Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Crips and Bloods: Made in America (A Documentary)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.13.2009, 01:53 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
"A cluster of neighborhoods lies in the heart of Southern California, streets and boulevards forming a grid between concrete ribbons of freeway. Surrounded by the California Dream, this region has a legacy. It is heavily guarded, yet no one is protected. Nearly a quarter of its young men will end up in jail or prison. Many others will end up dead. These neighborhoods in South Los Angeles are home to two of America's most infamous African-American gangs, the Crips and the Bloods.
On these streets over the past 30 years, more than 15,000 people have been murdered in an ongoing cycle of gang violence that continues unabated. It was here, just a few miles from the gated communities and sprawling mansions of Beverly Hills and Bel Air, where this nation’s most bloody and costly outbreaks of civil unrest erupted — not once, but twice, 27 years and just three miles apart.
In Crips and Bloods: Made In America, renowned documentarian Stacy Peralta (Dogtown and Z Boys, Riding Giants) examines the story of South Los Angeles and the gangs that inhabit it. Blending gripping archival footage and photos with in-depth interviews of current and former gang members, educators, historians, family members and experts, Peralta brings his trademark dynamic visual style and story-telling ability to this often-ignored chapter of America's history. Hard- hitting, yet ultimately hopeful, Crips and Bloods: Made In America not only documents the emergence of the Bloods and the Crips and their growth beyond the borders of South Central, but also offers insight as to how this ongoing tragedy might be resolved."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_kIdrBWMsE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4pP-1NWoA

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 02:04 PM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
have you ever read the book Monster?

it's a must if you find this stuff interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Autobi.../dp/0802141447
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 02:33 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
This is a local movie of sorts, I pass through the neighborhoods in the film almost daily on the rails to get around town where I got to get to like work/volunteering/church

My church is literally on the corner of the Jordan Downs PJs on Long Beach Ave where a lot of this documentary was filmed. I am there at least twice a week strolling around seein whats poppin.

If you have never seen the street life of Los Angeles this film is truly an accurate glimpse into that life. Its not like the movies, its not that Boyz-in-Hood shit, its even more dramatically complicated.

The situations in the film, on these streets local to me, is the direct result of corruption. It is corruption in the local government, in the courts, in the police departments, in the probation offices, in the school boards, in the city councils, in the mayoral offices, in the school districts, in the zoning committees, in the adviseray boards, in all the local bullshit, fuck as far as I am concerned the city of Los Angeles as corrupt as fucking Zimbabwe, and the result is the buck-wild gorrilla youth of Los Angeles, who mob and kill each other daily. fucking dailly. there aren't enough hail mary's to give proper memorial for the amount of youth ending up in caskets. Its daily, and it hasn't stopped in twenty years, my entire life has been a product of this environment, my entire generation and now the kids we are raising, know this violence and this corruption as a part of daily reality. why do we continue to accept it? Becasue most of the people in suburban Los ANgeles, in the State of California, in the United States as a country, in the world in general, think LA is what they see on TMZ....
LOS ANGELES HAS FAILED ITS YOUTH. THE SCHOOLS, THE COURTS, AND ESPECIALLY THE PEOPLE COLLECTIVELY HAVE FAILED THE YOUTH.

and we only continue this shit as Viaragosa continues to increase the police state atmosphere of LA (shit I had to buy a ball cap cuz I GET ROLLED UP BY POLICE THREE TIMES A WEEK AT LEAST WITH THIS BALD HEAD!!!) by increasing the police presence, increasing the war on gangs, sending even more and more youth to prison to continue to cycle of crime, poverty and disenfranchisement...

as long as nobody gives a shit, these youth will not give a shit about themselves. This is why I get off the train in the hood with pride, and spread that love around to build up a bit of love. You only get what you give, and from my city I want to get love, so I give it out freely. Whats the worst these brothers can do to me? Rob me? Kill me? Shit, they can only do what is delivered by the hand of my God, but through His Grace alone I come there continually to spread that love. And thus far, I have only gotten it back in return with no trouble..

Folks out there, if you know this life, do what you can to make a difference. If you don't know this life, catch this film and try to empathize for a minute with the hopeless cycle which has been created in these hoodz, have a little sympathy as well, and try to stop those who cast judgment and continue this bullshit "war" on gangs, which just provokes more and more cycles of violence, corruption and poverty. Love is the solution for peace, violence begets violence, corruption begets corruption..

do what you can y'all...

peace and love,
Habte Selassie

Old 05.13.2009, 02:34 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

The Amer-I-Can Program

Jim Brown
269 South Beverly Drive #1048
Los Angeles, CA 90212 (310) 652-7884 Phone http://www.amer-i-can.org/
info@amer-i-can.org

Unity One

Lechein Taylor
(323) 228-3592 Phone
(323) 933-7636 Fax
http://www.unityonenow.com
lasheentaylor@yahoo.com "

Maximum Force Enterprises

Aquil Basheer
The Crisis Survival Training Center
The B.U.I.L.D. Youth Empowerment Program (Brotherhood for Independent Leadership through Discipline)
1409 West Vernon Ave.
Los Angeles, CA. 90010
(323) 295-1904 Office
(323) 294-1223 Fax
http://www.maximumforceenterprises.com
takechargeinc@aol.com

Project Cry No More

Vicky D. Lindsey, Executive Director / Founder
(non profit 501(c)(3) support group for murdered victims’ loved ones)
Mailing Address:
622 S. Keene Ave.
Compton, CA. 90220
(310) 438-0075 (direct)
projectcrynomore@aol.com
The Reverence Project

Aqeela Sherrills
Mailing Address:
9101 Hooper Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90002
http://www.TheReverenceProject.com
http://www.wattsarts.com

UNITY TWO, Chapter 2

“Pete” Cavitt
Mailing Address:
207 W. 74th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90003
(323) 758-4657 Phone
(323) 719-4290 Phone
jeraldcavitt1@sbcglobal.net /
Advancement Project Los Angeles

Connie Rice, Co-Director
1545 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 800
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 989.1300 Phone
(213)989.1309 Phone
http://www.advanceproj.org

SideWalk University: A Pro-Gang Institute

T. Rodgers Ph.G, Gangologist
“FORGIVENESS ONE HUMAN BEING AT A TIME; A LIFE EXPERIENCE”
The one the OG bangers call!
Mailing Address:
P.O.BOX 191795
LOS ANGELES*CA.*90019
(323) 294-2649 phone
(323) 295-0331 fax
sidewalku@hotmail.com
http://www.trodgers.com

2nd Call

Skipp Townsend
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 191476
Los Angeles, CA 90019
(310) 916-1902
http://2ndcall.org
skipptownsend@yahoo.com

C.H.A.N.G.E.

Don Won
9329 E. Cedar Street Apt. #11
Bellflower, CA 90706
(562) 965-4040 Phone
http://www.castinghopeforchange.com
myprochange@yahoo.com

Building Communities and Families

Maniac Bey
6590 Long Beach Blvd., #230
Long Beach, CA 90805
(562) 413-5572 Phone
(714) 827-5070 Fax
http://www.b-c-f.org
buildingcf@yahoo.com

Homeboy Industries

130 W. Bruno St. Los Angeles, CA 90012
(323) 526-1254 (Phone)
(323) 526-1257 (Fax)
http://www.homeboy-industries.org
info@homeboy-industries.org

Films by Youth Inside

Alex Munoz-Creative Director
8320 Lincoln Blvd #202
Los Angeles, CA 90045
310-980-0134 Phone
http://www.fyifilms.org
alex@fyifilms.org

Voices Behind the Walls

Apollo Payne
(323)445-5459Phone
voicesbehindthewalls.com
jpapollombp@yahoo.com

Old 05.13.2009, 06:37 PM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

my only issue with this film is that it did not even touch on the black panther connections to the origin of the CRIPS (Community Revolution In Progress) which essentially was founded as a street gang arm of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Black Panther.

The LA panthers, under murdered Bunchy Carter in the late 1960s were implementing a combination of community outreach programs like Breakfast programs, food banks, after-school activities, neighborhood restoration, and also small-time crime like robbery, theft, civil disobedience, and gang rivalries. The Panthers were in a sense using the CRIPS as a street arm of the Panthers, to infiltrate and compete with the popular and growing street gangs, party crews and car clubs which had thoroughly saturated South and East Los Angeles. This whole gang culture evolved from the crucible of these neighborhoods, as weekend dances and car club rivalries escalated into gang violence and drug dealing, with a little help from various government agencies and other saboteours out to make a dollar of the misery of the poor..

The CRIPS devolved into a violent and aggressive street gang as A DIRECT RESULT of the persuction and forced removal of the Black Panther Party, through assassinations, arrests, police brutality and infilitration by the FBI and other agencies, both acting on the government's behalf and as rouge mercenaries...

these youth were provoked. From 1965-1970, the LAPD (who in fact coined the term 'gang') reported almost no criminal activity in black neighborhoods, they said all the youth were to damned busy working with outreach and political organizations! how far have we sunk...

Its a shame really what it became in the 1970s through today.. but the opportunity to use this gang infrastructure to reorganize under Black Panther ideals of community outreach and grass-roots organization is still possible, this was proven in 93-94 with all the temporary truces and peace treaties between LA Crips and Bloods, but since the city of Los Angeles failed to live up to its end to the bargains and in fact took advantage of the gangs kindness as weakness arresting many and increasing police brutality, the gangs picked up where they left off.

Well its time to pick up where the Panthers left off in 1969-1970. Los Angeles, we burnt down this city twice now and what have we rebuilt? The same bullshit!

Old 05.13.2009, 07:34 PM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
it's incredible just how many street gangs turn from being beneficial community organizations into something more akin to a terrorist cell.

I blame drugs.
Old 05.13.2009, 07:43 PM   #7
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Out of interest, is there any significant differences between the CRIPS and the Bloods? I know most people choose one over the other based on where they live, friends or relatives that are already members, etc, but is there any kind of differing code between the two? I'm talking about now, not when the CRIPS were associated with the Black Panthers.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 07:59 PM   #8
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

the bloods were originally a splinter of the crips called the pirus (pie-roos).

drugs and the territory to control them ruined the friendship. after that, bloods started popping up everywhere there were problems with crips.

traditionally, crips were more likely to rob and steal, while the bloods were into selling rock.

I'm pretty sure they all sell drugs now though.
Old 05.13.2009, 08:08 PM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
So basically they're two sides of the same coin. There's no reason to join one over the other for any other reason other than neighbourhood of personal loyalty. Are there any significant ethnic differences between the two? I have to admit that I do find all this really interesting. I think there's a danger of people (especially those not directly connected with it) using this interest to glamorise or romanticise gang culture, It is fascinating though.

Great thread.
Old 05.13.2009, 08:34 PM   #10
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

these days it all seems the same. there's only so much dirt you can do, and if yr hardcore, you've done it all.

although both the crips and the bloods are mainly black gangs, they take in everybody that's willing to put in work (I've heard of cambodian crips).

the main racial exception in american gangs is latinos. they become gravitationally consumed by either La eMe (mexican mafia) or Nuestra Familia (our family).

all of these gangs tend to take orders from higher-ups in prison.

I think that the main black prison gang is the Black Guerrilla Family (including both Bloods and Crips) and with the whites it's the Aryan Brotherhood (o, joy).
Old 05.13.2009, 08:53 PM   #11
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I saw a documentary about the Aryan Brotherhood. From what I could gather they seemed to be a primarily prison-based organisation. Do they actually have a significant street-level base?
Old 05.13.2009, 08:57 PM   #12
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

I image that white people interested in maintaining that lifestyle outside of prison end up either in the KKK or a skinhead / biker gang.

but there are white bloods and crips too, so really, the sky's the limit!

honestly though, I'm not that knowledgeable about white gangs. nazis make me short-circuit.

[edits: yes, please]
Old 05.13.2009, 09:12 PM   #13
demonrail666
invito al cielo

There's been a couple of documentaries made by the BBC that looked at American Nazi skinhead culture. It was sort of hard to see what they actually did, besides listen to old blokes babble on about the holocaust and slamdance to Wagner.
Old 05.13.2009, 09:32 PM   #14
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

you forgot spray-painting synagogues and beating up on blacks/gays.

while I understand a lifestyle born out of poverty and necessity, I fail to see any logic in racism (or whatever ism get's yr rocks off).

the main bond between all of these gangs is a pathological condition of human nature.
Old 05.13.2009, 09:36 PM   #15
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I watched this doc on gangland all over the country. Apparently the bloods and crips tried to move into new orleans and in a matter of days were all killed by the "gotti" boys of New orleans. Apparently they're the most vicious of em all.

Either way, anything started with a good cause will be consumed by greed and etc. and the drugs like crack didn't help gang violence any.

I am saddened how no matter what, for some people it's the only life they know at birth. They are born into a cycle that's been going on for years, and will bring children into this world that have the same lack of choice.

THAT scares the shit out of me.

But unfortunately, it's the only way some of them can survive because of corruption.

What I wanna know is are most of the killings related to gang on gang members/the ppl buying the drugs or is most of it, sadly, wrong place wrong time shit, and whether you're apart of what's going down, you might get killed?
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.13.2009, 09:45 PM   #16
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
What I wanna know is are most of the killings related to gang on gang members/the ppl buying the drugs or is most of it, sadly, wrong place wrong time shit, and whether you're apart of what's going down, you might get killed?

I don't have police statistics, and I'm sure that it varies from town to town.

living in a gang-infested area can get you shot due to random ballistics. when you shoot yr gun in the air, it comes down somewhere.

years ago, the most notorious gang was a group of Jamaicans that operated out of Texas. once, in dallas, they herded a family of mexicans into a bathroom of a hotel and left a bloody mess. I can't recall what they called themselves though. Rude Boys or something stupid, I think.
Old 05.13.2009, 10:35 PM   #17
demonrail666
invito al cielo

That Jamaican gang you talk about sounds like something that has been an issue in the UK for a few years with Jamaican 'yardies' coming into the country (often straight from jail). They're extremely violent and have a whole culture of 'honour killings' that can lead to person who disrespected them in some way having them and their family killed as a result - which seems to have been the case with that Mexican family you mention. Very scary stuff.
Old 05.14.2009, 12:34 AM   #18
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
the top jamaican gangster in the uk was ranking dread all through the 80's, and his drug selling network is still in use and you might have gotten weed through it.

he's also known for recording hardcore gangster songs like "i love my mammy" "lot's of lovin" and "god blessed children"

wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2009, 09:14 AM   #19
Disgruntled Youth
the end of the ugly

Disgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's assesDisgruntled Youth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I don't have police statistics, and I'm sure that it varies from town to town.

living in a gang-infested area can get you shot due to random ballistics. when you shoot yr gun in the air, it comes down somewhere.

years ago, the most notorious gang was a group of Jamaicans that operated out of Texas. once, in dallas, they herded a family of mexicans into a bathroom of a hotel and left a bloody mess. I can't recall what they called themselves though. Rude Boys or something stupid, I think.

That's crazy cause Tenor Saw was found dead in Texas & no one seems to know why...

"Drink Guinness & live,
Hate Guinness & die"
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Disgruntled Youth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.14.2009, 09:39 AM   #20
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I always thought it was "crypts". No?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth