Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café IV
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.26.2015, 11:23 AM   #501
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.directlyrics.com/new-musi...view-news.html
Quote:
Rihanna world premiered at noon (EST) today (March 26th) her brand new single “Better Have My Money” on iHeartRadio and on all major Top 40 radio stations across the US simultaneously. Co-written by Bibi Bourelly, and produced by Roc Nation’s very own DEPUTY, Rihanna’s new single samples rapper AMG’s 1992 hit of the same.

“Better Have My Money” serves as the official second single from Rihanna’s upcoming eighth studio album whose title is yet to be confirmed but that many refer as “#R8”. The Kanye West-executive produced LP is said to be 100% complete with people just waiting for Roc Nation and Rihanna to drop it, with or without previous notice.

The song sees “urban” Rihanna make a comeback! Happy, right?

OH!!

edit: that song is some underwhelming commercial bullshit just like 4 5 Seconds though.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2015, 11:26 AM   #502
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
https://youtu.be/yqTbBCRxsME
Old 03.26.2015, 11:28 AM   #503
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You've come to the right place for '90s hip-hop recs. I'm sure NR could supply you with enough for a lifetime.

Have you already acquainted yourself with Tribe? Pharcyde? De La Soul? Mobb Deep? Digable Planets? Brand Nubian? Black Sheep? Black Moon? Black Star? Hieroglyphics? OutKast? Dilated Peoples? Dead Prez? Outlawz? Souls of Mischief?
Anti-Pop Consortium (more '00s really... also, kinda more IDM than rap, but fuckit, they're good.)

... ooor were you not looking for notes? Heheheh sorry.
I'm familiar with all of those to some degree apart from Black Sheep, Outlaws and Souls of Mischief so will investigate, thanks.

So I've now discovered Odd Futures thanks to this thread which is sweet. I had heard of Tyler the Creator before but hadn't realised he was any good or somehow thought it was more mainstream or something Idk hehe.

Really liking Earl Sweatshirt.

Any chance someone could do me a wee Odd Futures primer if they get a chance? A humble ta in advance.
Old 03.26.2015, 11:29 AM   #504
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
DOPE!!
Old 03.26.2015, 01:00 PM   #505
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Whorefrost did you check out Gravediggaz, Sunz of Man, Tha Alkoholiks, Northstar, RBX, or the Luniz?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2015, 07:18 PM   #506
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

https://youtu.be/fZUJNwxMZFM?t=54s
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2015, 07:24 PM   #507
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
I'm familiar with all of those to some degree apart from Black Sheep, Outlaws and Souls of Mischief so will investigate, thanks.

So I've now discovered Odd Futures thanks to this thread which is sweet. I had heard of Tyler the Creator before but hadn't realised he was any good or somehow thought it was more mainstream or something Idk hehe.

Any chance someone could do me a wee Odd Futures primer if they get a chance? A humble ta in advance.

An OF primer? Yeah, that could easily be arranged. Do you want a playlist, or just a guide (where to start, and where to go from there...)?

Louder, NR and I could all do this for you pretty fucking easily.

If you have either a reliable torrent site or $$ to spend on iTunes, I would recommend the following trajectory:

Start with OF's Radical from 2010. No, it's not their first release, but if we're going for efficiency here, skip The Odd Future Tape vol.1, and dog right the fuck into this.

If you like it, immediately get 2011's 12 Odd Future Songs, as well as Tyler, the Creator's debut Bastard, Earl Sweatshirt's first mixtape titled EARL, Frank Ocean's EXCELLENT early mixtape Nostalgia.Ultra and the breakthrough album BlackenedWhite by MellowHype (OF-spin off project by members Hodgy Beats and Left Brain; prod. Left Brain, and one of the best albums in the history of the group, (though this fact is often overlooked or
simply ignored)

If you like what you hear, congrats you're probably a fan. Download Tyler's Goblin, the OF tapes (1 and 2), Domo Genesis's badass mixtapes and whatever else you can get your hands on. Steer clear of Wolf, because I think I've come to the conclusion that it sucks.

THE BEST ODD FUTURE STUDIO ALBUMS ARE: Frank Ocean's ChannelORANGE and Earl's Doris. That's the god's honest truth. I'm tempted to say Nostalgia.Ultra instead of Doris, but I don't want to sound like a twat. Seriously though, Frank Ocean is the best and most interesting, most mature, classiest, most incentive creative voice in the group, and broths doesn't even really rap. Like, ever.

Happy hunting.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2015, 10:06 PM   #508
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Mike G is the best.

But Sev's list is solid.

If you want a playlist of tracks we could do that. "oldie" is obvious but legit.
Old 03.26.2015, 11:21 PM   #509
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost

Frank Ocean - yep, everything.
Earl Sweatshirt - Doris, Earl (then maybe I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside)
Tyler, The Creator - Wolf (then maybe Bastard and Goblin)

group compilations:
The OF Tape Vol. 2
Radical
Old 03.26.2015, 11:30 PM   #510
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
and broths doesn't even really rap. Like, ever.
his verses on Oldie and Sunday are really great though.

the Chris Brown diss on Sunday, jesus..

"They thought me soft in High School, thank God I'm jagged
Forgot you don't like it rough, I mean he called me a faggot
I was just calling his bluff
I mean how anal am I gon' be when I'm aiming my gun"
Old 03.27.2015, 02:40 AM   #511
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Damn, enormous thanks brothers!
Old 03.27.2015, 02:45 AM   #512
whorefrost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Whorefrost did you check out Gravediggaz, Sunz of Man, Tha Alkoholiks, Northstar, RBX, or the Luniz?

With the exception of Gravediggaz, no, so thanks!
Old 03.27.2015, 06:35 AM   #513
whorefrost
invito al cielo

Quote:
An OF primer? Yeah, that could easily be arranged. Do you want a playlist, or just a guide (where to start, and where to go from there...)?

Louder, NR and I could all do this for you pretty fucking easily.

If you have either a reliable torrent site or $$ to spend on iTunes, I would recommend the following trajectory:

Start with OF's Radical from 2010. No, it's not their first release, but if we're going for efficiency here, skip The Odd Future Tape vol.1, and dog right the fuck into this.

If you like it, immediately get 2011's 12 Odd Future Songs, as well as Tyler, the Creator's debut Bastard, Earl Sweatshirt's first mixtape titled EARL, Frank Ocean's EXCELLENT early mixtape Nostalgia.Ultra and the breakthrough album BlackenedWhite by MellowHype (OF-spin off project by members Hodgy Beats and Left Brain; prod. Left Brain, and one of the best albums in the history of the group, (though this fact is often overlooked or
simply ignored)

If you like what you hear, congrats you're probably a fan. Download Tyler's Goblin, the OF tapes (1 and 2), Domo Genesis's badass mixtapes and whatever else you can get your hands on. Steer clear of Wolf, because I think I've come to the conclusion that it sucks.

THE BEST ODD FUTURE STUDIO ALBUMS ARE: Frank Ocean's ChannelORANGE and Earl's Doris. That's the god's honest truth. I'm tempted to say Nostalgia.Ultra instead of Doris, but I don't want to sound like a twat. Seriously though, Frank Ocean is the best and most interesting, most mature, classiest, most incentive creative voice in the group, and broths doesn't even really rap. Like, ever.

Happy hunting.

Thanks man, this is exactly what I was after, and most of it looks to be freely available here
Old 03.27.2015, 07:11 AM   #514
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Frankie's verse on "Oldie" is one of my favorites on there. His, Earl's and Mike G's. But the whole track is unbelievable.

Good call on Radical, louder. Feels like that one's always overlooked, but I loved that album back when.

PS, I keep wishing every year that those early tapes like Radical, Earl, Bastard, etc would get some kind of CD pressing.
Old 03.27.2015, 10:58 AM   #515
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Frankie's verse on "Oldie" is one of my favorites on there. His, Earl's and Mike G's. But the whole track is unbelievable.

Good call on Radical, louder. Feels like that one's always overlooked, but I loved that album back when.

PS, I keep wishing every year that those early tapes like Radical, Earl, Bastard, etc would get some kind of CD pressing.

What did you think of my little startup guide?

I was trying to focus on the essentials, and end with the absolute must-have solid gold studio LP's.

You'll notice that I, too, noted Radical as a high point for the group, and as an excellent starting point for the relative newb. High five?

Also, I was trying to avoid albums that all three of us had seemed to find unanimously disappointing in the long run. This is why I avoided Wolf... I know we all geeked out when it initially dropped, but it ended up not even making my top 10 hip hop albums that year.

I thought you and louder felt the same way, but now I see our comrade recommending it OVER both Bastard AND Goblin. Wtf louder?

---

Yes, Mike G is a great rapper and needs to put out a goddamn proper album for fuck's sake! Still, Mike Check and Ali are both dope Mixtapes, even though I don't think he'd quite come into his own yet.

I also really like Domo's solo mixtape's, especially last year's Under the Influence 2. But I stand by the releases I recommended, as I believe they more or less cover the absolute best from most of the different factions and substrata of the OFWGKTA universe.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2015, 01:32 PM   #516
noisereductions
invito al cielo

word, your guide was a good start for sure.

Honestly I don't think Wolf or Goblin are as good as Bastard fro beginning to end. Wolf and Goblin both feel like they are half awesome and half tracks I want to skip.
Old 03.27.2015, 02:46 PM   #517
louder
invito al cielo

i think that the highs on Wolf are higher than Bastard, "48" is my favorite Tyler song and "Rusty" might be his best verse to date. but yeah it's inconsistent.
Old 03.27.2015, 03:12 PM   #518
louder
invito al cielo

i used to bump "BlackenedWhite" by MellowHype and "Rolling Papers" by Domo back in the day too, and even that Untitled EP by Hodgy was solid, but whatever. not that big on OF anymore. Frank and Earl are still dope though.
Old 03.27.2015, 03:13 PM   #519
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I like when that one guy says "How I could just kill a man."
Old 03.27.2015, 10:24 PM   #520
rebeccagotcursedout
stalker

rebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's assesrebeccagotcursedout kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

Action Bronson dropped a new album too, Mr. Wonderful. It's cool enough. The dude's talented, sounds like Ghostface still, and has a unique charm about him. I like him, he has an edge and a sense of humor simultaneously.

The singles are also legit.

Actin' Crazy
Baby Blue ft. Chance the Rapper

im enjoying this guy right now. he's funny and has a great flow. Ghostface came to mind before i read the complete post.

love the one with Chance the Rapper.

speaking of Ghostface??...no mention of 36 Seasons here?
rebeccagotcursedout is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
232425 26 2728293676 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth