Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Who will play the judge in the Blood Meridian film?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.28.2009, 06:10 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone who cares probably knows Todd Field, director of "In the Bedroom" and "Little Children", will be adapting McCarthy's "Blood Meridian" into film.

I am psyched about this, because it's one of my favorite books and will make for one of the bloodiest and most violent films ever created.

But, who the fuck will play the Judge? The guy is supposed to be over 7 feet tall and massive, are there any guys that can act that could fit that profile? I don't know. I guess you could just make him look big and scary on film, but it still has to be someone ready to portray one of the 5 to 10 most evil charachters in all of literature. Daniel Day Lewis could pull it off I guess, but they'd have to do a helluva make-up job.

Anybody have any ideas of who would work?

For the other charachters, I think Joel Glanton could be well-portrayed by Viggo Mortensen or once again, Daniel Day Lewis.

The Kid has gotta be someone young and talented, I'd saw Emile Hirsch would work, as it'd be hard to find a 14 year old kid who can play a role like that.

Benjamin Tobin could be played by John Turturro, I think that'd be absolutely awesome.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 06:12 PM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
oh and Ray Winstone as the captain would be rad.

listen to pink reason
Old 10.28.2009, 06:24 PM   #3
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
still waiting for my friend to sned me his copy of the book.

my library doesn't carry it... [is it that violent?]

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2009, 06:59 PM   #4
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
I think Blood Meridian could make an excellent film but I'm not holding out too high hopes. I have reservations.
I saw the trailer for The Road and it seemed a bit Hollywood.
Old 10.28.2009, 07:01 PM   #5
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
my library doesn't carry it... [is it that violent?]

I got it from my library (they transferred it actually from a high school in the area for me).
But yes, it is exceptionally violent and, moreover, there isn't really any sense of redemption or good vs evil, just malingering evil and gratuitous and casual cruelty. It is a very bleak book but there is something mesmeric and beautiful about the grandeur of the language which depicts this absolute horror.
Old 10.28.2009, 09:35 PM   #6
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
I kind of wish they weren't making a movie. There's no way to make it and maintain the spirit of the book. They'll have to tone it down. Or rather, they just will tone it down.

That said, Ving Rhames in whiteface can be the Judge.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2009, 12:20 AM   #7
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
I think Blood Meridian could make an excellent film but I'm not holding out too high hopes. I have reservations.
I saw the trailer for The Road and it seemed a bit Hollywood.

supposedly the trailer is nothing like the actual film. some jewish big-wig producer made them make the trailer look like that.

have faith in the director, he did great with 'the proposition' .

and ps rikang, todd field is another good director. i'm pretty interested to see what he does with meridian [even if i have yet to read it].

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2009, 12:39 AM   #8
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
Some books just shouldn't be movies. This is probably one of them.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2009, 08:11 AM   #9
whorefrost
invito al cielo

I actually think it could make a good film in the right hands. I just remain pessimistic.
Old 10.29.2009, 08:16 AM   #10
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Don't forget Tom Cruise was cast as "Lestat" in Interview with the Vampire.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2009, 11:22 AM   #11
batreleaser
invito al cielo

tom cruise was a good lestat i thought.

i just hope they make the judge very creepy and scary, it'll be hard to get someone who can play a role as vicious and cruel as that.

so what do you guys think the judge is? he sure as hell isnt human, and ive heard people refer to him as the devil, the embodiment of war itself, and harold bloom says he is a "gnostic archon". it probably doesnt matter, hes just pure evil.

listen to pink reason
Old 10.29.2009, 11:23 AM   #12
batreleaser
invito al cielo

and i think the road will be great, viggo is perfect for that part, he has that flawed heroic quality.

listen to pink reason
Old 10.29.2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I do not know what this thread is about.

will look into Blood Meridian.
Old 10.29.2009, 06:20 PM   #14
batreleaser
invito al cielo

one of the best novels written the second half of the 20th century

listen to pink reason
Old 10.29.2009, 06:49 PM   #15
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
one of the best novels written the second half of the 20th century

This. It's a really excellent book.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2009, 07:36 PM   #16
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
I actually don't see the Judge as evil. Just as inhuman.

amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2009, 11:18 AM   #17
batreleaser
invito al cielo

you don't think slaughtering men women and children is evil? you dont think raping kids is evil? hes definitely inhuman, but hes like the embodiment of evil. harold bloom compared him to iago, which makes sense as they both seem to be more of ideas than human characters.

listen to pink reason
Old 11.04.2009, 12:22 PM   #18
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Now i'm interested in this book.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth