Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page interpol appreciation?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.18.2011, 01:45 PM   #81
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Just got around to listening to the "new" one.

Sucks. Their worst release so far.

Tell me why I'm wrong.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2011, 01:57 PM   #82
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
What's it called? Did they release another after Our Love to Admire? Cause I listened to that one like twice. Nothing special.

Turn on the Bright Lights is one of my favorite albums.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2011, 02:16 PM   #83
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I like their first two records an awful lot. Not sure why people really hate Antics so much in this thread. OLtA has some really good stuff but like EVOL said it's nothing too special, at least compared to TotBL and Antics.

Their recent self-titled one I never got too into despite a few songs here and there. Still think they're a pretty damn good band despite wearing their influences on their sleeves.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2011, 03:17 PM   #84
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
self-titled has been on heavy rotation for me lately, I enjoyed it from its release, but lately I think I have fully understood the "feel" and "tone" of this record as composition. I adore where it takes me and how it culminates with "..I was on my way.... I was on my way to tell you its no good.."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2011, 03:21 PM   #85
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
First two albums, marvellous. Since then they havent been relevant.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2011, 04:11 PM   #86
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_pl
so.. i've just heard 'turn on the bright lights' album, and it's good, song stella was a driver..., and nyc are the best i think.

Yeah, it's an alright album I guess.

Some of their songs since have caught my ear, but not many.

Really, one of the big let-downs of the decade. They're not bad, but they were supposed to be "brilliant" and now they're just NYC ghosts.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2011, 10:43 PM   #87
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Rich privileged kids trying to sound like Joy Division? NO THANKS!!!!

I have to admit though, I love the production on the first album and "Leif Erikson" is a good song.

But that cold post-punk feeling can be fulfilled somewhere else.
'
They don't really sound anything like Joy Division. Well, maybe they've snagged inspiration from the "Disorder"-type songs, but they lack a whole dimension that Joy Division was known for.

Ever heard Interpol record anything like "Day of the Lords?"

I agree in principle, but they failed at ripping JD off accurately.

Turn on the Bright Lights is good, though. Lyrics aside, it's a good album.
Or at least sounded good to me when I was 20 and probably on painkillers.

lol.
Old 10.25.2011, 12:29 AM   #88
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not really sure what to say about interpol. I remember thinking they were somewhat interesting the first time I heard them...maybe 5-6 years ago...but quickly growing bored and just wanting to listen to Joy Division instead. The influence is more than obvious.
Old 10.25.2011, 11:42 PM   #89
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Remember The KILLERS? They were like 'Interpol Lite' or something. The STP of post-punk revival.

I think the Strokes were Interpol lite at first. Or maybe that Interpol was the "evil" Strokes. Whatever- they both turned out to be unimpressive, though the Strokes can write a catchy tune to this day.

I actually don't hate the killers. I don't like them, but a few of their songs are alright.

The WHITE STRIPES won that battle. Interpol and all the "The" bands (Hives, Killers, Vines) were just one hit wonders really. Interpol had one really good album, and then revealed their true nature as a MOR flop.

White Stripes released SIX great albums, plus a bunch of other stuff, an managed to make their "limited" sound more colorful and new sounding with each release.

Yeah- White Stripes. I'm not a big mainstream pop fan, but... shit. Probably one of the best pop bands of the auts.
Old 10.25.2011, 11:44 PM   #90
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I like the vines. Winning DAys kicks ass1
Old 10.26.2011, 12:25 AM   #91
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
They were interesting at the time because they didn't sound like KORN, KID ROCK, and LIMP BISCUIT....and all that other shit. Same goes for The Strokes and The White Stripes.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I'd rather listen to them instead of KID ROCKHEAD.

Hopefully, them and all the "THE..." bands, turned kids on to good music. Just like Nirvana did 10 years earlier.

I was already way over the Korn thing at the time (my interest in them didn't last long at all, even though I did think the first couple albums were cool when they came out). I just, I don't know, was in a very different mindset toward music during the height of the nu-metal thing. I was looking backwards (we're talking mid-90's - 2002ish) while next to everyone and their grandparents were swearing by Limp Bizkit/etc. Interpol started getting notice, at least here, when the nu-metal stuff was on the decline. By that time I was already pretty much musically grounded. Still am. I mean, I'm def. open minded toward music but even with that said I know what I look for in music, and Interpol just didn't do it for me.
Old 10.26.2011, 01:29 AM   #92
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I like the vines. Winning DAys kicks ass1

Yes, a thousand times yes!! Repped fo' sho!

Everyone says Highly Evolved was their one and only peak, but honestly I think Winning Days is their masterpiece. I've often wondered why that album didn't make the band superstars, but maybe Craig Nicholls' behavior kinda undid their appeal for a lot of people. Also, maybe its polarized running order, inspired by the vinyl side 1/side 2 aesthetic was a turn-off for some.

Vision Valley and what I've heard off Melodia and Future Primitive has been cool, but ultimately it doesn't quite match up to their first two. The biggest problem I have is their songs have often followed a formula of starting off good, then getting awesome, then just ending.
Old 10.26.2011, 02:38 AM   #93
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Yeah...I've only gotten as far as Vision Valley which has a few good tunes, but Highly Evolved and Winning Days are super awesome...Winning Days being my favorite. Also...the B-side Don't Go...really awesome song.
Old 10.26.2011, 06:32 PM   #94
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

I didn't even know the Vines were still around.

The only "The" band that made any lasting impact was the Stripes, who are now almost as iconic and definitive an 00's band as Radiohead.

The White Stripes were the cure to the disease of rap-metal and old-fart "Beautiful Day" gloss-pop (see: RHCP, U2, Coldplay, Green Day to some extent, Foo Fighters)

The Stripes were one dude with a guitar, and one chick on a kick and snare, and they were heavier than Korn could ever be with, what, like, seven[/i] guitars or whatever the fuck they had?

As for Interpol, I have one word for you............ Liars.

Liars didn't even NEED a "the". Minor players on the big stage, but down below, they were the ones who were keeping post-punk going in the 00's.

Plus Interpol's lyrics have always sucked balls.
Old 10.26.2011, 06:33 PM   #95
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
Interpol lyrics are mostly miss but in the right instances he has come up with some cool stuff.

~Jeremy~

Old 10.26.2011, 08:43 PM   #96
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Elephant is one of my favorite records by them.

and yes, Interpol's lyrics are horrible.
Reminds me of a rich kid romantic in a John Hughes movie.

I mean, I'm not saying Interpol totally sucks.

TOTBL has some really charged moments on it. Musically, it was one of the more interesting things happening in 2002.

Then again, in 2002 I was doing drugs in the suburbs with rich kids in vintage suits. College, eh? Hah.

But seriously, "Untitled" could be a Fugazi song. Easily. "NYC" is really smooth musically. The last minute of "PDA" is fantastic. "Stella..." is classic too. But the lyrics are just trash, and it's such a blatant imitation (and a poor one, in that it does not succeed in sounding like them) of Joy Division and the Cure, and late Wire and all the other post-punk godfathers.

They just don't bring anything new to the table. I've heard good things about their 2010 release, but haven't bothered buying/downloading anything since Antics.

I'm not against them, but I CANNOT BELIEVE pitchforkmedia called TOTBR the best album of 2002.

And yes, the White Stripes are awesome. This is a fact. If you don't believe it, see them live (with your time machine). If you love rock n' roll, you love the Stripes.
Old 10.26.2011, 08:46 PM   #97
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Also, it sounds like he's saying "She can't read cheese bread" in "Obstacle 1".
Old 10.27.2011, 03:50 AM   #98
Jeremy
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
But seriously, "Untitled" could be a Fugazi song. Easily.

Huh? Really?

Old 10.27.2011, 05:27 AM   #99
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Thinking about the late 90's makes me suicidal

I would have like KORN back then, but Nirvana had already slapped me around.

Pretty much what happened w/ me for the most part. Even though, for whatever reason, I did enjoy the first couple albums at the time. Just angry/accessible high school bullshit.
Old 10.27.2011, 01:02 PM   #100
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
Huh? Really?

Oh sure... a weird interlude on any of their last few albums. I think so anyway.

Obviously it doesn't sound like "Break", but it could pass for a throwaway, sure.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth