Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page early 90's generation
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.03.2006, 04:08 PM   #1
cheguevara6
empty page

cheguevara6 has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcheguevara6 has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
I was and am a big fan of the early 90’s seattle scene that was going on.

The music spoke about me and to me, like nothing else before or since.

Did anyone else kinda get the feeling that whole music movement was speaking about a sort of lost generation. A generation that was lost, was disillusioned, angry, upset, abused. These were kids who were left alone by their parents, and some didn’t even have “parents” so to speak.

Immortality speaks about a person who is at a crossroads: cannot stop the thought of running in the dark, coming up a which way sign all good truants must decide.

Like it or not, eddie vedder and Kurt Cobain became spokesmen of a generation, writing songs about sexual abuse, racism, death, suicide, and feeling completely lost.

I got the sense that it was like the 1960’s, there was millions of kids who identified with Nirvana and pearl Jam, and were disaffected youth, who were abused by parents and not listened to at all. The song runaway train by Soul Asylum kinda sums this up. That people started running away.

Anyone have any data on this, during the early 90’s did kids who identified with these bands start running away and rebelling? Were millions of kids listening to Nirvana and Pearl Jam, and saying hell yeah, I need to escape!

Did the music reflect reality in the sense that Jeremy did, that there were tons of kids who were neglected by parents, and made fun of by fellow students?

Was there is fact a movement much like the hippies, of kids who were trying to leave their homes and get away?

And if this is true, if this music was somehow so ahead of its time, to talk about kids like this, or if the music was merely a product of its time and reflected how kids felt, what happened to all those kids?

Did they stay on the run? Marry? Have kids?

We all know the story of how hippies turned into yuppies and sold out and all that, became what they hated. Can the same be said for the generation that lived in the 90’s?
cheguevara6 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
For sell out, refer to the entire career of Pearl Jam.

I was around seeing all those bands at the time, and I am much the same as I was then. Then again, I live in an arrested state of adolescence.
I did buy a house and get married, but I married the same girl I was seeing all those bands with back then.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 04:12 PM   #3
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
i can agree with alot of that. every new band tries to sound like nirvana and/or pearl jam... and they don't even do a good job.

as far as the last question goes, i don't really know. i was only a little kid while all of that went down
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 04:19 PM   #4
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I have yet to hear a band rip-off Nirvana or Pearl Jam. You all suck.

I guess that Last Days band did rip them off.
Old 05.03.2006, 04:20 PM   #5
cheguevara6
empty page

cheguevara6 has tongues queuing up for a rim-festcheguevara6 has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
so you all dont see it the same way as as I do?

You dont feel like the music in the early 90's was for and about a specific group of people, young people.

I mean, look at the lyrics to jeremy. Thats about a kid who is abused and shoots himself.

What happened 7 years later, dozens of white males were saying they were abused by fellow students and killed their fellow students at school.

As far as Pearl Jam goes, why call them a sellout, at the height of their fame, they refused to do interviews, make videos, and even took on Ticketmaster.

Sonic youth obviously has respect for them. Or they wouldnt tour together.

Pearl Jam didnt sell out, they dont make music for Sony or for corporations or for MTV, they do what the hell they want.
Old 05.03.2006, 04:22 PM   #6
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Pearl Jam played SNL. They suck. They release tons of stuff themselves and don't let other companies film them for one reason. MONEY.

You are ignorant.
Old 05.03.2006, 04:22 PM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I never felt part of any "movement" in the slightest.
It's pretty hard to build a movement around apathy in any case.
Old 05.03.2006, 04:24 PM   #8
cheguevara6
empty page

wow, this is kinda interesting to me. Cause I did feel a part of a movement,

After Kurt died 5,000 people went to the space needle and had a vigil.

They burned their flannel and stuff.

Seems to me maybe some of those people felt part of a movement or a generation of lost souls.
Old 05.03.2006, 04:24 PM   #9
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
kurt cobain used to prank call eddie vedder.. i don't have a problem with them though. i love nirvana, and pearl jam is cool from the 4 or 5 tunes i've heard
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 04:25 PM   #10
cheguevara6
empty page

well if your going to see Sonic youth over the summer, you'll hear a ton of pearl jam.
Old 05.03.2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I think its all in your head man. Just because bands wrote songs about social matters, and it got popular, doesnt mean there was a 'movement'. A movment actually changes things.

I think you were just high.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 04:27 PM   #12
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Being that attached to music is sickening. I listen to music 85% of the time I am awake and wouldn't be that terribly bummed if someone died. I'd probably be sad for a day or so but a vigil for someone who killed himself is weird. Especially because they wouldn't have had one if he wasn't in Nirvana.
Old 05.03.2006, 04:31 PM   #13
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I guess it's true that I related to a lot of that music because I felt kind of different and out of place, but mainly I love a lot of that music because it rocks me baby and makes me feel GOOD!
Old 05.03.2006, 04:31 PM   #14
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

I saw Nirvana in a small club, I saw Soundgarden play to an audience of 50, plus a bunch of others. They were great shows, but they were simply good bands from the time they were in. Most of them (the ones that continued on) went on to make horrible, watered down crap, and most of it sounds super dated to me now. To try and extrapolate it into a "movement" is a bit of a stretch to me. Pearl Jam were ALWAYS super mainstream sounding and they were ALWAYS boring. A Movement? Not in my sphere.
Old 05.03.2006, 04:37 PM   #15
cheguevara6
empty page

sure Pearl jam arent some indie band but neither are Sonic Youth. They released a DVD, and of course the new record Rather Ripped, that will be on a major label right?
Old 05.03.2006, 04:40 PM   #16
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Well, Sonic Youth labored in the underground for a decade before breaking into majors, and chose to break new ground in rock, rather than recycling weak classic rock with a warbling baritone, but we don't have to split hairs....

(seriously, I don't mean to come off all harsh on you, really)
Old 05.03.2006, 04:48 PM   #17
cheguevara6
empty page

right, i mean, Pearl Jam kept making album like Ten or Vs, right?

I mean, they have released 8 albums and all have the same songs, eh?

I dont think you listen to pearl jam.

They released an album called no code, their is no anthemic rockers like Alive or Even Flow. Their single from that is called who you are. Its almost sounds like Theorou wrote the lyrics. This isnt some huge hit.

I think Pearl Jam could easily have continued doing videos, making millions doing interviews or whatever.

They didnt.

Eddie Vedder said he sabotaged his own career, and said it proudly. I dont know too many sell outs who would make a record just to sabotage their own career. I mean, they lost millions of fans by not touring while battling with ticketmaster.

Indeed Sonic Youth are amazing, as a guitarist they inspire me, because I know I can create something amazing, I dont have to follow normal chord progressions, I can do crazy things on the guitar. I respect that.

To me, battling ticketmaster was a lost cause. That they went through with it makes me admire them more. I mean, could a band of hippies from Seattle really win against a multibilliondollar company?

I think pearl Jam went about things in their own way. Instead of making more songs that the public wanted, they did songs they wanted to.

The SNL appearance was odd, yet they played antiwar songs.

Pearl Jam has always been about doing what you want. Same with Sonic Youth.

Again, all you Pearl jam haters may not want to go see Sonic Youth live, my guess is both bands may even play songs together.
Old 05.03.2006, 04:53 PM   #18
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheguevara6
right, i mean, Pearl Jam kept making album like Ten or Vs, right?

I mean, they have released 8 albums and all have the same songs, eh?

I dont think you listen to pearl jam.

They released an album called no code, their is no anthemic rockers like Alive or Even Flow. Their single from that is called who you are. Its almost sounds like Theorou wrote the lyrics. This isnt some huge hit.

I think Pearl Jam could easily have continued doing videos, making millions doing interviews or whatever.

They didnt.

Eddie Vedder said he sabotaged his own career, and said it proudly. I dont know too many sell outs who would make a record just to sabotage their own career. I mean, they lost millions of fans by not touring while battling with ticketmaster.

Indeed Sonic Youth are amazing, as a guitarist they inspire me, because I know I can create something amazing, I dont have to follow normal chord progressions, I can do crazy things on the guitar. I respect that.

To me, battling ticketmaster was a lost cause. That they went through with it makes me admire them more. I mean, could a band of hippies from Seattle really win against a multibilliondollar company?

I think pearl Jam went about things in their own way. Instead of making more songs that the public wanted, they did songs they wanted to.

The SNL appearance was odd, yet they played antiwar songs.

Pearl Jam has always been about doing what you want. Same with Sonic Youth.

Again, all you Pearl jam haters may not want to go see Sonic Youth live, my guess is both bands may even play songs together.

Good thing I wasn't going to see SY with Pearl Jam.

Sell-outs or not. They made music I did not enjoy or connect with.
Old 05.03.2006, 04:56 PM   #19
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
Why do people have such a hard time accepting that everyone isn't going to like what you listen to, and just move on with it?

Another long and pointless post that tries to convince other people they are wrong for not listening to whatever band. Lame.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 04:57 PM   #20
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Yeah, I don't waste long posts. I get right to the point about a band sucking.

Try removing your head from your ass before you listen to Pearl Jam and then say it is good.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth