Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page i'm going to see My Bloody Valentine tonight
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.21.2009, 10:59 AM   #1
subq
empty page

subq has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i can't wait. I can't remember the last time i anticipated a show this much. Loveless was the soundtrack for my life when i was a 19 yr old wide eyed kid walking the streets of hollywood ca amazed by everything around me, out in the world for the first time ( i come from small town in tx w/ population of 2,000) anyone else going to show in austin tonight?
subq is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 11:36 AM   #2
friendcatcher
empty page

friendcatcher has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
yes...this will be killer. josh pearson from lift to experience is opening
friendcatcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 11:40 AM   #3
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
Eh, it just looked like a shitty slasher flick to me. I'm surprised it's still in theaters.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 11:41 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"lol".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 11:55 AM   #5
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I spent a good chunk of my morning debating with my friend whether or not he should see them in Dallas.

the tickets are fucking $37.00. I wouldn't pay that to see Sonic Youth.

add to that, I've yet to hear a recording of MBV live that wasn't completely washed-out. I'm not sure that the 30 layered guitars translate well live.

people with actual experience seeing them are encouraged to relate their experiences here so that I can pass it on. as of now, my friend is planning to just spend the money buying music.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 12:24 PM   #6
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen them live 3 times, and whilst they are a desperately overrated band at times (issue for another time) it's well worth the money. They put on a fucking incredible show, however don't expect Loveless to be lovingly reproduced my friend, they are almost two totally different bands live and recorded, intentionally and unintentionally.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 12:29 PM   #7
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
that's the problem. other than Loveless (and maybe Glider), both my friend and I agree, there just isn't much else there.

and again....$37.00. one more time: $37.00.

are they in the habit of passing out gold bricks during the show?

that might be the only thing that could convince me to pay that kind of money for a non-Loveless show. and by that kind of money, I mean, American money, not those silly pounds and euros that you people use. real stuff.
Old 04.21.2009, 12:44 PM   #8
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
$37 is pretty cheap really, especially if Josh Pearson is supporting - I paid something £35 ($50-odd) to see them last year...
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 01:35 PM   #9
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
$37 is fucking cheap compared to other asshole performers who sometimes charge double that
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 01:40 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Large amp, drum machine (or a drummer to play the same beat for 4 minutes), hit a note and use the whammy bar to bend it, go "ohhhhhhhhh" into a mic. $37? Nah.

Old 04.21.2009, 01:40 PM   #11
sarramkrop

My Bloody Valentine are officially a desease without a cure, no matter the amount of dough their fans are prepared to donate in order to find a cure for the virus.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 01:41 PM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
$37 is fucking cheap compared to other asshole performers who sometimes charge double that

But it's also in the region of 6 times the amount you'd pay to see a small band at a local venue. I mean, this is my take on things: if you think it's too much to pay, it's too much to pay. I tend to shudder a bit if I spend more than a fiver (that's $7.27 or so) on a rock show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 01:42 PM   #13
sarramkrop

NME reports that they will be changing direction, if the album that comes out in 3010 materialises. True story.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 01:42 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

It'd certainly help if MBV had actually made more than a couple of great songs.

Old 04.21.2009, 01:43 PM   #15
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
My Bloody Valentine are officially a desease without a cure, no matter the amount of dough their fans are prepared to donate in order to find a cure for the virus.

Well, quite. It's that conceit of 'indie' music. I mean, fair play for wanting to make some money, we all know rock 'n roll don't pay like it used to. It's all supply and demand. The Fall's problem will always be that they've not split up, because I'm sure they'd demand these sorts of prices if they stopped putting out records for a bit. I'd like to see MBV, but £10 like, not £arserape like.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.21.2009, 01:45 PM   #16
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
$37 is pretty cheap really
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
$37 is fucking cheap

yeah.....no.

$37.00 is fucking robbery.

and by robbery, I mean, I expect it to come with rape.
Old 04.21.2009, 01:46 PM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Knock knock!
Who's there?
Steve.
Steve who?
STEVE ME ALONE!

Old 04.21.2009, 01:50 PM   #18
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

dave's not here, man.
Old 04.21.2009, 02:02 PM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
yeah.....no.

$37.00 is fucking robbery.

and by robbery, I mean, I expect it to come with rape.

Yes. This one. Because anyone who thinks that is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a band really needs to go out and see more bands.

Quote:
Old 04.21.2009, 02:06 PM   #20
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
It depends. I've spent 65 EUR for a ticket to see Sonic Youth tomorrow and I don't think it's too much. Okay, it's a weekend pass but I'll stay only for tomorrow night only though, because the other days don't do anything for me. It depends on how much you want to go and see the band.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth