Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.03.2014, 11:48 AM   #1421
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
i think i fuck with this dude KYLE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1pQVUS1Hro

he's like a dorkier/quirkier Drake knock-off. his album is titled "Beautiful Loser". priceless!
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2014, 06:10 PM   #1422
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Hahaha.. Me and MC Tree G been having a sick reasoning session on Twitter. Irie. Dude was having guilt trips about the Sunday School titles, I had to big them up because I'm a Sunday School teacher and I particularly was into those mixtapes because of those titles and themes, but I also respect his perspective, that's why I love that MC Tree music, its mature rap for grown folks. Dude is flipping the script in 2014 for his mama, but he definitely appreciated my big ups.. Aside from a grip of replies (at 1:25 AM chicago time) dude favorited and retweeted all my tweets on his page. Irie. I love equality in music, and I love the internet for giving us so many opportunities to connect with the artists and musicians we love. I've chatted with a lot of my favorite bands through the internet, which is cool because you can't always make it to the shows (though I've been blessed to talk with many of them there too)

Tree loves twitter. I think he lives there.

Thanks for liking my list more than the others! Reading that comment will surely be the high point of my week.

Oh! I forgot to find room for E-40! Aren't you the one who reps him like mad every once in a while here, only to have nobody respond? Well, I know how frustrating that can be (BLACK MILK's up the alley of any Kanye fan and DOLEY BERNAYS is going for $Rocky's jugular!) so I deliberately bought a bunch of his albums on iTunes.

I wouldn't be able to say what my fav would be, though, since he released like five albums this year! But, the Block Brochure vol's 5/6/7 deserves to be on my list. At least in the honorable mentions.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2014, 07:17 PM   #1423
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I'm new to Twitter, I'm like Bart Simpson, "I must only use my powers to annoy." BUT on the real, I had a serious conversation now with my favorite author since I was a kid about his new paintings, and have the confessions with MC Tree. I didn't realize Twitter was legit? I always figured it was like bands/artists myspaces/facebooks (e.g. run by friends as webmasters).. I would have been trolling on twitter YEARS AGO. Its tailor made for my kind of meme saturated snark and trolling. I essentially just troll bomb peoples' otherwise serious attempts at conversation! Its fucking fantastic yo

I didn't put E-40 on my top-10, even though he did put out like a triple album this year, but I didn't even get to chop it up yet, too much new music in 2013. I'm glad my rep made your week, glad some of us are still nice to each other on SYG like the old days, snarky but friendly. I agree that Vol5/6/7 should at least squeeze into number 10 on the best of 2013 list, even if just on the sheer principle that E-40 put out a fucking triple album, that is both relevant and good, is actually creative and not just some rehash of all his old shit, AND has new artists on it?? 40-fonzerelli got mad game in rap music, probably the most underrated legend of hip hop and rap music, I mean honestly, and sincerely, whose discography is more extensive or relevant across FOUR DECADES OF RAP MUSIC!! (1980s with The Click, 1990s solo and with Tupac and B-legit, 2000s with the hyphy movement which was probably a high-water mark in popularity, and now the 2010s with this sick MOB music.) Fuck. Dude is legit yo!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2014, 12:07 AM   #1424
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Number 1 of 2014:

http://kweliclub.com/products/gravitas-album

Kool Keith said he got a new album coming out this year, MC Tree said that same thing about a new mix-tape (too bad the dude is still unsigned, needs to drop a legit record)..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2014, 05:03 AM   #1425
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
number 1. is Ghostface Killah(12 reasons to Die) all the way, though my gf loves those Asap rock tracks. i think he is ok, unless i'm high.

the rest of the popular top ten i've heard.......... and do not care for.

i love NR's comparison of Yeezus to Suicide(who are the greatest band ever). Yeezus is not an album i love but at least i can respect it. whatever has-been retarted statement it's trying to make.

Pusha T
and
Denzel Curry are up there at n.2

another foreverasssssssskiss post drunkeness
no Acid Rap?
Old 01.04.2014, 05:22 AM   #1426
louder
invito al cielo

listening to The Blueprint again for the millionth time.

"i'm like a dog - i never speak, but i understand".
Old 01.04.2014, 05:31 AM   #1427
louder
invito al cielo

you can really hear Jay's voice crackin' on Song Cry.
Old 01.04.2014, 02:06 PM   #1428
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
number 1. is Ghostface Killah(12 reasons to Die) all the way, though my gf loves those Asap rock tracks. i think he is ok, unless i'm high.

i love NR's comparison of Yeezus to Suicide(who are the greatest band ever). Yeezus is not an album i love but at least i can respect it. whatever has-been retarted statement it's trying to make.

Pusha T
and

Yeah, I really had a hot/cold response to the Denzel Curry album. I mean, the beats go hard, and his rhymes are pretty excellent, but I found that when I was consciously listening to him, I was unimpressed. This is probably due to some bias I'm not aware of, either against the more traditional approach to "rap" and the gangsta lyrical themes, or to fucking Florida... I don't know. BUT, when I had my iPod on shuffle, and I started digging a track that I couldn't quite name, I found that it was often Curry (if not, it was either Joey Bada$$ or Underachievers... This is how I came to truly appreciate Indigoism, btw.)

So I don't know. He definitely deserved to be in my honorable mention. But then again, Bada$$ does even more so. Shit. Did I really just put Drake above Joey, E-40, and Denzel Curry?

I might need to make a redux version.
Old 01.04.2014, 02:39 PM   #1429
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
you can really hear Jay's voice crackin' on Song Cry.

Read an interesting article in (don't judge me) Source yesterday, in which an editorial was written on their best hip hop albums of all time list, made god knows when, and completely obsolete now.

Anyway, it was mostly about Illmatic, which I assume was #1, and how it essentially created a shadow so great that neither hip hop as a genre, not Nas himself has yet climbed out of. ( Interesting to imagine that Illmatic may have killed Nas's career; or at least greatly diminished his chances of making music that sounded "authentic" when compared to it.)

ANYWAY... It also said that Jay-Z had "only hinted" at his skill level once or twice on Reasonable Doubt, and that he did not even really begin his career as a hip hop icon until Blueprint was released. They mentioned "Song Cry" specifically as a then-high point for Jay.

It must have been an old list. I was only reading it out of boredom, and if I ever saw the list I don't remember when or where. But the fact that Kanye West was not mentioned, and that Lil Wayne and even Eminem were absent from the editorial tells me it must have been an early 00's affair. I'm guessing it placed Illmatic and Reasonable Doubt at 1 and 2, and that the author was just doing some navel gazing, nostalgic musing about those decisions in hindsight.

To me, Reasonable Doubt is a cherished gem, and is far better than anything other than the black album, and possibly Blueprint. But to say he was barely showing signs of the artist he became seems like a backward statement. Over his next several records, he was lucky to catch 1/4 an album's worth of the quality of work showcased on RD.

Nas... Well... Bad has had a harder time of it. I'm not sure even Illmatic can save his ass in retrospect. Magma Carta Holy Grail may have been "meh" as hell, but people still rocked it like crazy all over the cities, meaning the urban youth still relates to his music, for some fucking reason. Also, the album has at least a few killer tracks. The rest, except for that bullshit love story "cliche cliche cliche" song with Beyoncé, are totally tolerable.

Anyway, I'm done with my shit now, so I'll wrap this up.
Old 01.04.2014, 02:43 PM   #1430
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Pusha T
and

BTW, I'm glad someone threw Ghostface at #1, and resisted the urge to forget about him completely, or pretend that his album was of comparable quality to MMLP2. I would have kept him at #1, but Kanye just owned my year completely. It would have been a lie to not put him on top of every list imaginable.
Old 01.04.2014, 03:34 PM   #1431
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
ouch dood.
Old 01.05.2014, 11:33 AM   #1432
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
ouch dood.

All in good fun, man. I honestly respect the hell out of everyone in this little family. I didn't mean to dis your choices. You're free to make whatever calls you want on your list, man. And I didn't even listen to MMLP2 all the way through.

I'm actually glad you included Wayne, because I thought IANAHB2 was a better album than many people realized, or gave it credit for.

No offense. Nothing but respect. For all y'all. Sorry if I sounded brash, I just thought the respect thing went without saying.
Old 01.05.2014, 11:54 AM   #1433
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
it's all good sev. Respect all around for sure.

Yeah, IANAHB2 is a weird little mess of an album, but it is better than it gets credit for. The problem is it's too long. There's too much. But if a handful of tracks were trimmed (say that stupid "my dick is a gun" song for example) then it could have been condensed into a much tighter (maybe a dozen or so tracks?) album. I actually really really liked the first IAMNAHB - and that one was def more lean. This one ... I'm still baffled why "Hot Revolver" landed on this one, when it was a promo single from 3 records ago. Weird.
Old 01.05.2014, 12:13 PM   #1434
louder
invito al cielo

Pusha is back to working with the Neptunes on his next album. i'm excited cuz even though MNIMN had a decent amount of filler, Pusha still proved that when he's focused he can be the best rapper out, period.

Sweet Serenade, 40 Acres, Suicide and the song with 2 Chainz and Big Sean are terrible, but everything else is on point. he even outshined Kendrick on Nosetalgia.
Old 01.05.2014, 03:47 PM   #1435
louder
invito al cielo

i know that DOOM just dropped an album last year, but it wasn't satisfying. i miss him.
Old 01.05.2014, 03:50 PM   #1436
noisereductions
invito al cielo

we need DOOM!
Old 01.05.2014, 06:19 PM   #1437
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
i know that DOOM just dropped an album last year, but it wasn't satisfying. i miss him.

What? A new DOOM album, from 2013? Wtf?
Old 01.05.2014, 09:02 PM   #1438
noisereductions
invito al cielo

nah louder forgets what year it is now. he's talking about Keys To The Kuffs, 2012.
Old 01.06.2014, 07:51 AM   #1439
louder
invito al cielo

yeah, still need to get used to 2014 hehe.

hey.. we've been through this before, but what are y'all fav DOOM albums?

mine is Madvillainy. in my opinion, a 10/10 and one of the best rap albums ever.

followed by MM.. FOOD and Born Like This.

the mid-late 00's were such great years to be a DOOM fan. now not so much.
Old 01.06.2014, 07:59 AM   #1440
noisereductions
invito al cielo

we have been thru this

but that's cool.

My favorite DOOM album is Take Me To Your Leader (King Geedorah). Such a gritty, weird album. With all the sci-fi shiz. I think it's my fav because I was such a fan of the Doomsday/Monsta Island era. I mean "Phazers," "No Snakes Alive," "Anti-Matter," it's just such an insane record. And doesn't seem to get the praise it should.

2nd fav... depends on which day you ask me. THat's the best thing about his discography. So many records w/ completely diff feels.
62697071 72 737475 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth