Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page bandcamp
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.07.2023, 04:46 PM   #621
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Listening and Evolving: A Message From Discogs’ CEO

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.07.2023, 06:48 PM   #622
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
see it was not as terrible as that writer made it hahahahahaaaaa

when i was writing my post before having imaginary auctions prompted by unconscious divinations i realized that often the humanities types who write about these things know nothing about markets, commerce, or what it takes to make things run. as if just wishing something could make it come true, no scarcity, no limit on resources nor alternative uses for them

walter benjamin however knew a bit about auctions hahahahah

anyway, best wishes with your vice
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2023, 06:04 PM   #623
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
The motherfreakin' motherlode!

From Joyful Noise Recordings:

Quote:
Hey you,
It is our solemn duty to inform you of some exciting news:

Our sister label Shimmy-Disc has just launched the first comprehensive collection of Daniel Johnston’s 20th century discography on Bandcamp. This is the VERY FIRST TIME Daniel's albums have been available in 24bit lossless audio. And it's all "Pay What You Want" for the next 48 hours.

In case you're unaware, Daniel distributed his homemade tapes by hand, passing out copies one by one... When his supply disappeared, Daniel would often borrow back a copy from a friend — transferring a new run of tapes from this second-generation dub. In some cases, he even re-recorded an entire album from scratch. These erratic distribution practices led to the proliferation of multi-generation copies, and variant album versions... So, compiling a comprehensive archive of his early work is a formidable task.

But thanks to Kramer (Shimmy-Disc founder and longtime collaborator of Daniel Johnston), Daniel’s first 14 seminal releases have now been remastered from the original source tapes. The recordings have been meticulously sourced from the best available versions of these releases provided by the Daniel Johnston Estate, and restored for the Estate's archives in collaboration with Shimmy-Disc.

All 14 seminal albums are now available at danieljohnston.bandcamp.com for “Pay What You Want” through December 20, 2023. 100% of profits go to the Daniel Johnston Estate for the sole purpose of preserving Daniel’s musical and artistic legacy.

Listen / Buy HERE

Daniel Johnston in the 20th Century is the first phase of an ongoing project to create a permanent archive for Johnston’s complete recorded output, available to the public on Bandcamp. This ambitious series will continue in 2024 with Daniel Johnston in the 21st Century, which promises a monthly release of 12 titles throughout the year, featuring a subscription option for dedicated fans. The momentum will continue in 2025 with alternate versions of known Johnston releases - along with newly unearthed archival recordings - including demos, interviews, and live performances.

Seriously, buy this now, and sign up for the Bandcamp subscription... It's an important historical moment.

xo, karl/jnr

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 12.20.2023, 11:52 PM   #624
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Continuing the physical vs virtual discussion. From Robert Christgau's newletter (bolding is mine):

Quote:
After decades of fielding promos, along with whatever you’ve acquired on your own, how do you manage your physical collection inside of a 21st century NYC? And are you happier now that most review content is sent digitally? — Joe Siiva, Atlanta.

With insufficient space and ever-increasing difficulty. Any intellectual my age [81] has to start pondering how to dispose of his library, but usually those faced with that ever-expanding dilemma aren’t also working full-time. I am. That said, it’s high on my to-do list and may even be something I want to write about. And I should add that as I’ve indicated before here, I much prefer physicals, especially CDs—in part because they’re simple to stick a bunch in a changer for an informal compare-and-contrast but also because, just as with e-books versus printed books, I find listening to streamed music different psychologically from putting CDs in a changer. In both cases I’m old enough to be somewhat disoriented by its lack of materiality.

Old 12.21.2023, 03:50 PM   #625
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Continuing the physical vs virtual discussion. From Robert Christgau's newletter (bolding is mine):
"disoriented by its lack of materiality": what is "materiality"? (a big fucking dick xD)

to me, in the case of recorded music, the speaker ends up being the most "material" (materially dense?) element of the delivery chain. it's what makes the air vibrate, just like an instrument. so its physical properties are what makes the most difference to my bones and eardrums and such

music in itself is *cough* "information" i guess. what is information, oooff, then begs the question: what is consciousness? call the philosophers...

more practically, most music these days is recorded digitally anyway. that ship has long sailed. the packets of bits christgau likes in his "cd changer" (it always was an ugly and clunky device) can be equally arranged in a simple playlist if he only knew how to operate the software. we have lossless now, not mp3. hell, current hi-res lossless is way better quality than cd audio, which makes the old medium even plastickier by comparison. just ask neil jung and his pono player (haha, jung)

not to say that objects can't be nice. they often are. i like some objects (like my coffee grinder). but they are something else. the "psychological" effect christgau feels is just the aura of obsolete plastic coasters staring at him from his shelves, screaming of fire hazards and depreciation

anyway re:moving, there is a really great movie about book collectors. i think it's called "the collectors"? it illustrates the way a certain group of people suffer for their vice/fetish

NO! actually it's not the collectors, it's THE BOOKSELLERS

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9355194/

very good if you like the subject (i do). watch if you can. streaming ok! (no film strip or projector required lol). glorious and desperate at the same time. the parts that deal with moving, oh, i can relate... but only in memory. those new york apartments crammed with books are a must-see!

-

hey, you know what's actually material? the sun. and sunlight. so happy solstice

(eh, all matter is also information... information, i forget who proposed, might be a third or fifth or some kind of matter. maybe it's all there is... https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/articl...n-fundamental/ )
Old 12.29.2023, 05:13 PM   #626
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Bandcamp Friday lives! Next one: February 2.

https://isitbandcampfriday.com/

Old 01.04.2024, 04:59 PM   #627
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
music in itself is *cough* "information" i guess. what is information, oooff, then begs the question: what is consciousness? call the philosophers...

anthony braxton would like to differ:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1KTvkvOZVj/
Old 02.29.2024, 04:51 PM   #628
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

From TFS via Bandcamp:

Quote:
Tomorrow, Friday, March 1st, is Bandcamp Friday, and the Tropical Fuck Storm catalog will be available as Name Your Price downloads from midnight to midnight PST at tropicalfstorm.bandcamp.com

Amazing! But pay SOMETHING! Don't be a mook!

Old 03.01.2024, 02:09 AM   #629
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Jessica Moss released a new song (42 minutes composition), also a name your price release

_tunic_ is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2024, 10:23 AM   #630
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Another one, from Damon & Naomi:

Quote:
It’s #BandcampFriday - please support artists and music workers. Bandcamp should never have fired our comrades, neither should Pitchfork and others. Music and journalism are in crisis cause consolidated capital is out of control. Our downloads are pay-as-you-wish:
damonandnaomi.bandcamp.com

Old 03.06.2024, 10:16 PM   #631
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

3 tunes for 3 bucks for a good cause. Buy it:

Quote:
Frayed Rope Sessions
by Sleater-Kinney

Sleater-Kinney will donate all net proceeds from all sales of the Frayed Rope EP on Bandcamp through Friday March 8th to Noise For Now.

Noise For Now is a nonprofit organization working in the field of Reproductive Justice across the country.

releases March 8, 2024

Old 03.24.2024, 05:54 AM   #632
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
Cease Silence

Cease Silence is a new project by Dead Rat Orchestra, organised in response to the genocide in Gaza. Daniel, Nathan and Robin have rallied their showbiz mates to create a fundraising compilation, featuring music by 48 artists from over a dozen countries, all of whom are united in opposition to the Israeli government's military action against the civilian population of Gaza.

The album features more than 4 hours of music, including contributions from antigen favourites John Callaghan, Sealionwoman, Dorian Wood, Rev Simpkins and Sutari. Plus, the first new Dead Rat Orchestra track in almost 6 years. The playlist was curated by ethnomusicologist Dr Noel Lobley and the album features artwork by Nurse With Wound collaborator James Worse.

All proceeds go to Médecins Sans Frontières and the Palestinian Red Crescent, to fund urgent relief work in the face of the ever-worsening humanitarian crisis.

You can purchase Cease Silence for £15 (or more, if you can afford it) from ceasesilence.bandcamp.com/album/cease-silence-2

4½ hours of music is a lot to digest in one sitting. So Jason from antigen records has selected some of his favourites for episode 39 of the Antigen Internet Radio show: sfob.podbean.com/e/antigen-internet-radio-episode-39-realm-of-twilight/

_tunic_ is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
293031 32
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth