Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page SKRONK
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.11.2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The sound of Sonic Youth, to me, is one defined by Skronk.

Skronk is any sound created by musical instruments that is not classifiable as actual chords, notes, etc. feedback is skronk. distortion adds skronk. a drill to a fretboard is pure ever-lovin skronk.

Skronk is my favorite musical "sound"

It is what I look for in my rockin music, and in much of my jazz collection

The sound of the last 4 minutes of MOTE for instance, is the greatest sound of my life.
Old 08.11.2010, 10:51 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Except only their first couple of albums are very "SKRONKY" at all, if we're talking about your definition. There are moments here or there since then of "skronk" but what defines the band is their alt. tuned riffs, imo.

Fuck skronky, let's talk about wonky.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2010, 10:53 AM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I live for the times in Sonioc Youth songs where the skronk flies free, and this is why I love their lve show so much. whereas many bands will "hjam" on a song, improvising and adding musical flourishes, Sonic Youth do their improvising with skronk.

they can and will break a song down at any npoint and take it to another world of skronk. It is in these momenst that I totally lose myself at a sonic youth show.

sometimes skronk is the main riff in a song, like Inhuman, which is so skronkalicious as to be the Instigator National Anthem.
tHAT SONG IS SO FUCKING GREAT.

These topuches are what make sonic youth my favorite band, for no other band has truly combined melody and skronk, beauty and ugliness, peacefulness and chaos, the soft lilting voice of lee ranaldo backed by his wall of skronk is the single greatest shit in my musical life.

Most of the bands I love in rock have the skronk.

Polvo
Unwound
Butthole Surfers
Dinosaur Jr

the skronk is what I live for.
Old 08.11.2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Except only their first couple of albums are very "SKRONKY" at all, if we're talking about your definition. There are moments here or there since then of "skronk" but what defines the band is their alt. tuned riffs, imo.

Fuck skronky, let's talk about wonky.

You are not listening to their music righht then if you do not hear the skronk, ever more carefully placed for sure, but still there
it is in everything they do
Old 08.11.2010, 10:55 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hm, I don't think Polvo is skronky at all. They have alt-tuned riffs, again, but they're actually extremely melodic, complex, and musical at nearly all times. The only thing I can think being skronky is the keyboard in TIME ISN'T ON MY SIDE, that one that just bangs away.

Old 08.11.2010, 10:56 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
You are not listening to their music righht then if you do not hear the skronk, ever more carefully placed for sure, but still there
it is in everything they do

Uh, you defined SKRONK as "not having chords" "not having riffs" etc. That's in the first post! Yeah, of course it's always there a bit, but .. most bands have it in the background a little bit.. even THE VINES.

Old 08.11.2010, 10:57 AM   #7
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

skronk is the way and the life.

It brings forth the true ectsasy in my brain

Listening to the last 2 minutes of Pattern Recognition makes me so happy. There is skronk a plenty there and if you choose to ignore it so be it.

skronk is a part of what sonic youth do. not all of it. that is why sonic youth never get boring. always mixing it up.

Skronk

The way the slowly building and beautifully lilting skronk kicks off I Love You Golden Blue. It is so beautiful. I live for driving at midninght and that song comes on LOUD in the old toyota camry LE

Skronk is the sound of my internal dialogue.

It is the one musical sound that most fits with the "sound" I hear inside my head at all times.

for some people that is hard to understand, but many know what I speak of.
Old 08.11.2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Uh, you defined SKRONK as "not having chords" "not having riffs" etc. That's in the first post! Yeah, of course it's always there a bit, but .. most bands have it in the background a little bit.. even THE VINES.

you gotta get yr head out of yr techno ass man.

I defined skronk in my first post. I did NOT say a song had to have ONLY skronk it to qualify. Read better. I said skronk is an integral part of what sonic yotuh DO and that they are the masters at combining beauty and skronk, melody and skronk, riffs, then skronk

READ BETTER

I think techno msuic is making yr brain see things in purely didactic binary terms my friend.

put the techno down. it is killing yr skronk organs.
Old 08.11.2010, 11:06 AM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

Not skronk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2010, 11:07 AM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

" I said skronk is an integral part of what sonic yotuh DO and that they are the masters at combining beauty and skronk, melody and skronk, riffs, then skronk"

Actually, you never said that, in any way, and this thread is just an excuse to namedrop the same 5 bands that you always do.

Why not listen to something new for once? Like Yolz in the Sky? Now there's a cool skronk band.

Old 08.11.2010, 11:09 AM   #12
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 08.11.2010, 11:11 AM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Skronk is any sound created by musical instruments that is not classifiable as actual chords, notes, etc. feedback is skronk. distortion adds skronk. a drill to a fretboard is pure ever-lovin skronk.

Sonic Youth use classifiable chords. Always have done, always will. Using a distortion pedal or drill is a timbral effect - it still has a note-value.

Quote:
Old 08.11.2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
" I said skronk is an integral part of what sonic yotuh DO and that they are the masters at combining beauty and skronk, melody and skronk, riffs, then skronk"

Actually, you never said that, in any way, and this thread is just an excuse to namedrop the same 5 bands that you always do.

Why not listen to something new for once? Like Yolz in the Sky? Now there's a cool skronk band.

re read please,

The sound of Sonic Youth, to me, is one defined by Skronk.

Skronk is my favorite musical "sound"

It is what I look for in my rockin music, and in much of my jazz collection

The sound of the last 4 minutes of MOTE for instance, is the greatest sound of my life.
Old 08.11.2010, 11:13 AM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I've read it 3 times now and all I can think of is, "I'm glad I stopped taking Rob seriously that one time when he said Captain Beefheart sucks."

Old 08.11.2010, 11:15 AM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Sonic Youth use classifiable chords. Always have done, always will. Using a distortion pedal or drill is a timbral effect - it still has a note-value.

skronk is what is put betwene the chords and riffs and note. of course any sound iss going to have a note value, but I am talkin bout skronk.

the skronk at the end of Mote may be in E flat, or a G or an A sharp but it is still skronk.

obviously skronk has been self-defined by me, for there is no actual definition of it, ma having decided over a decade and half ago to sue that worsd to describe to friends what sonic youth songs sound like in many cases
Old 08.11.2010, 11:15 AM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
I've read it 3 times now and all I can think of is, "I'm glad I stopped taking Rob seriously that one time when he said Captain Beefheart sucks."

thanks for the "open mind"
Old 08.11.2010, 11:16 AM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Isn't skronk music better defined as bands like Lightning Bolt and Orthrelm? Calling them "Skronk" makes more sense.

Sonic Youth are an alt. rock band with alt. tunings and some noise, as are Polvo and Thinking Fellers Union Local # 282. They're fairly conventional except for some of their structures and tunings.

Old 08.11.2010, 11:17 AM   #19
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
skronk is the way and the life.

It brings forth the true ectsasy in my brain

Listening to the last 2 minutes of Pattern Recognition makes me so happy. There is skronk a plenty there and if you choose to ignore it so be it.

skronk is a part of what sonic youth do. not all of it. that is why sonic youth never get boring. always mixing it up.

Skronk

The way the slowly building and beautifully lilting skronk kicks off I Love You Golden Blue. It is so beautiful. I live for driving at midninght and that song comes on LOUD in the old toyota camry LE

Skronk is the sound of my internal dialogue.

It is the one musical sound that most fits with the "sound" I hear inside my head at all times.

for some people that is hard to understand, but many know what I speak of.

I can't say that 'skronk' has the same affect on me as it does you, but I completely respect what you're saying about finding a kind of music (regardless of what it is) that matches the sound you hear in your head. Some people spend their life looking for that sound, others don't have one to begin with and just flounder around looking for a new cheap thrill while others find it early and stick with it. Some people might argue that the latter leads to a certain narrow-mindedness but if you know what you like and you know where to get it, then more power to you.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.11.2010, 11:18 AM   #20
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
thanks for the "open mind"

Thanks for the "namedropping of the same 5 bands since you started posting on this board and ever inching closer to self-parody as a user".

You are pretty easily the most close minded person on this board; "IF IT DOESN'T ROCK IT SUCKS!" You write off any band that does anything that isn't exactly what you expect out of a band.

I generally have an open mind -- I've never completely written off anything without becoming familiar with it... but you open up a can of worms with "tECHNO SUX CUZ IT DON'T ROCK". I mean, wow. WRITING OFF A WHOLE GENRE OF MUSIC? Ridiculous. And if that's really what you think techno sounds like, it's clear you don't know anything about it. But then you thought industrial music started out as "just dance music".

Maybe you should listen and read, become informed, before posting silly stuff.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth