Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums of 2019
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.26.2019, 07:37 PM   #81
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Hey, what's with this comment, by the way? Jenny's a young woman, 43. Julianne Moore is 58, Mariska Hargitay is 55, and they're both hotter than a urinary infection.

Yeah, I realized that. I have no explanation. You’re right. I almost deleted it, but whatever.

EDIT: Oh, I remember... For some reason I thought that was Annie Potts’ bosom on the album cover because I read this thing scrolling through my phone and replied in kind very quickly as is my way.

I forgot that. Yeah. I’m dumb as fuck but that’s the deal.

Annie Potts is amazing, and y’know what, she has held up well!

Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2019, 07:47 PM   #82
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
[...] because I read this thing scrolling through my phone [...]

Fuckin' burn that thing. For real.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2019, 08:12 PM   #83
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Fuckin' burn that thing. For real.

Technically can’t. Also no. Also don’t want to. Plus fuck you, sir
Old 01.26.2019, 10:59 PM   #84
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
For some reason I thought that was Annie Potts’ bosom on the album cover because I read this thing scrolling through my phone and replied in kind very quickly as is my way.

I forgot that. Yeah. I’m dumb as fuck but that’s the deal.

Annie Potts is amazing, and y’know what, she has held up well!

OT as fuck (sue me):

Quote:
Sony Pictures has announced Ghostbusters 3's release dates during prime season of summer 2020. The currently untitled Ghostbusters film (which will ignore the 2016 reboot and directly follow Ghostbusters 1 & 2) will drop on July 10, 2020.

Academy Award nominee Jason Reitman (Up in the Air, Juno) will be directing and co-writing the new Ghostbusters movie, taking up the mantle from his father Ivan Reitman who directed the original Ghostbusters (1984) and Ghostbusters 2 (1989). The younger Reitman also had a memorable cameo in the second film.

The screenplay will be co-written by Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan (Monster House, Poltergeist), with an aim to begin production later this year. While it is currently unknown who of the surviving core Ghostbusters cast (Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver, Annie Potts, Rick Moranis) will return, it has been reported that Reitman is looking to cast four teen actors (two boys and two girls) in lead roles to tackle supernatural baddies.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 02.02.2019, 09:22 PM   #85
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out now. NOW!

Exclusive Album Premiere: Robert Pollard Talks Guided By Voices' Massive New Album Zeppelin Over China

https://www.guidedbyvoices.com/

Old 02.02.2019, 09:36 PM   #86
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out now: Masaki Batoh, Nowhere.

Quote:
We come from nowhere and fade back there again. Masaki Batoh's Nowhere reaches out of that darkness, with strings of steel and voices echoing out of time — a vast space echoing with the music of many eras, played and sung in tongues of many nations. Batoh is opening the door for you — if you are able to pass through, Nowhere is waiting for you.

https://masakibatoh.bandcamp.com/album/nowhere

https://www.dragcity.com/news/2019-0...n-from-nowhere

Old 02.02.2019, 09:48 PM   #87
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Preemptive strike to those who have given me shit for liking The Hold Steady: Out April 26: Craig Finn, I Need A New War.

From Partisan Records:

Quote:
Craig Finn will complete his trilogy of rich storytelling records with I Need A New War out April 26th!

"Blankets," the opening track, contains a lifetime within its four minutes... There's a sensation of instability, but also a spirit of inevitability, and as with so much of what Finn weaves, there's grace through it all. —NPR Music

https://craigfinn.net/

https://craigfinn.bandcamp.com/

Old 02.08.2019, 08:11 PM   #88
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out today: Michael Chapman, True North.

From Paradise Of Bachelors:

Quote:
Michael Chapman's masterful new album True North is out today worldwide, now available to stream, download, and purchase from your favorite ethereal or concrete marketplace. Read on for the rapturous praise from the likes of The Times, The Wire, MOJO, Uncut, The Guardian, Associated Press, Aquarium Drunkard, and more. Check out the wine-red edition of the LP via our unboxing video below and pour yourself a nice glass of red wine while you listen and pine for your copy to arrive in the post.

http://www.paradiseofbachelors.com/m...day-worldwide/

Nice, longer description here:

https://michaelchapman.bandcamp.com/album/true-north

Old 02.08.2019, 08:38 PM   #89
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out March 22:

https://threelobed.bandcamp.com/album/new-rain-duets

Old 02.13.2019, 03:07 PM   #90
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

"I wanna hold her, wanna hold her tight / Get DJ Kicks right through the night...!"

From Bandcamp:

Quote:
The 68th edition of the DJ-Kicks mix series is another landmark one, with experimental producer Laurel Halo taking the reins. The American's adventurous 29 track trip features seven exclusives, including two of her own plus those from Rrose, Machinewoman, FIT Siegel, Nick León and Ikonika.

An electronic outlier, Halo hails from Ann Arbor, Michigan, but has been based in Berlin for a number of years. Landing on labels like Hyperdub, Honest Jon's and Latency, Halo has released a body of work ranging in style, yet cohered by production and compositional tendencies that sound distinctly her own. Her studio work tends to be a multi-layered mix of the electronic and the acoustic, the organic and the synthetic. As a DJ, meanwhile, she lays down more floor-focussed mixes of techno, bass and worldly drum rhythms, and her live sets are similarly visceral and direct.

Halo's DJ-kicks packs a lot in to just 60 minutes. It kicks off with the first of two of her own exclusives, "Public Art", a tactile piano loop that sets the melodic tone of the mix in focus. Crunchy drums soon take over and begin what is a blistering ride through electro, trippy minimalism and textures that range from icy and dubby to steel plated and sharp from the likes of Red Axes, Parris and an exclusive from Rrose.

Another exclusive, rough and ready cut from Machinewoman follows, before the mid section twists and turns on surging drum patterns, frantic industrial textures and spaced out gqom sounds from the likes of Griffit Vigo, Dario Zenker and Final Cut. This is a mix forever on the move: one minute its tightly coiled and kinetic, the next it's loose and joyful before switching into more cerebral and insular passages that keep you intrigued.

Fusing together so many disparate sounds and textures is no mean feat, but like everything Halo does, here they all add up to something as thrilling and edgy as it is unpredictable and compelling.

releases March 22, 2019

https://laurelhalo.bandcamp.com/albu...ks-laurel-halo

Old 02.13.2019, 06:41 PM   #91
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out May 3: Filthy Friends, Emerald Valley.

Quote:
The first releases from Filthy Friends, the scorchingly melodic rock group whose membership consists of some of the most original musical voices of the past three decades, came as a small, delightful shock to the system. Not only because of the names associated with the project, including Sleater-Kinney co-founder Corin Tucker, R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck and indie stalwarts Scott McCaughey and Kurt Bloch, but also because of how ably they were able to mesh their individual sounds into a crackling melodic whole on debut album Invitation.

Now, with their follow-up—Emerald Valley, out on Kill Rock Stars on May 3rd—the Friends have proven their collective mettle, crafting a thematic suite of songs that finds the quintet digging deeper into their bag of musical tricks and giving Tucker room to rage about and mourn the fate of our planet and the people who inhabit it.

The core idea came from a demo Buck shared with Tucker for a grinding blues song that eventually turned into this new album's title track. The minute she heard it, Tucker says, it sparked something within her: "I had this long poem growing in my brain," she says. "It turned into a sort of manifesto about the kind of place we are at as a country but also as a region. Just taking stock of where we're at and feeling like I can't believe we let things get this bad."

While Emerald Valley starts off with idyllic imagery ("Rolling fields, they speak your name/vibrant green is here again"), the album and its title track slowly reveal the ugly underneath, with human arrogance and hubris hurting the Earth and the people who take on "backbreaking work for little pay."

From there, the Friends address growing concerns over oil production and distribution ("Pipeline"), gentrification and income inequality within the band's hometown of Portland, Oregon ("One Flew East"), and taking on the voice of the desperate souls that are getting crushed under the wheels of capitalism ("Last Chance County"). The band paints these themes with many different shades of the rock palette, nestling a snapping punk tune between a bit of jangly pop and an almost-shoegaze ballad, with stops along the way for songs that burn as hot and move as slow as lava and tunes that stay steady and fast as a rocket launch.

Emerald Valley is also a testament the indefatigable spirit of the Filthy Friends themselves. Scott McCaughey bounced back from a stroke he suffered in late 2017, which curtailed the band's tour plans and is playing with more fire than ever. As well, Corin Tucker and Peter Buck were able to devise some amazing work even as their creative energies were being pulled toward other projects like Arthur Buck and Sleater-Kinney. Too, the band was able to bring a new member into the fold with drummer Linda Pitmon coming on board to replace Bill Rieflin without losing an ounce of their power.

We could all take a lesson from Filthy Friends. As proven by Emerald Valley, when a group of like-minded people gather their individual strengths together and point them toward a singular goal, there's no telling how powerful they can become and what an impact they can make on the world at large.

https://filthyfriends.bandcamp.com/

https://www.killrockstars.com/artists/filthy-friends

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news...w_album_share/

Old 02.13.2019, 07:21 PM   #92
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out yesterday: Flock Of Dimes/Madeline Kenney - "The Sisters"/"Helpless" 7".

Quote:
Jenn Wasner and Madeline Kenney met in 2018 to work on Kenney's record Perfect Shapes. Having discovered in that recording session a host of creative and personal compatibilities, the two have teamed up to release two new songs together—"Helpless" and "The Sisters." The split single, to be released on Carpark Records, is the result of a year spent both touring and living together as roommates resulting in a closely intertwining and overlapping set of experiences. Together as a whole the songs explore the attempt to make sense of life as an artist in an industry that values style over substance, particularly for women who refuse to have their artistry seen only through the filter of their own physicality.

https://madelinekenney.bandcamp.com/...sters-helpless

http://store.carparkrecords.com/prod...sters-helpless

http://www.undertheradarmag.com/news/flock_of_dimes_jenn_wasner_and_madeline_kenney_sha re_new_songs_announce_joi/

Old 02.14.2019, 12:29 PM   #93
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

Anoyo by Tim Hecker

releases May 10, 2019

Kranky site says that it's a companion album to Tim Hecker's landmark 2018 work, Konoyo.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.15.2019, 03:20 PM   #94
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Kranky site says that it's a companion album to Tim Hecker's landmark 2018 work, Konoyo.

http://brainwashed.com/common/htdocs.../krank219.html

"Hecker will stage a series of special performances in tandem with the album's release, featuring members of the gagaku ensemble on sho, ryuteki and hichiriki, accompanied by Kara-Lis Coverdale."

NOICE.

Old 02.15.2019, 03:27 PM   #95
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
"I wanna hold her, wanna hold her tight / Get DJ Kicks right through the night...!"

Y'know, a guy makes a perfectly bitchen Undertones reference and nobody says jack squat. You people are dead inside!

Old 02.15.2019, 04:43 PM   #96
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out now: Tom Rainey Trio (Rainey/Laubrock/Halvorson) - Combobulated.

Quote:
In his trio, Tom Rainey – one of the busiest drummers on the New York scene – has united with two of his closest musical allies. Ingrid Laubrock, the saxophonist extraordinaire who left England for the USA some years ago, causing quite a stir with her own band projects as well as in groups from Anthony Braxton to Mike Reed. Plus Mary Halvorson who in recent years has earned herself a superb reputation as one of the most interesting guitarists in contemporary jazz and has worked in projects with musicians ranging from John Zorn to Yo La Tengo, as well as with her own groups. Both Laubrock and Halvorson who are also active composers took first places in the DownBeat 2018 Int'l Critics Poll. With these outright individualists Rainey founded his trio in 2009 which now celebrates its tenth anniversary.

The album was recorded live in the Firehouse 12 in New Haven, Connecticut, in front of an audience (concert hall and studio at the same time) neither renouncing studio quality nor the aura of an audience. David Torn, whom Tom Rainey has known for a long time as a musician and studio specialist, took over the post-production. With Combobulated Rainey takes another giant step into the future.

Mary Halvorson: Guitar
Ingrid Laubrock: Saxophones
Tom Rainey: Drums

Music by Tom Rainey, Mary Halvorson and Ingrid Laubrock
Recorded live at Firehouse 12 on September 15, 2017
Released February 8, 2019

https://intaktrec.bandcamp.com/album...ed-24bit-44khz (24/44)

https://intaktrec.bandcamp.com/album/combobulated (16/44)

http://www.intaktrec.ch/316-a.htm (physical release)

Old 02.15.2019, 07:56 PM   #97
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Out now: Tom Rainey Trio (Rainey/Laubrock/Halvorson) - Combobulated.

https://intaktrec.bandcamp.com/album...ed-24bit-44khz (24/44)

https://intaktrec.bandcamp.com/album/combobulated (16/44)

http://www.intaktrec.ch/316-a.htm (physical release)

Thanks for this! Mary is so prolific
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.21.2019, 08:02 PM   #98
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
Thanks for this! Mary is so prolific

Among 2.7 billion other recordings, Mary and Ingrid are also on Laubrock's Contemporary Chaos Practices: Two Works For Orchestra With Soloists, released late last year.

Quote:
Ingrid Laubrock's credentials as an ambitious, skillful composer of intricate yet visceral works for small ensembles is well established – not least on the evidence of her excellent, much-admired Intakt recordings. Whether writing for conventionally constituted assemblages like her quintet Anti-House, or for a more unusual complement, like the mix of tuba, koto, electronics, and more that she convened two years ago for Serpentines, Laubrock has demonstrated a formidable capacity for writing music of intricacy, integrity, and broad appeal.

The critic Steve Smith writes in the liner notes: "The present recording, recorded in a studio by an ensemble of first-call freelancers led by two ideally sympathetic conductors, Eric Wubbels and Taylor Ho Bynum, provides eloquent evidence of what Laubrock has achieved. Both of her orchestral pieces – Vogelfrei, with its variegated textures, animated rhythms, swooping vocals, and inexorable momentum; and Contemporary Chaos Practices, where four instantly distinguishable soloists (Mary Halvorson, Davis, Wooley, and Laubrock herself) retain their individuality while negotiating a brilliantly rendered aural landscape – serve notice of an estimable composer who has something to say, and knows exactly how to say it."

https://laubrock-intakt.bandcamp.com...-with-soloists (16/44)

https://laubrock-intakt.bandcamp.com...ts-24bit-96khz (24/96)

http://www.intaktrec.ch/314-a.htm and your friendly neighbor record store (or Jeff Bezos): physical release.

Old 02.21.2019, 08:11 PM   #99
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

From the archival department:

Quote:
On March 29th, Dischord will release Autoclave's discography on a single LP for the first time ever. This 12" combines the band's 7" and 10" singles as well as two extra demo tracks. The music has been remastered from the original tapes by TJ Lipple and cut for vinyl by Bob Weston at CMS.

Christina Billotte and Melissa Berkoff initially began playing together in a Washington, D.C. band called Hazmat in 1989, but then joined up with Nikki Chapman and Mary Timony to form Autoclave. The group lasted for one year and played only a handful of shows.

In 1991, the quartet released a three-song 7" on the "DisKord" label -- a joint effort between Dischord and Olympia, Washington's K Records. The band's second release was a posthumous 10" that came out via Billotte's label, Mira Records.

Following Autoclave's dissolution, Billotte would go on to perform in Slant 6, Quix-o-tic, and The Casual Dots. Timony formed the bands Helium and Ex Hex in addition to releasing four records under her own name.

https://autoclave.bandcamp.com/album/s-t

Old 02.21.2019, 09:50 PM   #100
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_

Anoyo by Tim Hecker

releases May 10, 2019

*yes!*
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth