Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Carlos Castaneda
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.27.2006, 12:27 AM   #1
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
I am looking for opinions on his books. & I am also asking what other great books he has done. I have read, "A Seperate Reality, Further Conversations w/ Don Juan" several times. & I have loved it everytime I have read it. So, I am wanting to know more about him & his writng.
Please help me on this quest to search for further enlightenment. Jah bless
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 07:20 AM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I've never been able to really enjoy books about drug experiences, maybe becasueI don't do drugs myself. But Aleister Crowley's Diary of a Drug Fiend (and his relevent diary entries) and Evelyn Waugh's The Ordeal o Gilbert Pinfold are exceptions.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 07:25 AM   #3
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
I think Carlos is one of the perfect authors for this subject. He's very descriptive, describing small things, like what he was standing next to. Things like that. & you have to be very descriptive of a drug experience. I don't deal w/ drugs anymore, but when I did, this was the book I could relate to the most.
-George Carlin
Old 03.27.2006, 01:43 PM   #4
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
it's all bullshit, but it's a fun read. i read "a yanqui way of knowledge" and it's pretty interesting. it definitely got stuck in my head. even if you don't take drugs, it's a really interesting book about shamanism and altering consciousness. but definitely a work of FICTION, though carlos would like to tell us otherwise.

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 01:51 PM   #5
spiritbears
bad moon rising

spiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-festspiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
sonikold has is right....(about the fiction part anyway)
carlos was a fucking shiester...
ripped-off mother-fucker....
his claims are total bullshit....
i wouldn't mind his writings if he had just said...yah i took mushrooms and this is what i saw....
but no...he had to create this bullshit story how a "Shaman" showed him the way....
TOTAL BULLSHIT>>>>>>
totally offensive to indians.....especially the Yaqui
carlos castenada=liar and a thief....
Old 03.27.2006, 05:42 PM   #6
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Well, I think it's more interesting way to tell a story, then just plain old facts. It is a fiction book, but it is a lot more difficult to write fictisious stories, than actual events. Besides, doesn't any person have the right to write what they want, & how they want to write it. Give Carlos a break.
-George Carlin
Old 03.27.2006, 05:57 PM   #7
spiritbears
bad moon rising

spiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-festspiritbears has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
no he is a fraud and a culture raper....he will get no break.....the problem marley, is he never copped to his fraud...he kept claiming his story was the truth...if you think he is such hot shit...why don't you head over to indianz.com and post on thier board about carlos and see the reaction you get.....
fiction is fine...when you aren't ripping off and offending someone else's culture.....and claiming it as the truth...
Old 03.27.2006, 05:59 PM   #8
spiritbears
bad moon rising

marley....
i know you are "seeking".....why don't you try your own culture...aldus huxley or timothy leary or william s burroughs.....
Old 03.27.2006, 06:00 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
stick with the Don Juan series. The books were considered non fiction for the past thirty odd years, and there have been dozen of college courses offered using the books as text. of course, in the 90s, it was changed to fiction because the story isn't a precise account. Consider the Don Juan series a story of a man's experience with power plants, kinda like the Bible. It isn't fact, yet it isn't fiction. There is much truth in those books, my testimony is my experience, and the magic of spirit is taught in those teachings of Don Juan. It is impossible for them to be fiction, because I have experienced much of it, and this is before ever coming in contact with those books. reading those books was like going through my memories at times, so I must say they are real to a degree. check em ALL out! and be careful, magic aint not joke kinda thing!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2006, 06:00 PM   #10
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

spiritbears:
I can understand your anger & bitterness for him making up stories about a race of people. Anyway, what did you expect him to write when he was on all that mescaline. (ha ha)
-George Carlin
Old 03.27.2006, 06:03 PM   #11
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

SuchfriendsareDangerous:
Thank you for that marvelous insight. JAH! Rastafari
-George Carlin
Old 03.27.2006, 06:03 PM   #12
spiritbears
bad moon rising

such friends...your logic is astounding....
fact: no DonJaun existed...
fact: what castenada claimed as Yaqui traditions and culture are NOT.....
Old 03.27.2006, 06:05 PM   #13
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

I've read some T.Leary, & W.S.Burroughs. & I've loved every word I read.
Good suggestions spiritbear.
-George Carlin
Old 03.27.2006, 06:06 PM   #14
spiritbears
bad moon rising

marly....i think you would really enjoy huxley...."doors of perception" and brave new world....
Old 03.27.2006, 06:10 PM   #15
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Thanks for the suggestions spiritbear. I will definetly check those out.
-George Carlin
Old 03.28.2006, 04:50 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
spirit bear, i am aware that there was probably no "don juan" hence my biblical analogy. I am also aware that intellectuals and scholars bash the books as being innaccurate, but we are talking about a people who have experienced colonialism. not all of the secrets make it into the textbooks you know.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2006, 05:57 PM   #17
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
speaking of bullshit, leary's "psychedelic book of the dead" trip guide actually causes more bad trips. i'm not into that institutional drug stuff either.

i do think castaneda has some interesting parts that describe trips & such pretty well. he's no terence mckenna, though.

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2006, 06:09 PM   #18
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
You're better off reading Harry Potter.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth