Are you a fucking idiot? The first song is far worse than that, you effete prick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 01:57 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i can't believe people still talk about this band.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 01:58 PM   #11
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Going to get it soon.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 02:00 PM   #12
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
all those secret shows they are having in canada, in school rooms and on buses, can i download them anywhere???
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 02:47 PM   #13
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Each time I hear the White Stripes I think it's as if Jack White owned only one record, Led Zeppelin II.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 02:53 PM   #14
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Each time I hear the White Stripes I think it's as if Jack White owned only one record, Led Zeppelin II.

Strange. The White Stripes just remind me of Dex Romweber / Flat Duo Jets.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2007, 03:54 PM   #15
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I haven't heard it, but it's shit.

What I was thinking.
Old 07.04.2007, 08:58 PM   #16
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
it isn't bad. "Conquest" is pretty sweet, but the rest is a bit meh.
Old 07.05.2007, 02:53 AM   #17
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Are you a fucking idiot? The first song is far worse than that, you effete prick.

Do you like it to have your prickface stuck inbetween my legs? Nice feeling, isn't it?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2007, 03:02 AM   #18
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
unless it's the Steve Hoffman mastered vinyl, the album isn't listenable
vulva is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2007, 08:59 AM   #19
matt74m
little trouble girl

matt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

Excellent
matt74m is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2007, 09:01 AM   #20
matt74m
little trouble girl

matt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of lightmatt74m is a glorious beacon of light
Think Icky Thump is the best thing they've done a while. Their first album was excellent, then they slowly got worse until they bottomed out at Get Behind Me Satan.

Still, good album.
matt74m is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth