Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.01.2016, 12:05 PM   #961
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Neglected to answer: FLYING CIRCUS has been on DVD for quite a while. A decade? Before that, VHS copies had been available. Before that, I was lucky to have a cousin who had a bunch taped from somewhere. Episodes aren't obscure and I'm simply surprised that someone who would enjoy them has yet to see them. That's all.

i don't know if your surprise came across as such-- your suggestions for discovery seemed to be dripping with sarcasm more than shock.

like, not having access to your cousin's pirate tapes or you local video store that closed in 2002 deserves mockery? i find that smug.

but hey, maybe i'm "sensitive." sue me.

Quote:
Neg repped and blocked.

noooo! my heart. i'm mortally wounded

the hedgehog's dilemma wins today

but seriously man, that still looks like a putdown. fuck you twice and let's just move on.

/last word
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2016, 12:13 PM   #962
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
^ what he said minus the neg repping and blocking stuff

I just thought the same thing evillove did. Monty Python = Beatles of comedy.. Shakespeare of comedy. I pretty much just go through life assuming that the only people who don't love MP are the people who hate MP for one reason or another. And a lot of their classic stuff was born on Flying Circus.

I don't personally have the series on DVD or anything either though. No disrespect intended.

Edit: EL's comment also reminded me of that scene in High Fidelity when Rob lists "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as one of his favorite track 1, side 1 songs of all time. And then Barry says something like "How about the Beatles? Or fucking Beethoven?!"

Hah.
be a surprised as you like, but i had wide access to the biggest video rental places in DC and we never saw such tapes. only the movies which i've watched several times. i've always asked around and never saw them.

i need new different cousins. preferrably outside of the 3rd world country where they live, speaking mexican, far from the light.

anyway this is just the first time i find it on a rental. just saw it on amazon and fuck if i'm gonna pay $300 for a tv show.
Old 12.01.2016, 12:31 PM   #963
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

Ok. You can have the last word.

(Ha! See what I did?)

I've been 100% fucking with you all day, in good jesting fun. We're not communicating well. I'm guessing the problem is that I'm a better person than you in every respect.

btw, did you finish CRISIS IN SIX ACTS? I watched the first episode and got a "good but not great" vibe, but I can see how it could improve as it goes on.

----

I confused Trailer Park Boys with Jerky Boys! Had few WTF? moments. I'll definitely give the first few episodes a shot.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2016, 12:33 PM   #964
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
be a surprised as you like, but i had wide access to the biggest video rental places in DC and we never saw such tapes. only the movies which i've watched several times. i've always asked around and never saw them.

i need new different cousins. preferrably outside of the 3rd world country where they live, speaking mexican, far from the light.

anyway this is just the first time i find it on a rental. just saw it on amazon and fuck if i'm gonna pay $300 for a tv show.

I swear I wasn't trying to be snarky. I just thought evollove's reply was funny in a "we're laughing together!" kind of way.

Like I said, I don't have that stuff either, never have.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2016, 12:38 PM   #965
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Shouldn't have said anything. Meant zero offense to anyone, but it doesn't really matter if someone took offense. My apologies Symbols.
Old 12.01.2016, 12:50 PM   #966
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ok. You can have the last word.

(Ha! See what I did?)

yes. it's fine! *cough* chervania! *cough*

Quote:
I've been 100% fucking with you all day, in good jesting fun. We're not communicating well. I'm guessing the problem is that I'm a better person than you in every respect.

i know you are... for sure all smug liberals are better than me. i'm just a garden variety liberal. thus, inferior. brother, can you spare a dime?

but okay, i'll try to read your ironies with further care and maybe i'll guess the meaning correctly next time. i'll apply myself.

Quote:
btw, did you finish CRISIS IN SIX ACTS? I watched the first episode and got a "good but not great" vibe, but I can see how it could improve as it goes on.

haven't finished yet, have 2 episodes to go. i've been having a problem streaming amazon video down my satellite antenna lately, so i have it bookmarked for when i'm in faster internets.

up to episode 4 it's okay but not great or satisfyingly good. at times it's a bit too theatrical-- 2 people sitting in a room having a "dialogue", and it feels stilted, and the camera doesn't help because it just sits in the room. kinda like a soap opera. better than a soap opera for sure, and it has some funny lines, but it's missing something--it's not like i'm impatient to watch the rest, although i eventually will. 3 out of 5 i guess, so far.
Old 12.01.2016, 12:55 PM   #967
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it is a "mockumentary" show about the residents of a low-budget tailer park in bumfuck Nova Scotia. The main characters are recidivist criminal lowlife who did not graduate high school and who have to constantly scheme to make money. The first 6 seasons or so are fucking genius shit, very well done, filmed in a very improvisational manner, where the actors flesh out their characters as they see fit. After season 7 they stopped filming on a location and bought out a trailer park to film in so the "look" of it changed a bit. If you have ever known or lived or been a poor person among a lot of other poor people it will hit home like a motherfucker. while it is very funny it is also extremely insightful as it shows the way that the lower-class canadians live.

so much drinking......
thanks dude, i'll add it to my tv show queue
Old 12.01.2016, 01:13 PM   #968
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
a great new Canadian comedy, IMO, is Letterkenny. I've finished season 1 and am now most of the way thru Dirk Gently, it's kind of so/so, I think, Douglas Adams never really did it for me that much.....

Letterkenny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2016, 01:53 PM   #969
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I swear I wasn't trying to be snarky. I just thought evollove's reply was funny in a "we're laughing together!" kind of way.

Like I said, I don't have that stuff either, never have.

lol don't worry man. it was just some shit-talking. let's move on! moveon.org

yeah just sent you pm all good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
a great new Canadian comedy, IMO, is Letterkenny. I've finished season 1 and am now most of the way thru Dirk Gently, it's kind of so/so, I think, Douglas Adams never really did it for me that much.....

Letterkenny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rSBmOgpcDE

wait, dirk gently is written by douglas adams?

i'll check out letterkenny

damn, so much teevee

--

ETA-- that trailer was funny!
Old 12.01.2016, 04:04 PM   #970
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

crisis in six scenes, part 2

SO, i just finished it during lunch (it was a long lunch)

overall i'd say it was... "cute." it wasn't really very good but it wasn't bad/unpleasant either. it had chuckleworthy jokes throughout, not a lot of big laughs. if you're a fan of the guy's work this will ring a lot of bells with stuff from bananas to bullets over broadway, etc etc.

overall though like i said the dialogue seemed a bit stilted and i noticed that there was a beat or two between each character. like, really long pauses. i don't know why-- seems like a directorial choice.

the funniest/my favorite character was elaine may, who plays frenchy's cousin may in small time crooks. she's so... peculiar, ha ha ha.

but overall it's kinda... a low blood pressure type of show. jokes/lines repeat too much, scenes moves slowly, jokes are telegraphed, etc. some people might get bored. ah, i really wanted to like it more.
Old 12.01.2016, 04:24 PM   #971
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

wait, dirk gently is written by douglas adams?

Old 12.01.2016, 05:06 PM   #972
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

in my confused brain i mixed it up with douglas coupland-- who is, well, canadian, and i imagined him writing shows--as novelists do now

[eta: of course he does TV now: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1194190/ }

too many douglases. like fairbanks.

but he wasn't canadian :/
Old 12.01.2016, 05:57 PM   #973
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
it is a "mockumentary" show about the residents of a low-budget tailer park in bumfuck Nova Scotia. The main characters are recidivist criminal lowlife who did not graduate high school and who have to constantly scheme to make money. The first 6 seasons or so are fucking genius shit, very well done, filmed in a very improvisational manner, where the actors flesh out their characters as they see fit. After season 7 they stopped filming on a location and bought out a trailer park to film in so the "look" of it changed a bit. If you have ever known or lived or been a poor person among a lot of other poor people it will hit home like a motherfucker. while it is very funny it is also extremely insightful as it shows the way that the lower-class canadians live.

so much drinking......

Ok now I want to see it.

Weird how that works yeah? Years of people screaming OMGWATCHTHISTHING in my face and I feel no need to. Then one paragraph Rob and it's all queued up.
Old 12.05.2016, 10:43 AM   #974
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I watched a few TRAILER PARK BOYS. It reminded me of RENO 911: it's amusing and I like the characters, but I keep waiting for big laughs to come and they never do. And maybe I watched the wrong season but it wasn't at all improvisational. In fact, the acting kinda sucks. I liked it okay, but I didn't laugh out loud once.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2016, 10:52 AM   #975
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it is all improv for the most part. not the improv of a stage sketch comedy show but more like Christopher Guest films.
Old 12.05.2016, 11:03 AM   #976
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

orange is the new black season 3 has improved over season 2 i think

season 2 was a fucking cartoon-- typical jenji kohan move to turn a great idea into a caricature (e.g. "weeds" which started awesome & ended so pointless & irrelevant--but yes i watched all like a sucker)

the ship seems to have been righted for s3-- good for her/the studio/whoever, so far. though s.5 is about to start lol-- so i'm behind here a couple of seasons
Old 12.05.2016, 12:14 PM   #977
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
orange is the new black season 3 has improved over season 2 i think

season 2 was a fucking cartoon-- typical jenji kohan move to turn a great idea into a caricature (e.g. "weeds" which started awesome & ended so pointless & irrelevant--but yes i watched all like a sucker)

the ship seems to have been righted for s3-- good for her/the studio/whoever, so far. though s.5 is about to start lol-- so i'm behind here a couple of seasons

I strongly disliked season 2. Season 3 got pretty damn stupid too if you ask me. You can see where the "true story" element kind of falls off a cliff and the "make more seasons because it's successful" but takes over. The characters start to act like dramatized versions of themselves (which, of corse, they are.. lol.. but now they seem like dramatizations of a dramatization), and the reality of the story sort of peels away.

I think Season 4 is pretty good. Probably the best all around since season 1.
Old 12.05.2016, 12:20 PM   #978
Severian
invito al cielo

I've been watching this for the past few days. Took me forever to finally finish the first season (started it when it came out, got sick of all the rapey stuff and didn't watch the last 2 episodes until ... last week. Hah.

So much rape!!! Like, gobs of rape and violent sex shit. Blech!! Entertaining enough story, but this show is definitely some low-ass hanging fruit in terms of actual quality.

Hope they do a Cthulu season. They're hashing through all the horror tropes, season by season, and what better way to end it than with the most evil creature in the history of this or any universe? Fuck yeah Lovecraft!
Old 12.05.2016, 12:44 PM   #979
ilduclo
invito al cielo

yeah, I can't remember what season I tried to watch, but it was the Richard Speck story, I got about 10 minutes into it, then tossed it.

Right now, we're watching and enjoying Humans Season 2.

I'd much rather look at these eyes......

Old 12.05.2016, 07:21 PM   #980
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah, I can't remember what season I tried to watch, but it was the Richard Speck story, I got about 10 minutes into it, then tossed it.

Right now, we're watching and enjoying Humans Season 2.

I'd much rather look at these eyes......

Richard Speck? Wasn't that in the first season? Some backstory based on the whatshisname doctor and killing nurses?

If so I bailed on that shit too, like I said. Too much motherfucking rape and outright disgusting shit for me to willingly take in. I returned to that season, eventually finished it and then went on to the second, but so far I've needed many breaks from that as well. Been watching it with the girlfriend, who really likes it and somehow isn't bothered by rape scenes like I am, and I've just said "fuck this" and left the room to go do other shit a number of times.

I worked from home to get away from that shit. On a *Sunday* when... wh-when... when it wasn't strictly necessary and I totally could have done it all the next day!!!

Oh, the American horror!!!
464748 49 5051525999149 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth