Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bands You Are Curious About Hearing
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.15.2006, 11:12 AM   #141
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
I have alway wanted to hear that collaboration haino did with COA, but I can't find it anywhere. Would anyone want to share it?

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 12:04 PM   #142
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i really like Next Let Us Try Changing The Shape a lot, and Koko is great, as is the collaboartion with COA and the one with jean-francois pauvros.

which nijiumu record his that, his solo one or nijiumu - era of sad wings?

i've never heard affection, but it always gets sited as being one of his best solo records, what's it like & how come you don't like it?

Nijiumu - solo. It sounds solo. It's an exceptionally black sleeve. Not even the silver PSF info on the spine. The plastic case it was in at sound323 (AKA my favourite rekkid store) had Nijiumu on it. It's a percussion/ hurdy gurdy thing. My ex thought it sounded like a lot of cats dying underwater in slow motion.

Affection... It's one long, fairly sparse track. It seems to go in waves, more like a song-cycle than an improv thing. It's pleasant enough, but more than any other album I get the impression the lyrics are really the important thing. And, like every good Englishman, I speak not a jot of Japanese.

PM me this eve and I'll YSI it for you if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 12:06 PM   #143
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I think i have that one.You can read fuck all on it.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 12:41 PM   #144
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm torn on the subject of oblique packaging. When Franciso Lopez/ Haino do it, I admire the artwork as ultraminimalist expressions common to the music. I really like that label that put out the Sachiko M/ Toshimaru Nakamura duo (amongst others) where the packaging is pure white. A lot of the time, however, it does my nut when it's some cdr from nowhere. I often wonder why they do it. With Haino particularly I have a section in the record collection devoted to him. It's easy to find his stuff. With a cdr without information I have to actually look at the sleeve and decide to listen to it. Which mean, given that I usually choose my listening by spine, I rarely bother to listen.

Anyone else have any opinions, or even care in the slightest?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.15.2006, 01:50 PM   #145
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
My cds are so disorganised at the moment I mostly listen to stuff which is piled in front of me on my desk which is mainly the stuff I have bought recently but also includes things I have remembered and pulled out to listen to and not bothered to put away. Then I have some shoe boxes on my other desk in no special order except one which has mostly cdrs and stuff in odd packaging and then I have one of those big case things with about 150 cds in with no cases. But it's mostly stuff piled around my monitor which sounds like a small selection but it's probably about 50-75 cds.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 07:40 PM   #146
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Nijiumu - solo. It sounds solo. It's an exceptionally black sleeve.

Affection...
PM me this eve and I'll YSI it for you if you want.

thanks, but i don't have enough space on my hard drive at the moment for more music, sadly. i'll buy it sooner or later though.

haino had a group called nijiumu, i think they put out two records, of which i have one, this:
era of sad wings

and then he put out a solo record called nijiumu too, which sounds like the one you have.

on the suject of CD of oblique and minimal packaging, what irritates me are the london improv type sleeve where it's just a plastic case with slip of paper saying who is playing, or CDs that just have this typical 90s graphic design aesthetic where the sleve is pale grey with a one photo of an ordinary looking modern building, it's a completely different kettle of fish than a haino CD (the psf ones at least) where you can see they've been very selective about the weight and quality of the paper, the type of ink, the printing process, it's obviously all thoughtfully considered.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 08:18 PM   #147
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, the design of Withdrawe... is clearly somewhat inept whereas Allegorical Misunderstanding which wasn't a psf release I believe, stands out in its favour. And that's not probably even among the best haino covers (I haven't seen or felt others).

How's Lost Aaraaf? I haven't yet got around to check that material out. Is the Live one (on PSF) worth hearing?

And what's this then?

Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 08:51 PM   #148
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
Yeah, the design of Withdrawe... is clearly somewhat inept whereas Allegorical Misunderstanding which wasn't a psf release I believe, stands out in it's favour. And that's not probably even among the best haino covers (I haven't seen or felt others).

How's Lost Aaraaf? I haven't yet got around to check that material out. Is the Live one (on PSF) worth hearing?

And what's this then?

did haino play as part of sunn o))) at victoriaville?!

i heard some lost aaraaf a few years ago but i remember not being particularly impressed, it's haino's band from the 70s, i can't remember what it sounded like though. i haven't been particularly impressed by any of haino's 70s/early 80s stuff yet though.
Old 06.15.2006, 08:58 PM   #149
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
The idea of 19 year old keiji haino is almost inconceivable.

Quote:
did haino play as part of sunn o))) at victoriaville?!

At least nothing on victoriaville site indicates that they did perform together. I was going to ask what would you think about it if such event ever happened, but wasn't sure if they had done it already..
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.15.2006, 09:06 PM   #150
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
The idea of 19 year old keiji haino is almost inconceivable.

completely, he's one of those guys like sun ra who it is impossible to imagine being caught up in such mortal trappings as aging, growing up, having a family or any relatives, getting married or having kids. etc.
Old 06.16.2006, 05:22 AM   #151
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
on the suject of CD of oblique and minimal packaging, what irritates me are the london improv type sleeve where it's just a plastic case with slip of paper saying who is playing, or CDs that just have this typical 90s graphic design aesthetic where the sleve is pale grey with a one photo of an ordinary looking modern building, it's a completely different kettle of fish than a haino CD (the psf ones at least) where you can see they've been very selective about the weight and quality of the paper, the type of ink, the printing process, it's obviously all thoughtfully considered.

Yesyes yeses yeseyeseesyes.

On a similar note, the Mego sleeves were great for a while, but too many people seem to be trying to borrow the company design now.

Haino wasn't ever 19. It's a lie. He's always existed, surely?

I can imagine him playing with Sunn. I can imagine it being a very, very loud thing indeed. Wouldn't be that different from the Boris set I assume (having yet to hear the Boris set).

Quote:
Old 06.16.2006, 08:22 AM   #152
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
TELEVISION

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 09:27 AM   #153
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
completely, he's one of those guys like sun ra who it is impossible to imagine being caught up in such mortal trappings as aging, growing up, having a family or any relatives, getting married or having kids. etc.

We have a Fred Frith box set from 1981 at my work; live Japanese shows, Japanese pressing (I would buy it but it's too expensive for me). It has a booklet inside that shows Fred with Keiji Haino back then. Haino looks exactly the same!
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 09:37 AM   #154
Glice
invito al cielo

Dare I ask how much?

Quote:
Old 06.16.2006, 09:40 AM   #155
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
It's 90 dollars.
It's the cheapest one on the web that I could find (last time I checked), but even with my employee discount I am not in the position to pick that one up.
I did give it a listen though. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Old 06.16.2006, 09:55 AM   #156
Glice
invito al cielo

Ah, not too crippling then. I don't have enough Frith to warrant a box-set (or perhaps that's the wrong way round?) but perhaps in time I will. I've still got my eyes on the TG24 box set though. I'm not saying where it is in case any other bugger's looking for it.

Quote:
Old 06.16.2006, 09:56 AM   #157
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Original attache case?
Fucking A!
Old 06.16.2006, 10:37 AM   #158
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Ah, not too crippling then. I don't have enough Frith to warrant a box-set (or perhaps that's the wrong way round?) but perhaps in time I will. I've still got my eyes on the TG24 box set though. I'm not saying where it is in case any other bugger's looking for it.

most independent shops in london have it behind the counter. i've got my eyes on the recent albert ayler box, the art ensemble of chicago 67/68 box and guided by voices suitcase box
Old 06.16.2006, 10:38 AM   #159
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
most independent shops in london have it behind the counter. i've got my eyes on the recent albert ayler box, the art ensemble of chicago 67/68 box and guided by voices suitcase box

Ah yes, the Ayler box. I have that.

Quote:
Old 06.16.2006, 10:39 AM   #160
Glice
invito al cielo

Alright, so I haven't, but you were jealous for just a little second there, weren't you?

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth