Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page A Thousand Leaves.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.06.2006, 03:00 AM   #21
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
kims vocals are perfect on a thousand leaves. the whole album is perfect.
i have a thousand leaves tattood on my arm from the year it came out.
the tattoo itself looks rather shite, but ive no regrets about the words.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2006, 03:55 AM   #22
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax

Dude, sorry to contradict but it's obvious that she cannot sing in tune except when she's wispering (even more flagrant live). And her ranting, I guess it's supposed to be the ultimate proof of her punk roots but it pisses me off and it's just ugly on this album. I have nothing against harsh vocals ( Plastic Sun is one of my favorite Kim songs) but sometimes hers seem unjustified musically speaking.
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2006, 06:59 AM   #23
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax

Right on.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2006, 07:05 AM   #24
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
I don't understand the hate critics have for Kim Gordon. Is it because she threatens their masculinity and/or pre-conceived, slave-indoctrinated faux, femininity? Do they have a problem because she is obviously a strong, brave, creative, talented, intelligent woman? I guess I'll never know. A Thousand Leaves would not be the same record without Kim Gordon's backbone infused throughout its sublime beauty. Contre Le Sexisme is noise with beauty shining through it like gossamer.

oh god. don't be a riot girl, please.
Old 08.06.2006, 08:16 AM   #25
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Just expressing how I feel about most critics panning Kim Gordon on principle it seems... Sorry, that's how I feel about it...
Old 08.06.2006, 06:28 PM   #26
Lipslikewindows
bad moon rising

Lipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to beholdLipslikewindows is a splendid one to behold
Her vocals aren't that harsh at all on "Plastic Sun". It's one of her more melodic songs in a lot of ways.

Her vox are absolutely perfect on 1,000 Ls. The production is perfect. Lee's songs are matched only by his two on WM and "Rain King" in my opinion. Their last great album.
Old 08.07.2006, 02:08 AM   #27
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunberg
Dude, sorry to contradict but it's obvious that she cannot sing in tune except when she's wispering (even more flagrant live). And her ranting, I guess it's supposed to be the ultimate proof of her punk roots but it pisses me off and it's just ugly on this album. I have nothing against harsh vocals ( Plastic Sun is one of my favorite Kim songs) but sometimes hers seem unjustified musically speaking.

and where does it say she has to sing in tune?
do you realise that your comments are no different from someone going on about how sonic youths guitars always sound so out of tune, oh, its all so noisy, why dont they tune their guitars properly and play songs more traditionaly!!!

go listen to rather ripped if you want something a bit more friendly on your poor ears.
Old 08.07.2006, 06:06 AM   #28
jean-nicolas
little trouble girl

jean-nicolas kicks all y'all's assesjean-nicolas kicks all y'all's assesjean-nicolas kicks all y'all's assesjean-nicolas kicks all y'all's assesjean-nicolas kicks all y'all's assesjean-nicolas kicks all y'all's assesjean-nicolas kicks all y'all's assesjean-nicolas kicks all y'all's assesjean-nicolas kicks all y'all's assesjean-nicolas kicks all y'all's assesjean-nicolas kicks all y'all's asses
I love "A thousand leaves", it's my favorite album ever;:-))))))))))))))))
jean-nicolas is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 06:56 AM   #29
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
One of the all-time greats...and next to Murray Street its my second favorite SY album from the past 10 years.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 12:56 PM   #30
Ono Soul
little trouble girl

Ono Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's assesOno Soul kicks all y'all's asses
This is my all time favorite SY album. I can remember me and my friend, who's an even bigger SY fan than I, buying it the day it came out and we were instantly blown away by the sheer beauty of songs like "Wildflower Soul" and "Snare Girl". We spent that entire summer getting stoned, driving around in his car and playing it over and over again. Whenever I play it now it takes me back to those days. Good times.... I see a couple of you have singled out Lee's songs for praise and I agree wholeheartedly. "Hoarfrost" and "Karen Koltrane" are probably my favorite Lee songs ever. I'll never understand why this album is so underrated. It's nice to see I'm not alone in my love for it....
Ono Soul is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 01:24 PM   #31
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax
and where does it say she has to sing in tune?
do you realise that your comments are no different from someone going on about how sonic youths guitars always sound so out of tune, oh, its all so noisy, why dont they tune their guitars properly and play songs more traditionaly!!!

go listen to rather ripped if you want something a bit more friendly on your poor ears.

Hahaha !!
You should read carefully, singing in tune doesn't mean singing gentle and poppy lullabies it just sticking to the tone of the piece and it's not a secret that she can hardly sing in tune live (however harmonically complex the song may be). I'm just making a fair observation, so chill! About the guitars though, they rarely bother me even when they're noisy the thing is that when SY makes noise, it's rarely random noise as opposed to some of Kim's vocal (and let me stress this again, it happens most of the time live, I usually feel that her record performances are OK).

To get this over with I still prefer ATL to rather ripped, "n'en déplaise tes petits commentaires de merdeux".
Old 08.07.2006, 01:43 PM   #32
wax
the destroyed room

im chilled.
so, how is the singing on innefable me or female mechanic out of tune with the piece?
i can kinda see what you mean on french tickler, but totaly disagree on the rest. her singing os more in tune with the album on atl than it is on alot of other albums.
and i did read carefully. i know english is not your first language, and your english is very good, but please dont tell me i should read carefully when its you who failed to say what you wanted to say.
Old 08.07.2006, 01:53 PM   #33
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I read an interview somewhere and Kim was talking about trying different ways of singing. She was saying something about how she likes to try and be really atonal, which certainly comes across in a lot of her songs. When I first started listening to SY I was really turned off by a lot of Kim's singing, but I've really grown to like even her most crazy vocal tangents. And I love her understated, whispery vocals on songs like 'Shadow of a Doubt' simply gorgeous. Anyway, I can totally see where you're coming from.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 02:23 PM   #34
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hahaha !!
You should read carefully, singing in tune doesn't mean singing gentle and poppy lullabies it just sticking to the tone of the piece and it's not a secret that she can hardly sing in tune live (however harmonically complex the song may be). I'm just making a fair observation, so chill! About the guitars though, they rarely bother me even when they're noisy the thing is that when SY makes noise, it's rarely random noise as opposed to some of Kim's vocal (and let me stress this again, it happens most of the time live, I usually feel that her record performances are OK).

To get this over with I still prefer ATL to rather ripped, "n'en déplaise tes petits commentaires de merdeux".
Il y'a d'autres français sur le forum

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 02:31 PM   #35
lunberg
bad moon rising

Diantre! Je suis démasqué !!
Old 08.07.2006, 11:13 PM   #36
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
my gripe with kims vocals is that (not always) they sound so throaty and .. kinda gross. and her vocals on NYC G&F especially are kinda annoying because they sound too much like they are trying to be poetic.

**I thought RR and Nurse have been her best vocals yet.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2006, 11:07 AM   #37
nneureiter
empty page

nneureiter has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
One of the last albums of theirs I ever really tried to get into. In the last month, I've listened to the album about 25 times and found two live shows online from this tour. I have to say it may now be my favorite album, and I totally disagree with peoples thoughts on Kim. French Tickler and Ineffable Me are two of my fav Kim songs.
By the way, does anyone know what songs she plays bass on? It's sometimes hard to tell if there is any bass going on at all.
nneureiter is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2006, 12:23 PM   #38
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I am a fan of this album. A big fan. It's a very good album. Yes, a very good one. Probably my favourite, after CIS. Very good. Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2006, 01:34 PM   #39
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
The whole phase that went from Experimental Jet Set up to Murray Street is Sonic Youth at the peak of their powers.Everytime a new album of theirs came out was cause for euphoria in Marras's household.It's still like that but in a way the euphoria has left me a bit disappointed of late.I'll always buy their records simply because: like them,dislike them,criticize them but Sonic Youth are Sonic Youth and can't be touched.If they didn't make as good an album as 'A Thousand Leaves' i wouldn't care much because they really are one those bands that gave so much good music to the world for it to just shut the fuck up and listen.How many bands can claim to have made such phenomenal records so late in their career?Very,very few.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.15.2006, 01:42 PM   #40
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I have double standards,by the way.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth