Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page ████████ Essentials #1: Abba Gold
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.22.2008, 12:20 PM   #1
████████
little trouble girl

████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses
(so sorry. that's ███████ not ████████)

I just got this CD in the mail. I've never heard Abba before, but when the first track "Dancing Queen" came on, I felt compelled to masturbate. I haven't stopped touching myself since.'

also...

Anyone looking for the key to Abba's enduring appeal should look no further than "Voulez Vous" and "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" for their answer. There was an innocence to the Swedish quartet, even when they were singing about one-night stands and the invitations to them. Gold establishes that the band, while appreciated as campy, were actually multifaceted in their execution. "S.O.S." has a raw urgency in its chorus, and "Does Your Mother Know" draws its energy from classic '50s rock & roll. Likewise, you don't have to be Priscilla to swoon over "Mamma Mia" or "Dancing Queen." And when it comes to drama, those soaring vocals on "The Winner Takes It All" turn the song into a bitter anthem of every relationship that has ever fallen apart. The much-covered "Lay All Your Love on Me" is practically epic.
████████ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
The only essential album that exists outside of Gould's Goldberg variations. It might not be my favourite album ever, but if you need to know anything about great music, it's all here. Abba gold wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2008, 12:28 PM   #3
punkaspoo
children of satan

punkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's asses
If Björn's or Benny's first name were Sven, Abba would have been called Saab.

punkaspoo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2008, 12:30 PM   #4
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I think this album sucks big time. The Millennium Collection: The Best of ABBA condenses the group's hits into an 11-song best-of-the-best compilation that includes "Waterloo," "Dancing Queen," "Take a Chance on Me," and "S.O.S.," "Mamma Mia," "Fernando," and "The Winner Takes It All" are some of the other highlights of this brief but enjoyable collection, which may please casual fans that lack the patience for Gold's 19 tracks. Do you really NEED those extra 8 tracks? I didn't think so.

so...recap: The Millennium Collection: The Best of ABBA = YES. Abba Gold = O, FUCK NO.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Lay all your love on me; Money money money; Voulez Vous - 3 good reasons why you need Gold, although I'll grant you that 'I have a dream' is perhaps not the most essential song ever written. Those filthy synths in lay all your love on me though - it's hard to believe anyone ever had sex before that song was written.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 09.22.2008, 12:50 PM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I have no idea what yr talking about.

I just cut/paste some review I found posted about Abba, and added a few extra words to make it mine.

do you really think I'd listen to that crap? I'm not prick enough.

that said, I'm glad yr happy!
Old 09.22.2008, 12:55 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

What's pricky about listening to fucking amazing music, you prick?

Quote:
Old 09.22.2008, 12:57 PM   #8
████████
little trouble girl

████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses████████ kicks all y'all's asses
If you belong to the majority who think that Agnetha was the glamorous one in ABBA, you could do a lot worse than read her 1996 memoir As I Am. In fact, you don't even need to read it: chapter titles such as Abba's Last Tour Was a Success But Awful for Me and I Remember the Last Awful Thump tell you all you need to know.

How did we not notice how miserable Agnetha was during ABBA's glory years? Look at her in the video to Take a Chance on Me, bedecked in the knitwear of self-loathing, too self-conscious to even smile properly. Why did grown-ups deem her the sexy one when the minx-eyed Frida was standing right next to her?

The new ABBA GOLD DVD yields few clear answers. Frida gives a stunning account of herself throughout. Watch her and Benny fumbling in the bushes in the video for The Name of the Game; or Lasse Halström's video for Summer Night City, boasting verité-style footage of the hungover couple returning home at dawn. Unlike Agnetha, who resented all the fame and attention, Frida seemed unbothered by what anyone thought of her.

Behold the boudoir silliness of the sleeve of her 1976 solo album. No one who ever took themselves too seriously ever posed for a picture like that. Ditto her post-divorce punk barnet? The kind of perplexing Ziggy Stardust coiffure that happens when you say "surprise me!" to a drunken hairdresser. By all accounts, Frida was one of the boys; a party animal who embraced the touring life with open arms.

And as befits a bon vivant, her post-ABBA life saw her getting hitched to a prince. Cool! Which made her a princess. Double cool!! And what did Agnetha do? She made a load of bad solo albums, wrote that book and entered a relationship with a weird Dutchman who turned out have a dead turtle and a bucket of poo in his front room. So you still think that blondes have more fun?

I'll be right back, I need another box of tissues. The socks are in the dryer.
Old 09.22.2008, 12:59 PM   #9
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

^^^ fuck off already, mini-fishstix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
What's pricky about listening to fucking amazing music, you prick?

are you trolling me now? I'll have you know that I practically invented trolling. Dan Quayle can eat a bag of dicks.

what's next? Glice Essentials #666: Sea Shanties?
Old 09.22.2008, 01:18 PM   #10
Glice
invito al cielo

Ha. I actually uploaded some sea shanties for fugazifan not that long ago.

Quote:
Old 09.22.2008, 01:20 PM   #11
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

of course you did. my eye sees all.
Old 09.22.2008, 01:22 PM   #12
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
lester was into abba

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2008, 06:15 PM   #13
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
s.o.s is probably my favorite abba song. they truly are one of the top ten best musical acts ever. ever.
Old 09.22.2008, 06:17 PM   #14
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
You all deserve to die.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2008, 06:24 PM   #15
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Art Bell did his best to ruin "Dancing Queen," although it's such a great classic song that even his nitwit snakeoil salesman self couldn't murky it up fully.

And now this Mamma Mia! stage show and motion picture madness surely has cast a further discernable cultural pall on the ABBA legacy. The masses may be getting turned on, but music lovers are rightfully ashamed.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 01:05 AM   #16
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I just got Abba Gold, will listen from beginning to end now.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.23.2008, 01:23 AM   #17
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Apart from one of two lesser choons, Abba Gold is Win all the way.
Old 09.23.2008, 02:57 PM   #18
████████
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
You all deserve to die.

Would you like a nice tall glass of shut the fuck up?

This is a thread for ABAB lovers. All other "people" (and I say "people" even though it's obvious that you do not possess a shread of humanity) can stay away from my thread. We do not want the trolls, we only want the ABBA. Now that I think about it, you make want to throw up my lunch (hotpockets - pepperoni) and spit it out at old ladies. I will tell them that I am you and they will find you and kick your sissy-ass like they should and can!!!!! :LOL:

I have a serious question. Have you ever been raped by a donkey? I bet you have. Your post smells like donkey rape. And a long session of donkey rape at that! I'm talking about 10 meters of donkey dong right up your pooper. Oh, you like that now, don't you Mr. Trolls? I knew it. I can smell a donkey rape lover from a kilometer away.

It is really fucking disgusting how we come to make posts about SONIC YOUTH and ABBA and you are so high and mighty on your mighty chair that you just look stoopid. Really stoopid. HaHaHa! All the people here are going to see my post and know that you, Mr. Pookie are not a person who is good in bed because you are too occupied with that smell that is on your fingers. You know, that smell that smells like DONKEY RAPE????

Old 09.23.2008, 03:17 PM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Yeah! Donkey rape! Yeah!

Quote:
Old 09.23.2008, 03:37 PM   #20
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ████████
Would you like a nice tall glass of shut the fuck up?

This is a thread for ABAB lovers. All other "people" (and I say "people" even though it's obvious that you do not possess a shread of humanity) can stay away from my thread. We do not want the trolls, we only want the ABBA. Now that I think about it, you make want to throw up my lunch (hotpockets - pepperoni) and spit it out at old ladies. I will tell them that I am you and they will find you and kick your sissy-ass like they should and can!!!!! :LOL:

I have a serious question. Have you ever been raped by a donkey? I bet you have. Your post smells like donkey rape. And a long session of donkey rape at that! I'm talking about 10 meters of donkey dong right up your pooper. Oh, you like that now, don't you Mr. Trolls? I knew it. I can smell a donkey rape lover from a kilometer away.

It is really fucking disgusting how we come to make posts about SONIC YOUTH and ABBA and you are so high and mighty on your mighty chair that you just look stoopid. Really stoopid. HaHaHa! All the people here are going to see my post and know that you, Mr. Pookie are not a person who is good in bed because you are too occupied with that smell that is on your fingers. You know, that smell that smells like DONKEY RAPE????

I agree with and fully support this post.

good for you, ████████. good for you!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth