Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY at ATP Monticello
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.07.2010, 09:06 AM   #1
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
just to give you a quick rundown on SY related stuff:

I got there late for Thurston and Jim Jarmusch q n a, everybody was in a pretty good mood etc. of course 1st record purchased q came up and Jarmusch said he doesnt remember but it was probably a 45 by the stones, probably 19th Nervous Breakdown or something along those lines, and thurston said his 1st was Inagaddavida. Someone asked t about the drifter guitar and he told a story about how he came over kims apt 1st time and she had that guitar. someone asked him a about Gene Simmons how theres no difference between Led Zeppelin and SY, meaning different genres in music are overstated and t told a story how Simmons once came to their show in LA and was asking about where are the women? Also t. told a story about Joey Ramone, when someone asked Joey why he just stood there with his leg up on the monitor Joey said "did you see Iggy Pop?"(this got a big laugh and applause) Also T asked Jim what his first show was in NYC and jim said it was probably New York Dolls, so t told the story how it was probably at Mercer Arts Center since the Dolls were a regular tuesday band there, then he told a story how Television became regular tuesday band at CB's cause they wanted to be like the Dolls. and that's the hightlights I guess better write it down before i forget it, some dude from Criterion Collection was moderating and it was being taped by pro vid crew, so i guess there is a chance this will make it to video one day...

after that it was Text of Light on the second stage, doors were kept closed until the band started to play, this was a pretty harsh noise set i think probably the harshest set Ive ever seen ToL play, not easy to take for the average person (lot of people split the scene, its nice to see metalheads walk out of a gig like this), I did not recognize the film although I think I have seen it before, now I just dont remember...

Halloogallo you know the drill, I think this was the same set as at the Lincoln Center.

SY- I wont say much except you know how you always meet somebody at a show who's like "I've seen Sonic Youth on every tour since 19xx (late 80s or early 90s) but this was the best show I've ever seen them play" it was that kind of show. like I said before only slight downer might have been the fact expway was not played.

Next day Thurston did a set of 3 new songs on acoustic (my memory might be off here) plus an electric g. noise set w/ Bill Nace.

as far as other stuff - Iggy and the Stooges did a killer set which was being filmed for a live dvd, it was kind of shocking to see Mike Watt struggle with that brace on his leg (kneecap dislocation), but still a great set I thought, even if some people thought the sound was off, from what i read there on wfmu board. Iggy sounded great, def nothing wrong with his voice. Security cordon in front of the stage was a buzzkill though, did we really need to have those people blocking off the stage?

Id also rate Shellac as one of the best sets of the weekend, that was on Saturday. Last day I'd say Fucked Up were really fucking good, plus Vivian Girls, with their new drummer, not to slight their two previous drummers but this new one has some real skill... lots of other stuff happened like some chick getting all sexy/touchy w/a security guy during Iggy's set right in the pit, plus seeing some dude getting arrested on Sat. over something stupid, do you really need to get state police involved over some stupid shit?

ok thats it/

this video is not a Sonic Youth video, this is a Iggy and the Stooges video, it's called "IGGY!BABY!You fell on top of me!!!": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL1K-pV1PNI

edit: http://twitter.com/adrienneday/status/23246315177 10) Jim Jarmusch and Thurston Moore's silly but entertaining exchange about "weird New York" - this jogged my memory-
Jim told a story of walking down some street, (I think Bowery?) and passing these two heroin addict bums hunched over arguing about something and he overheard one of them say, "Im not talking about films Dennis Hopper acted in, Im talking about the ones he directed!" and thurston told a story about street prostitutes, how on the way home at night they were all over, trying to stay warm by the fires in those big oil drums, and then jim said oh yeah some transvestite prostitutes asked him on a train once how he got his hair so white, which hairdresser he went to. and that once someone called him pretentious asshole for dying his hair white and wearing all black clothes and making b&w movies, although he doesnt even dye his hair, it is naturally white, so a no win situation...

also one part that was fun - Jimmy J. watching Raekwon, throwing up the W for Wu-Tang Clan, that was pretty awesome
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 04:20 PM   #2
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz
after that it was Text of Light on the second stage, doors were kept closed until the band started to play, this was a pretty harsh noise set i think probably the harshest set Ive ever seen ToL play, not easy to take for the average person (lot of people split the scene, its nice to see metalheads walk out of a gig like this), I did not recognize the film although I think I have seen it before, now I just dont remember...

I know you've seen them several times so I take you seriously when you say it was 'harsh' - the poissant rouge set was very heavy, but I didn't think it was harsh.

Did they only play 10 mins, or was that how long some sissy reviewer I saw on another site lasted before fleeing?
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 04:55 PM   #3
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
expressway was not played?

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 07:38 PM   #4
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
ToL was pretty noisy. they needed a full screen, too.

x/way was not played due to time constraints curfew, which kinda sucked since SY was ~10 min late to the stage.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 07:53 PM   #5
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQUEvyaI2pE

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2010, 11:19 PM   #6
donnie
little trouble girl

donnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's assesdonnie kicks all y'all's asses
there is nobody like Watt
donnie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.08.2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't make it to LPR set last week. might have been a test run. ok here is some footage from ATP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JtVvjfIM1w
The ceiling in that room was pretty low, but I think shadows of people on the screen made a pretty eerie scene, the movie was kind of scary, with that planet mercury or the moon, I'm not sure, and people with eyes scratched off... yikes, they played hard!
Old 09.09.2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Georgekrz
stalker

"Neither of us suspected that we were about to see the best Sonic Youth set of our lives..... That’s not just a highlight of the weekend. That’s a highlight of my whole life."

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/09/08/w...-2010-day-two/

also what that guy wrote about Shellac doing "The End of Radio" as one of the great moments, I have to absolutely agree, I get chills down the spine just thinking about it now.

"Other highlights of the set were an epic ‘Cross the Breeze’, and the one-two punch of ‘Catholic Block’ into ‘Stereo Sanctity’" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H-gtVmShLY
Old 09.10.2010, 03:17 PM   #9
ennui61
empty page

ennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's assesennui61 kicks all y'all's asses
George did you make it over to the Celebrate Brooklyn SY show? Pretty much the same songs as ATP but a full set. I thought the Brooklyn show was far better than ATP. But hell I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as a bad SY show or even a good SY show. They amaze me everytime I see them.
ennui61 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth