Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.14.2010, 12:08 AM   #12401
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

This is my favorite comedy ever. SO fucking funny. Me and Brian (42-year-old dude who is in all my movies) quote it all the time. "You ithopie... ETHOPIAN..."

Attic Expeditions is crazy. I like the dream sequence that is seriously like LSD: Dream Simulator on the PS1... but with Naked City on the soundtrack..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2010, 05:07 AM   #12402
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses

Old 09.14.2010, 03:20 PM   #12403
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
I've got Face of Another to watch soon...
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2010, 03:44 PM   #12404
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
My fiancee REALLY HATED KickAss. REALLY hated it. Thought it was a crap movie. She could only get through about 1 hour before she fell asleep.

I need to read the comic though, beause the film was either missing something, or the comic source matertial is actually quite juvenile, and attempting to be grand and deep.
Old 09.14.2010, 04:29 PM   #12405
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
My fiancee REALLY HATED KickAss. REALLY hated it. Thought it was a crap movie. She could only get through about 1 hour before she fell asleep.

I need to read the comic though, beause the film was either missing something, or the comic source matertial is actually quite juvenile, and attempting to be grand and deep.

I havent seen it yet, but I still get the feeling I won't like it.
Old 09.14.2010, 04:36 PM   #12406
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Kick-Ass was great. Best film of the year next to SCott Pilgrim and Inception. It was just an entertaining movie, nothing more nothing less. NR, you've posted "I have a feeling I won't like it" probably 30 times. Just see the movie already! Haha. It's nothing mindblowing, but it is good.

El Mariachi - 8/10

This film was made for $600 (yes, film processing costs made it $7000.. and then, when cleaned up to be shown in mainstream theaters, it cost $1,000,000... but just to shoot it, it cost $600). And is about a thousand times better than most "Hollywood blockbusters". Clearly inspired by John Woo. A great film ,often overlooked, and definitely Rodriguez's best. Check it out. This is the kind of "auteur" film I was talking about the other day, I just love guys who edit, write, shoot, compose music for, direct, do special effects, produce, etc etc etc etc....

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:I...ages/0.jpg&t=1
Dementia (1955) - 7/10

Amazing atmosphere.

Old 09.14.2010, 04:47 PM   #12407
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
El Mariachi (in spanish) is fucking great. It is PLAUSIBLE, you know? shit goes down funky in small Mexican towns man.

and that lady at the jail who takes money to let hitmen in and then tips off the guy and takes money for tipping him off? IT IS EXACTLY LIKE THAT!

Love El Mariachi.

with all their flaws, that movie and Clerks really proved you just need to try and entertain the audience, and you can make a good film for nothing at all.
they just go about it in different ways.

You have not yet seen Spy Kids. It is really good. The Incredibles basically stole the set-up of Spy Kids.

Re: Kick Ass, I need to see it again. It was entertaining, but it lacked something which I cannot yet place.
Old 09.14.2010, 04:51 PM   #12408
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I think I got it. there are NO CONSEQUENCES in Kick Ass. In that sense it is more like a cartoon than a film taking place in a real concrete world, even though many attempts are made at hinting that this is an actual real world, as oposed to a magic make believe world of cartoons/superhero comics.
every character is two dimensional at BEST.
this works because it is a fun flick, but it lacks depth.
Old 09.14.2010, 04:51 PM   #12409
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I love Spy Kids. I saw 2 and 3 in theaters.I still have the 3D glasses. I think Rodriguez is brilliant, I'm a fan of him, more personally than his films. His movies are just fine, just nothing I'm overly fanatical about.

And, yes, I love Clerks. And.. Mall Rats was alright... and after that, eh, I hate Kevin Smith.

You'd think with really good camera costing a couple hundred bucks nowadays, there'd be all kinds of Kevin Smith/Rodriguez-type success stories. The most recent one I read about was a $70 zombie movie that played at Cannes. All my movies are $0 and have screened in theaters and been on DVD, but I'd hardly call them a "success".

I think Kick Ass lived and died by the 12 year old girl superhero in it. She was the best part. It just felt like a Hard Boiled type action flick sometime (though toned down) and a superhero parody at other times. It had a confused tone, but it was genuinely disturbing (Nicolas Cage's character and what happens to him and stuff -- in front of his daughter, who he had trained to be a killer!). I dunno. I liked it, the trailers certainly made it seem like something completely different...

Old 09.14.2010, 04:55 PM   #12410
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Kick-Ass was great. Best film of the year next to SCott Pilgrim and Inception. It was just an entertaining movie, nothing more nothing less. NR, you've posted "I have a feeling I won't like it" probably 30 times. Just see the movie already! Haha. It's nothing mindblowing, but it is good.

oh I know it's just really low on my list of shit to watch. And I only watch like 1-3 movies a week.
Old 09.14.2010, 05:03 PM   #12411
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

at least it makes ya think (re: kick ass!)

that alone makes it a worthy flick in my eyes.

I too have wondered why people are not making more personal movies with cheap quality flash drive camcorders. You can get a quite nice one for $500, borrow a friends bad-ass Mac and edit that shit yrself. There should be tons of people making like 20-30 minute short films right?

maybe there are and there is no way to distribute or share them...
Old 09.14.2010, 05:20 PM   #12412
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I just bought Rebel without a Crew!!

Old 09.14.2010, 05:27 PM   #12413
noisereductions
invito al cielo

...a ...book?
Old 09.14.2010, 05:38 PM   #12414
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I just bought Rebel without a Crew!!

Rebel without a Crew is amazing! I'm sure you'll love it. I've read it 3 times already!

Quote:
You'd think with really good camera costing a couple hundred bucks nowadays, there'd be all kinds of Kevin Smith/Rodriguez-type success stories. The most recent one I read about was a $70 zombie movie that played at Cannes. All my movies are $0 and have screened in theaters and been on DVD, but I'd hardly call them a "success".

You're right, with the quality of low-priced cameras, editing software, and the internet - being an indie filmmaker is now cheaper, and easier than ever. The problem is that the market is now a bit over-saturated with these kinds of flicks... and most of 'em, sadly, are average at best. Plus, many casual moviegoers still seem to think that major studio supported smut like Juno, Across the Universe, or what-have-you, are the pinnacle of indie film.

I don't think the answer to more modern, similar to Rodriguez or Smith success stories is that there aren't enough filmmakers trying to follow in their footsteps, I'd say it's a lack of proper distribution for these types of films.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2010, 06:20 PM   #12415
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

A lot of mumblecore films have gotten popular, which is cool, since those films were truly independant when they came out -- no professionals, lots of improv, no financing... but now they're just basically regular ol' indie films, with shakey cameras.

Old 09.14.2010, 08:56 PM   #12416
viewtiful alan redux
the destroyed room

viewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful alan redux kicks all y'all's asses

8.5/10
Old 09.14.2010, 09:42 PM   #12417
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
El Mariachi! Luv!

Vincent Moon is phenomenal. This man, this visionary... he takes the band Mogwai (one of my favs) and drenches the standard live concert film in black and cracks the haunting and climatic levels through the roof. From this using his skills, drops in shots of band traveling around New York and blends it with their live performance. Mogwai is in fine form, as always, belting out classics and some tunes from their The Hawk is Howling. Which I didn't know was so damn good! Beautiful. I got the deluxe version with the Live 2 LP, CD+DVD, T-shirt, and autographed poster! *hugs*
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2010, 10:55 PM   #12418
adjectives-ex
bad moon rising

adjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's asses

adjectives-ex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2010, 12:35 AM   #12419
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
ET just cause I hadn't seen it in years. It was eh, I've seen better
Old 09.15.2010, 01:37 AM   #12420
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostchase
El Mariachi! Luv!

Vincent Moon is phenomenal. This man, this visionary... he takes the band Mogwai (one of my favs) and drenches the standard live concert film in black and cracks the haunting and climatic levels through the roof. From this using his skills, drops in shots of band traveling around New York and blends it with their live performance. Mogwai is in fine form, as always, belting out classics and some tunes from their The Hawk is Howling. Which I didn't know was so damn good! Beautiful. I got the deluxe version with the Live 2 LP, CD+DVD, T-shirt, and autographed poster! *hugs*

wow, this souns AMAZING. gotta check it out.

521571611618619620 621 6226236246316717211121 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth